1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor and pad selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM
NHRA racer 303
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotor and pad selection

Hello everyone. Winter is just about over. And im prepping the F-450 for another season of towing. The brakes feel like theyve seen better days. And i was wondering what brand of parts i should go with. I definitely want a higher quality material. Ive heard that the ford brand was the way to go. But since i race. I know that there is an after market for everything. The truck weighs 14k, and the loaded trailer is 11k. Its a typical goose neck set up. Thank you in advance. Steve

Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The brakes that come on the truck are semi-metalic. You can go to most any parts house and get the premium semi-metalic pads for approx $100 a set. Even the standard duty pads they sell would meet or exceed the pads you have now. Most pads come with lifetime warranty now. I would check the mounting hardware to see if it needs replaced.

The thing is, if the pads are made in the USA, there is generally only a couple companies that make them. They are then boxed for say NAPA or Advance Auto or Autozone. Sometimes the higher price is for the parts house name which does not make them a better part than another parts house.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:06 PM
wbrook_ford
Junior User
Id go with the Ford or Motorcraft brakes. Never had any issues with the OEM parts on the farm truck.

Another big thing that contributes to good brake feel is having new, clean brake fluid. I change mine every 2 years, and in that time it goes from clear to dark brown and nasty. Id make sure that gets done, considering you're towing constantly.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 PM
NHRA racer 303
New User
Thank you guys. I appreciate it. I dont usually pay much attention to brake fluid. But i am hauling a lot of weight. Do you just run it straight through the bleeders?
Steve

Old 03-07-2015, 07:07 PM
wbrook_ford
Junior User
Yep straight out the bleeder port on each caliper. There are 2 ways to do it. Either have a helper pump the pedal, or get one of those nifty resivoir pressurizer tanks. First, start at the rear brakes, and make sure you get new clear fluid out of each one. It might take a bit, there's a lot of brake lines on the back.
Then when the back are done, go to the front right hand, then front LH.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
I went with the Motorcraft (red box) pads and rotors after doing lots of searching on this site. I don't tow but I'm sure the OEM or Motorcraft will work for you as well.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X2 on motorcraft. I got a really good deal off of ebay through a dealership. I found the part number online through the ford parts site.

That does take a bit of extra time though.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been a 'lover' of Hawk brakes - but not of their current price. Motorcraft has what appears to be three levels of brakes (basic part numbers are 1333 & 1334) without a lot difference in pricing and with both ends costing about what one end cost for Hawks.

The severe duty version, BRSD 1333 and 1334 are what I'm looking at right now since I do pull a 12K plus, 38 foot 5th wheel. My question is to the folks here - does anyone have experience with those pads and if so, how did they 'treat' the rotors? Dust? Noise? I will be using new rotors at least on the front and probably only cleaning any wear ridge off on the rears assuming that the cooling air vents aren't rotted.

'Nother question - also going to flush the brake lines. Any preference for fluid? I generally use Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 and have had good luck so far. Anyone found a better choice that's easily found?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since we're having a brake discussion, sure the oem pads work fine , and hawks might be better, but how about upgraded rotors that dissipate heat better?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
DieselWMB
New User
Just installed the PowerStop Tow rotor & pad kit about 6 weeks ago. Rotors are slotted and cross-drilled. Pads are ceramic. Performance is as good if not better than OEM. No complaints whatsoever.

Power Stop Truck & Tow Brake Kit - Power Stop Truck Brake Pads & Rotors

Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by gfl
Since we're having a brake discussion, sure the oem pads work fine , and hawks might be better, but how about upgraded rotors that dissipate heat better?
Those that I asked about were not OEM but the Motorcraft fleet severe duty.

As far as upgraded rotors - I don't have warm and fuzzies with the slotted and drilled. I've used Wilwood race calipers with solid rotors that have worked great. Then there is the fact that there is none to minimal pad out gassing now that the slotted and drilled rotors would help though I don't think it hurts to have those (anywhere but your wallet)

I've also looked at the Powerstops and they have been considered

Old 03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselWMB
Just installed the PowerStop Tow rotor & pad kit about 6 weeks ago. Rotors are slotted and cross-drilled. Pads are ceramic. Performance is as good if not better than OEM. No complaints whatsoever.

Power Stop Truck & Tow Brake Kit - Power Stop Truck Brake Pads & Rotors

I just did the same kit several weeks ago. I am amazed at the difference. These will throw your toupe' on the dashboard. The brake fade is gone when they heat up and I have noticed very little brake dust. I got the whole kit off Amazon for less than $200.

I went with this kit because it was highly recommended by some co workers that have lots of miles on them towing enclosed trailers and Travel trailers. They have said that they replaced before with OEM rotors and would warp under extreme and constant braking. Also that the Powerstop rotors have yet to warp. I do not tow as much as they do, so I am giving them a whirl. That's my $0.2 worth.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM
phredE
Junior User
2008 Dually Crew Cab 4x4, and I tow heavy equipment 2 or 3 times a week on the highway. I used Raybestos R-300 slotted rotors on the front with Raybestos Professional Grade semi-metallic. These do not fade like the OE brakes did. Also, I have 80K miles on them and they are beginning to show signs of wear on both the pads and the rotor. I have no complaints on stopping, pedal feel, or wear. It appears I will get a lot better mileage out of these than the OE's. I am sure there are better rotors and pads out there but these were reasonably priced and they work just fine for my application.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my camping spots requires me to pull down into 2nd for a few miles, and feather the brakes, even with that, I have to be careful to not ride them too much, or I can feel the rotors start to warp, thus far they seem fine after they cool.

I wonder about just having hi perf brakes on the fronts, for those that get snow/ice, I'd think they'd tend to lock easier, making winter driving a challenge

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Weeeelllll, this is now a done deal. I looked and spent hours trying to make my mind up. I unlocked the vault and just a couple hours ago placed an order for a 4 wheel set - a Powerstop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow Rotor and Pad Kit K545936. These are supposedly their best towing brakes plus their best drilled and slotted rotor. The pads are for all intent, ceramic and my preference as my past history with metallic is not good as far as noise and rotor wear. As far as 'dusting' no idea, but ceramics are usually not too bad. I'm still not convinced that drilled rotors are anything more then a gimmick, but we'll see ... and maybe I'll change my mind.

I'll try to remember to do an update/review after they are installed and have a few miles on them - but no promises

Quick Reply: Brake rotor and pad selection