Sponsored by: Moser

SYNC Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 AM
1creigh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC Dead

The media button on SYNC quit working last week(2010 F150, six cd player, no navigation). No voice commands or phone, also can not perform the "Master Reset" because the phone button on dash does not work. I have had this issue before and pulling fuse 13 for a couple of minutes always fixed it. Pulling the fuse no longer fixes the problem. I also tried disconnecting the battery. I left the cable off overnight and still no luck. I came across a similar problem being fixed by a ACM reprogramming TSB ( SYNC (possibly) Fixed by TSB 11-10-22) on a another forum. Has anyone heard of the reprogramming working on a dead SYNC system when the hard reset was tried and did not solve the problem?
Dealer did not want to reprogram ACM and told me need a new APIM for $700.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:24 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hi 1creigh,

I sent a PM to the Ford rep who covers this kind of thing and asked them to check your thread out. I don't have any idea of whether or not this TSB would help, but they might.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 AM
1creigh
New User
Thanks Tom,
Also I have seen used APIMs for sale. Has anyone replaced a dead unit with a used one? From what the service tech told me the modules are set up by vehicle VIN number. Not sure how another VIN number would affect it working if the used module is from the same year truck with the same (radio) system.

Charlie

Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 1creigh
The media button on SYNC quit working last week(2010 F150, six cd player, no navigation). No voice commands or phone, also can not perform the "Master Reset" because the phone button on dash does not work. I have had this issue before and pulling fuse 13 for a couple of minutes always fixed it. Pulling the fuse no longer fixes the problem. I also tried disconnecting the battery. I left the cable off overnight and still no luck. I came across a similar problem being fixed by a ACM reprogramming TSB ( SYNC (possibly) Fixed by TSB 11-10-22) on a another forum. Has anyone heard of the reprogramming working on a dead SYNC system when the hard reset was tried and did not solve the problem?
Hi 1creigh,

The master reset is the best troubleshooting option I am able to offer over the forum. Since you've already tried that, I'd like to take a closer look to see how I can best assist. Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, current mileage, phone number, and dealership information.

Originally Posted by Tom
Hi 1creigh,

I sent a PM to the Ford rep who covers this kind of thing and asked them to check your thread out. I don't have any idea of whether or not this TSB would help, but they might.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Tom. I appreciate it.

Kim

Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 PM
glass_joe099
Junior User
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm having an issue with my factory integrated stereo. It started cutting out a few months back. It would just shut off or not power up at all and the clock would blink the correct time over and over. The compass and thermometer worked just fine. I tried installing an aftermarket stereo with a replacement radio interface and all that but the radio is not getting 12 volts through the red accessory wire. Can I PM you further details on how I wired up the new unit and other troubleshooting steps I've taken?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:35 PM
wilcam47
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1creigh
Ooops noticed yours is a 2010 this is for a 2014
Have you tried pulling the sync fuse? Its on the passenger side down by where your right foot would be. Pull that cover and underneath is another cover pop that off and the #2 fuse is the sync fuse. As you look at the fuses it towards the front of the vehicle second from the top. Pull it for 2-3 minutes then install the fuse again. Try that see if it works.

Page 229
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...us_09_2013.pdf

Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 PM
mjbrown1992
New User
SYNC dead after update

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi 1creigh,

The master reset is the best troubleshooting option I am able to offer over the forum. Since you've already tried that, I'd like to take a closer look to see how I can best assist. Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, current mileage, phone number, and dealership information.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Tom. I appreciate it.

Kim
Kim, I am having an issue with my truck and figured you'd be a good resource. Went to download new update to SYNC on 2010 F-150. Midway through download the status bar froze halfway, called Ford and said they cannot do anything but they will look into issue. I ended up unplugging USB thumbdrive and now SYNC (bluetooth, install, USB recognition, Phone calls) is completely ruined. I tried master reset but that option doesn't even appear on my unit any more (I lost about half of my functionality). The only things that work are radio, satellite radio, navigation. I tried #13 fuse reset, nothing. Ford ended up calling back claiming that SYNC update file was corrupted and that's why my unit is not operating anymore. Advised me to go to Ford Service for fix and they said I have bad USB connectivity (cable doesnt work anymore) and possibly APIM needs replacement, quoted me $1200. For something free to Ford owners, this SYNC update that had a corrupt file completely destroyed my system. Kind of confused how bad file would ruin hardware (cable, APIM). Can you shed any light? Solutions?

Old 05-04-2019, 02:12 PM
1101base2
New User
I have a 2010 f150 I bought used and it has the same or very similar problem. When i click on the Aux on the stereo the display will say sync, then cut back over to the radio. I have tried removing fuse 13 for periods of time and checked that the sync module is getting power. The previous owner of the vehicle was an avid smoker so I went as far as to open the sync module and clean it out with 99% isopropyl alcohol the same as I would do when cleaning out electronics when repairing them (what i do for a living). I can test that it is getting voltage, but beyond that i'm unable to tell where it is failing. I have also pulled the battery to the truck when I was away for a long weekend and that did not clear the issue either.

Is there anything that can be done to recover this module such as reload the firmware from an external computer/usb drive or if I buy a replacement module from a wrecked f150 can it be synced to my truck? Or am I better off going with an aftermarket stereo at this point because for $1,200 i could get a decent replacement including new speakers for that price.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Broncoguy89
Senior User
Same issue. looking for part number BL3T-14B428-AD off the sync module, and no one seems to have one.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Broncoguy89
Senior User
i take it that a cl3t-14b428-ad wouldnt work from a 2012