Desperate!! I need feedback 5.4 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:59 AM
yourfavgui
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desperate!! I need feedback 5.4 engine

I bought my 05 expy 7 months ago with 99K miles it had signs of cam-phaser failure so I replaced the whole front of the engine. Last month at 108K miles started again with all the classic signs of cam-phaser failure (rough idle, stalling, sounds like a diesel). I attempted every fix possible to no avail, I took it to our Ford dealer and they said low oil pressure has caused cylinder wall damage = NEW ENGINE.
So I bought a re-manned engine from a local shop with upgraded oil pump and ratcheting tentioners to avoid chain slap and new VVT solenoids. I installed it and have the exact same problems. I took it back to the dealer because they miss-diagnosed it and they said again engine failure. I get a P0012 for bank 1 over retarded. I'm sooo angry that I've spent $4500 and nothing was fixed. I think there is a PCM issue or wiring problem.

Please help, I believe someone has a fix for this

Thanks
Mark

Old 05-04-2015, 10:01 PM
RYNSULLY
New User
feel your pain

Bud I see no ones provided you with any direction. I know those ford dealerships devastate wallet, I'm sorry to hear that. If you invested over 4k with no resolution. I'd sell that bank breaker asap. Start fresh and have peace of mind.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Kevint343
New User
Originally Posted by yourfavgui
I bought my 05 expy 7 months ago with 99K miles it had signs of cam-phaser failure so I replaced the whole front of the engine. Last month at 108K miles started again with all the classic signs of cam-phaser failure (rough idle, stalling, sounds like a diesel). I attempted every fix possible to no avail, I took it to our Ford dealer and they said low oil pressure has caused cylinder wall damage = NEW ENGINE.
So I bought a re-manned engine from a local shop with upgraded oil pump and ratcheting tentioners to avoid chain slap and new VVT solenoids. I installed it and have the exact same problems. I took it back to the dealer because they miss-diagnosed it and they said again engine failure. I get a P0012 for bank 1 over retarded. I'm sooo angry that I've spent $4500 and nothing was fixed. I think there is a PCM issue or wiring problem.

Please help, I believe someone has a fix for this

Thanks
Mark

I think what alot of people dont realize with this code is that if your getting it only when the truck is warm that you most likely have an overheating problem. The passenger side is the first side that gets shut down in an overheating event. I only know cause ive chased this problem with my own truck. My truck is the 5.4 3v roush supercharged model but there is no difference, we had my truck on the dyno a few weeks ago and it started acting up and threw this code poo12, all the gauges in the truck showed right in the normal area like there were no issues. But The tuner showed me on his laptop that the trucks coolant was at 230 degrees and it was overheating it tripped this code and overetarded passengers side bank. People need to understand that these gauge clusters are very very very innacurate, you need to plug in a moniter and actually see what your parameters are at because these engines do not run correctly over 200degrees. Ive added another aux fan and sctx4 livewire moniter and had no issues since, i think this is the problem alot of people are not even realizing that they have throwing 1000's of dollars at a simple problem. Oil pressure, voltage and coolant will almost always never show above normal parameters on your gauges. Your oil pressure could be at 10 and it will show on the gauge like its 40-50 and youd never know its a joke really.