6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SRL Tune!! Wow!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 PM
92will
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRL Tune!! Wow!??

I did my EGR delete this past weekend and loaded Matt's unlimited tow tune as that will be what I use most pulling our new fifth wheel. This morning I loaded the SRL tune and holy crap!! I cant believe the throttle response and acceleration with this tune. I have read some of you say it felt like a different truck. You were not kidding.

But

I am concerned about causing trouble with it. It literally accelerates so hard, I feel like it is going to break something. I have read that this tune is safe for non-studded trucks (like mine) as long as your foot is not in it all the time, but I cant help but think about the strain on everything accelerating a 8500 pound truck that quick. I mean if feels like I could take on a new Mustang or Camaro with this thing? Maybe not. haha.

We are picking up out camper next week so I will have it back on unlimited tow almost all the time. I would like to pick either the SRL or the 8k tow for mileage when using it as DD.

Thoughts?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:12 PM
wildcat421
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I here ya, just installed the same tune on my 06 stock heads. The SRL tune does say safe for non studded trucks. And if you watch your boost on hard acceleration the boost only goes to about 20-22 pounds. Just about everyone here will tell you to monitor engine vitals with something like a scan guage II. I would also suugest monitoring EGT temps and fuel pressure. If you monitor these things you can pretty much see any problems before they become a major problem. I haven't tried the 8,000# tow tune yet. Is it a big difference from the SRL? I here the trans shifting is nicer with the tow tune. With SRL tune on full throttle I get quit a bit of black smoke. I may have Matt fix that.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
load the SLR and go find a Mustang... or two!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcat421
I here ya, just installed the same tune on my 06 stock heads. The SRL tune does say safe for non studded trucks. And if you watch your boost on hard acceleration the boost only goes to about 20-22 pounds. Just about everyone here will tell you to monitor engine vitals with something like a scan guage II. I would also suugest monitoring EGT temps and fuel pressure. If you monitor these things you can pretty mush see any problems before they become a major problem. I haven't tried the 8,000# tow tune yet. Is it a big difference from the SRL? I here the trans shifting is nicer with the tow tune. With SRL tune on full throttle I get quit a bit of black smoke. I may have Matt fix that.
8k sucks compared to the srl tunes.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 PM
rocco7869
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 92will
I did my EGR delete this past weekend and loaded Matt's unlimited tow tune as that will be what I use most pulling our new fifth wheel. This morning I loaded the SRL tune and holy crap!! I cant believe the throttle response and acceleration with this tune. I have read some of you say it felt like a different truck. You were not kidding.

But

I am concerned about causing trouble with it. It literally accelerates so hard, I feel like it is going to break something. I have read that this tune is safe for non-studded trucks (like mine) as long as your foot is not in it all the time, but I cant help but think about the strain on everything accelerating a 8500 pound truck that quick. I mean if feels like I could take on a new Mustang or Camaro with this thing? Maybe not. haha.

We are picking up out camper next week so I will have it back on unlimited tow almost all the time. I would like to pick either the SRL or the 8k tow for mileage when using it as DD.

Thoughts?
I run the SRL as a daily driver as I like the power when I want it. I am non-studded and don't really care about fuel mileage. When I tow my 6k# boat, I use the 8k# tow tune. I baby it when I'm towing and usually never get it over 65mph anyway but I like the shifting with it when I'm towing. I understand that the 8k tow tune has a little pep for when you need it, but the unlimited tow tune is all tranny tune.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 AM
92will
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed with the unlimited tow tune that the boost only went to about 20 or so. It would jump to 22 or so at WOT then back down to around 20. Now this is right after the egr delete so maybe it is natural to have less boost with the egr cooler gone? Idk. I used to see 26 psi easy and sometimes almost 30 but since the delete, I haven't seen above 24, but the truck has not lost any power.

Anyway, I wont use the 8k tow tune when towing because I will be towing about 13k+ when we get all loaded up. So I may stay with the SRL during DD and unlimited tow when towing. I have plans for gauges so I can watch EGTs and fuel pressure, but I don't have them yet. When I do, I may try 8k tow tune and watch the gauges for something out of whack.

The 8k tune says you can tow 8k non studded and 13k studded. Why? I could understand high boost pressures, but high EGTs are high EGTs whether you have studs or not? Right?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
8k sucks compared to the srl tunes. Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Agreed, I tried running it once to see what it would do for mileage and Man did I miss the Power of SRL!!!

8K/13K is hereby relegated to strictly to tow duty. SRL+ and SRLX are my daily driver tunes.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I use the 8k as a daily driver.

I like the SRL as well, just not happy with the 2-3 shift.

As for less boost with EGR delete, that seems to be somewhat common.

Josh

Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Josh
I'm in the same boat Josh. 8k as Daily Driver.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 PM
wildcat421
Senior User
Well I had some fun today with the SRL tune. Took my father-in-law for a ride today and he couldn't believe how the truck ran. I then launched her in 4 wheel drive at about 2000 rpm and about broke his neck. LOL

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Agreed, I tried running it once to see what it would do for mileage and Man did I miss the Power of SRL!!!

8K/13K is hereby relegated to strictly to tow duty. SRL+ and SRLX are my daily driver tunes.
How is the SRL XX over the SLR+?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:31 PM
wildcat421
Senior User

Josh
I agree the 2-3 shift is a bit aggressive. 4-5 shift is hardly noticeable. I will try 8,000 tow tune soon. Still enjoying the SRL to much. And fuel mileage is terrible with the SRL. Because of my right foot having a severe case of drop foot. Hope it clears up on its own, may need medication. LOL

Old 04-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
How is the SRL XX over the SLR+?
It has WAY more huevos throughout the RPMs, you feel it more at the bottom and mid range.

I love it!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Josh
I have the same issue with my srl+, that's why I stopped using it. Matt did revise my tune like 7 times arms still the same.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:26 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by 92will

The 8k tune says you can tow 8k non studded and 13k studded. Why? I could understand high boost pressures, but high EGTs are high EGTs whether you have studs or not? Right?

Heat is heat, high EGT's can be sustained for a minimal amount of time or you will drill a hole in the piston.

Quick Reply: SRL Tune!! Wow!??