Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key fob/key programming questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
key fob/key programming questions

ok im searching the interwebs and I know the ford sequence for programming keys with the PASK (I think thats what its called) if the turn the ignition to the ACC for less then 8-10 seconds, and then repeat for each key you want to program, which I know is ok for my Mustang, but I can't seem to find any thing for our trucks key less entery system and how to program new keys and fobs.

Does anyone have ANY info on this process? Im going to order some new blanks here shortly and cust two for the mustang, and two for the truck (they are the key/fob combo keys but want to know the process before I order and cut the keys (don't want to waste time or money if its not going to be possible on my truck).

Thanks for the assistance guys!!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Joel Husby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There should not be any programming involved with these keys.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Joel Husby
New User
OK I read your post a little more thoroughly this time. As I am reading, you want to get the Key that has the FOB built into the head of the key. I am not entirely sure it will work. Those are shipped keys, your truck should not have a chip in it at all. I am not even sure the key it self will fit into the ignition.
As for the key fob programming, you have to jump the wires on the transponder box.
I am not entirely sure on the mustang. I believe that, that key is a transponder key only. 164-R8040

Old 03-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Joel Husby
New User
Sorry Jaime I just edited my last post and for some reason it is not showing up. I think I fat fingered it, so lets try this again.
Your 2004 Mustang is a 164-R8040 Key. This is a chipped key, but I do not think a combo FOB Key will work.
How to program a transponder key.
You need to have two working keys. The must all ready start your vehicle. If not, ignore the rest you have to bring it to the dealership to program new keys if you only have one.
What you need to do is have 2 working keys. Be at the ready with them because this process has to be dont quickly. Not lightning fast but dont take your time.
Take key one (key 1 & 2 are both all ready working keys, key 3 will be your new one) and insert it into the ignition and put it into the "On Position" but do NOT turn it on. then turn it off and pull it out.
Take key 2 and do exactly the same thing you just did with key 1.
Then take Key 3, turn it to the on position and hold it there, the security light should come on and then turn of. Once it is off this is how you know it is programmed, try and start it.
In case this is messed up. Make sure you have the vehicle in a good spot where it can sit, and you do not need to go anywhere for a bit. If the process is messed up bad enough, the car may go into fail safe mode and lock you out even with the working keys. It will think someone is trying to tamper with the system and lock up. You have to wait 45 min for it to unlock its self
FYI, you can have up to 8 Keys stored onto this vehicle. If you have more then 8 you need to bring it to a dealer and have them wipe the codes of the keys and start again.

To program the fob.
Take a working key and turn it to the on position without starting it, and do that rapidly 7 or 8 times. You will here the locks cycle when the car goes into programming mode. Hit any button on your new fob and you are good to go.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
yes, thats the process im thinking of, I know for my Mustang thats how it should go, is this the same for my truck? if I am understanding you correctly the truck in theory should NOT have a chip system, however my truck has both key less entry and the classic Ford "THEFT" light in it (it flashes), which leads me to think it has a similar system to the Mustang??

EDIT: found this info after doing a more generic search and looks to be similar, as far as I can see looks like it should work with what want to do, now to locate this terminal....YAY!

1. Turn ignition to RUN or ACC.

2. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located at the base of the steering
column. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode.

3. Press any button on first keyless remote. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

4. If programming a second keyless remote, press any button on second keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

5. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Joel Husby
New User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
yes, thats the process im thinking of, I know for my Mustang thats how it should go, is this the same for my truck? if I am understanding you correctly the truck in theory should NOT have a chip system, however my truck has both key less entry and the classic Ford "THEFT" light in it (it flashes), which leads me to think it has a similar system to the Mustang??

EDIT: found this info after doing a more generic search and looks to be similar, as far as I can see looks like it should work with what want to do, now to locate this terminal....YAY!

1. Turn ignition to RUN or ACC.

2. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located at the base of the steering
column. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode.

3. Press any button on first keyless remote. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

4. If programming a second keyless remote, press any button on second keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

5. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.
Yup! I dont know about the turning the AC on, I know jumping the wires. I have never had to turn the AC on. But try it I guess. YOu key though is not chipped.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
do you have a picture of where the plug is located? im guessing its under the bottom cover of the steering column?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Joel Husby
New User
Not currently. It should be bottom of the colum on the right side.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
ok, ill attempt to find it when the snow stops later today

Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone ever get pictures of this programming pin? Trying to do my Sons bronco and I cant find it.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
keyless entry fobs are year specific. you can not use 99 and newer fobs on 97 and older trucks.
and programing the fobs is year specific also. what works for a 92 may not work for a 96.