1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

95 Ford Powerstroke NO START. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Jason7.3LPowerstroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Ford Powerstroke NO START. Need help.

Howdy Y'all,

Ill give you guys the complete lowdown on my truck and my situation. Ive been reading a lot of threads for a while and there not quite what im going through. Ill give you all the information I have.

I bought my truck in 2012 from my father. My father bought it brand used in 2000 for $26,000. I grew up in this truck my entire life so my goal is to get her bacl going again.

It was my daily driver after some work to get her gping again in 2012. Batteries, CPS, Map, fuel filter, new MagnaForce air intake, and oil change. Drove the truck for a while intil a day before my birthday last year (4/8/94)

In April last year i got into a accident. A idiotic young and dumb accident i regret every day. I was driving on the beach at Folsom lake and i judged a 8 foot deep water canal for a puddle and processed to try and make it through. I hit the water at about 35mph. I submerge my truck half way up my doors and almost to my windshield. When i hit the water i shut my truck off but it happened so fast i do not know if i shut it off before it hydrolocked or if i shut if off in time.

We got it out of the hole and like a idiot when the water stopped running off my truck i tried to start it. The starter hit the flywheel and couldnt turn the motor over. I got it towed home and processed to work on it some to see what i can do.

I pulled my intake system back to the turbo and there was water in my turbo. BAD sign. So i kept digging in. I pulled my valve covers and removed my glow plugs so i could turn it over. Welp i got em all out except for one. It broke off in the head due to carbon buid up. To my fathers knowledge the glowplugs are from the factory and never been replaced. My truck has 200,000miles on the clock by the way. The broken glow plug still has enough room to get needle nose vise grips on it i just never had a good set to get a good bite on it. So with one still in the head i got the motor to turn by hand and no water came out of the glow plug holes or the exhaust. So thats how she sat for a few months. In the process of moving and not wanting to loose parts i put the motor back together with the old glow plugs and the broken on in it. (Money is tight right now). So within the last two weeks ive been working on it again. I got two brand new batteries and wanted to see what would happen. She turns over and sounds normal internally from what i can hear. So i started to see why its not firing

I replaced the starter. Then the CPS. Then i checked #22 fuse and its fine.

I tried unpluggin the ICP, also the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve sensor(correct me if im wrong). And still nothing.

I can hear my glow plug relay click on but not click off. I have no tried jumping it with a screwdriver yet though.

Im getting white smoke out of my tail pipe.

My rpm gauge is moving when its cranking

My "wait to start" light comes on and off.

My CEL sometimes comes on when it starting and sometimes not.

So this is where im stuck. Any help is worth the insite. I know you guys will bag on me for the glow plug situation so im prepaired for it. Say whatever y'all want. Thank you in advance for the help!!

- Jason E.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
How's the fuel situation? Have you checked fuel pressure? Did you get any water in the fuel? If there is white smoke the injectors are firing, but I wonder if all are? I'd probably pull the idm and see if there is water in it too.

Welcome to fte.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have white smoke then it's trying to do something. Have you tried plugging in the block heater for a couple of hours first?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Jason7.3LPowerstroke
New User
I have not tried plugging the block in yet. Im working on my truck in storage so power isnt a option unless i have a generator or a power inverter. How long does it take for my truck to warm up in California Weather if its plugged in? Also, i opened the fuel filter cap and the fuel seemed normal to me. No water. Fuel didnt seem different and the bowl was full. Where is the Idm and what does it do? Ill pull it and check for water but sense its been a year sense this happened i figure all of the water has evaporated to some extent. Thank you guysbfor the fast reply!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Jason7.3LPowerstroke
New User
Okay so im thinkng its the IDM. Givin the location and the typical issue of getting water damaged i think that is my issue. I do not have the money to replace it even if i go with the guy in Florida who rebuilds them for $300. I want to swap it with another 7.3L IDM but i dont know anyone who really has one anymore and all my local yards dont have any powerstrokes that are not absolutely raped for every last nut and bolt. So if anyone knows where i can find a used one that works for a cheaper price that would be awesome!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
A 99-03 idm will work as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Jason7.3LPowerstroke
New User
Yeah I've been reading around these threads to see and I came across that imformation. 94.5-02 should work but id like to find a 100v so I dont risk burning my valve cover wiring harness too fast from running 110v or 120v. I cant afford to replace it at the moment.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I understand. It shouldn't be a problem. Lots of guys have 140v idm's on them.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:16 AM
Jason7.3LPowerstroke
New User
Okay, so i called all my local "junk yards" here in Sacramento and looks like everyone thinks these used IDMs are gold. Haha. Cheapest i found was $289 + tax. I know there brand new from Ford for $800+ but holly crap thats expensive. Nothing on craigslist and i couldnt find any on the classifieds on this forum. After a few phone calls i found one my friend has he will sell me for $100. Decent deal and he is local. Hes gonna let me put it in my truck to see if that is my problem. If it doesnt work ill give him some gas money and continue looking into the issue. From what i head these get damaged from water die to there location and givin my story of submerging the truck i think thats my issue. Plus the one he has is a 120v. Will it give me noticeable difference in performance and/or cause issues? I think not from what i have herd but I always ask the dumb questions. Also, i found a pcm through the same guy for the same price if thats my issue. When i get her running ill build a thread of my truck and show you guysthe rebirth project of getting my beloved family air loom OBS back on the road. Thank youagain for all the help and information.

MOOSE, if your local, i owe you a beer!