1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Rear brake shoes placemente

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
tasboj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear brake shoes placemente

Hey guys need you help I am doing my rear brakes, the adjuster cable broke so since Im this far in to it I might as well do a brake job, my question is does the short shoe go in front or rear wen I install them back. Need my truck for work tomorrow thanks in advance.

TASBOJ.....................................

Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Short shoe front, long shoe rear.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts
Correct answer in ~ 1 (one) minute. You're slippin' Ultra, you're slippin'!!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Hey, I JUST got home from work, ok?

....And I might add, only take one side apart and reassemble it using the other side as a guide to put the parts on by.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
"Who was that masked man?"

Old 04-02-2015, 07:05 PM
tasboj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Hey, I JUST got home from work, ok?

....And I might add, only take one side apart and reassemble it using the other side as a guide to put the parts on by.
Sorry I took to long to reply but had to get the truck fixed for work tomorrow,Thanks ultra for the quick response, usually thats what I do but today I got cocky and it came back and bit me, and then I tried to search for the answer and nothing, so here I am asking for your guys help. Thanks again.

TASBOJ...................................

Old 04-02-2015, 07:12 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Brake shoes are like rabbit legs .
The short ones go in front ....
I never have forgot that .

Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tasboj
Sorry I took to long to reply but had to get the truck fixed for work tomorrow,Thanks ultra for the quick response, usually thats what I do but today I got cocky and it came back and bit me, and then I tried to search for the answer and nothing, so here I am asking for your guys help. Thanks again.

TASBOJ...................................
Glad if I could help.

Sorry I took so long to respond to your initial question. Next time, I' ll try to be more Johnny-on-the-spot in making a reply.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:21 AM
rews2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Brake shoes are like rabbit legs .
The short ones go in front ....
I never have forgot that .
I've never heard that one, it's a good way to remember. I did my rears this past weekend I was having an issue with the passenger side not spinning freely. Driver side adjuster had broken away from the cable and was roaming around inside the drum and had ground down. Passenger side return spring had broke, of course the only thing I didn't buy before starting the job. Replaced both wheel cylinders as well, a PO at some point rounded off the brake line fitting into one of the cylinders so it's not as tight as I would like, not sure how I'm going to tighten it down without causing more damage. Luckily it's not my driver so she's sitting waiting to be finished this weekend.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rews2
I've never heard that one, it's a good way to remember. I did my rears this past weekend I was having an issue with the passenger side not spinning freely. Driver side adjuster had broken away from the cable and was roaming around inside the drum and had ground down. Passenger side return spring had broke, of course the only thing I didn't buy before starting the job. Replaced both wheel cylinders as well, a PO at some point rounded off the brake line fitting into one of the cylinders so it's not as tight as I would like, not sure how I'm going to tighten it down without causing more damage. Luckily it's not my driver so she's sitting waiting to be finished this weekend.
Aw man time to replace it tubing take it off and head to your nearest auto parts store match it up with the closest size. Buy a tube cuter & flaring tool cut your own size.

Orich

Old 04-03-2015, 01:01 PM
rews2
Senior User
Originally Posted by orich
Aw man time to replace it tubing take it off and head to your nearest auto parts store match it up with the closest size. Buy a tube cuter & flaring tool cut your own size.

Orich
The brake line would be in straight lengths? Then it's a bend yourself type thing? Then the end fittings are sold also? My only stores close are AZ and Oreilys so I want as much information as possible both stores are not deep with knowledge people. I have a little hand held tubing bender and tube cutter so would just need flare tool.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:40 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by rews2
The brake line would be in straight lengths? Then it's a bend yourself type thing? Then the end fittings are sold also? My only stores close are AZ and Oreilys so I want as much information as possible both stores are not deep with knowledge people. I have a little hand held tubing bender and tube cutter so would just need flare tool.
Or measure the length of that tube. End to end. Those parts stores usually carry brake/fuel tubes of various lengths that have fittings and flares already. The fittings will be industry standard. SAE though, not metric lines. Orich, they are 3/16" lines,correct? You may get lucky they have one length being "close enough".

Old 04-03-2015, 06:24 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Or measure the length of that tube. End to end. Those parts stores usually carry brake/fuel tubes of various lengths that have fittings and flares already. The fittings will be industry standard. SAE though, not metric lines. Orich, they are 3/16" lines,correct? You may get lucky they have one length being "close enough".
Yup 3/16 is your tube size, those part stores both have made up lines in the back part of the store hanging up. So ask to see them.

I once made up the correct length by using two lines coupled together.

Or one that is to long give you some length to practice making a double flare end.

Go on youtube if not your not up to date on how to use the end insert for double flaring tool. They have the coated & uncoated for anti rust protection.

Orich

Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 PM
rews2
Senior User
Thanks guys I'll let you know how it turns out. This will be my first attempt at doing flare end fittings so extra line will be a good thing for practice. Since I'm green, what's the difference between a double flare end?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
The straight lengths of brake tubing (3/16" dia. is what will be needed) come with two 3/8"-24 fittings attached.

3/8"-24 fittings are the standard size line fitting for 3/16" brake tubing. Ford also used 7/16"-24, 1/2"-20, 9/16"-18 and 5/8"-18 fittings on 3/16" dia. tubing on items like MCs and on brake valves. Most parts stores do not carry these specialty sizes but, you can get them through Classic Tube.

The wheel cylinders, or brake hoses for calipers, will require the standard 3/8"-24 fittings.

I generally buy 60" straight lengths of brake tubing and then bend them, cut them to length and then double flare the ends.

The original hard line running across the back of the rear end on my truck had a good bit of surface rust pits in it when I bought it. Pits, dings or crimps in a hard line are weak spots that can blow out and cause you to lose your brakes.

I used the old hard lines as a template to make new ones for the rear end.

Quick Reply: Rear brake shoes placemente