Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Brake master questions

Old 04-02-2015, 02:18 PM
filthy6
Elder User
filthy6 has a good reputation on FTE.filthy6 has a good reputation on FTE.filthy6 has a good reputation on FTE.
Brake master questions

Good morning. Can anyone tell me what year brake master I have based on the stamped number 23128? Important because I want to upgrade to a dual master reservoir and a power booster and want to use the original firewall mounting holes and original pedals. Has anyone made the upgrade that remembers the details? Also, for now I plan on staying with the drum brakes front and rear but may upgrade to disc in front later. Do I need a proportioning valve either way? Thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 PM
economan
Senior User
economan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Easy as pie conversion.....providing you have an auto trans.
I did the complete conversion in just over 2 hrs.
I used a booster/master combo off of an 88ish Dodge 150 pickup
It's been a few years since I did the conversion, The booster will bolt onto the firewall thru the original master cyl. holes you just have to slot them a wee bit using a drill bit.
I seem to remember also using the original push rod, though I can't remember if it was the ford or the dodge rod.
I didn't have to use a proportioning valve either, it works just fine, I did have to change the brass brake distribution block form a 3 to a 4 hole and adapt the brake light switch and of coarse lengthen the wires a bit.
So overall a cheap easy conversion lotsa these master/booster combos still kickin' round the wrecking yards and notta lotta new hardware to buy just a couple of lines and a distribution block.
any other ?s fell free to contact me, "economan(at)Hotmail.com" I'd post ya some pics but the truck is still in winter storage and not easy accessable but if yer real stuck I can get out to it over the weeknd at some point and click some off.

Mikie
near Ottawa Canada
58 M-100 Panel & 64 econoline p/u

Old 04-02-2015, 09:54 PM
filthy6
Elder User
filthy6 has a good reputation on FTE.filthy6 has a good reputation on FTE.filthy6 has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the info economan. I am not as good at sifting through parts and making matches as you are. Knowing that it can be done makes it easier for me to work through the problems. I have found combos on Ebay that have everything already put together and for not much more than a replacement master. Still I would like to fab something, preferably with ford parts so I can replace or repair. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 PM
economan
Senior User
Don't think of em' as "Ford Parts" in this day n' age you gotta think of em as what they are...Bendix, TRW, Bosch, Delphi, etc. Vehicles are no longer "built" by the company who's name is on the grille They are assembled from parts acquired from the cheapest bidder. Little story here for ya that happened to me a few years ago... I was working on a PDI at a GM dealer and came across a broken latch on a console lid of a brand new S-10. I had to separate the lining from the top vinyl armrest in order to remove the latch to replace it.... well... whaddya think I came face to face with inside on the mold stamping but a Chrysler pentastar, Guess the two companies were buying from the same supplier that particular week.
The master/booster assembly I recommend is actually a bendix brand. Bendix supplied a lotta ford's brake components in the late 50s.
I just recommend that u give this conversion a real hard look as it's sooo easy you'd think it was made for our trucks. And parts will be forever available just as they are for vintage fords
mikie
Near Ottawa Canada
58 m-100 panel & 64 econoline p/u

Old 04-04-2015, 11:10 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Originally Posted by economan View Post
Don't think of em' as "Ford Parts" in this day n' age you gotta think of em as what they are...Bendix, TRW, Bosch, Delphi, etc. Vehicles are no longer "built" by the company who's name is on the grille They are assembled from parts acquired from the cheapest bidder. Little story here for ya that happened to me a few years ago... I was working on a PDI at a GM dealer and came across a broken latch on a console lid of a brand new S-10. I had to separate the lining from the top vinyl armrest in order to remove the latch to replace it.... well... whaddya think I came face to face with inside on the mold stamping but a Chrysler pentastar, Guess the two companies were buying from the same supplier that particular week.
The master/booster assembly I recommend is actually a bendix brand. Bendix supplied a lotta ford's brake components in the late 50s.
I just recommend that u give this conversion a real hard look as it's sooo easy you'd think it was made for our trucks. And parts will be forever available just as they are for vintage fords
mikie
Near Ottawa Canada
58 m-100 panel & 64 econoline p/u
It can't be stated any better than you just did Economan. Teacher maybe? I will follow your advice, thanks.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM
economan
Senior User
Was a teacher for several years.
Used to teach whitewater kayak and a bitta canoe.
and when your on a massive river like the ottawa you gotta be consise,
notta lotta room for screwing up with a buncha newbies in your charge.
M