93hyaboosta
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EX owner issues!!!!! HELP!

2003 EX 6.0L 2wd w168k miles on 35" Toyo's,
6in Pro Comp lift JUST COMPLETED.

Maybe someone can help...

Here are my issues with it:

1. Steering - steering has tons of play like i'm driving a boat, how can I tighten this up? I am replacing upper and lower ball joints this weekend, but is there anything else I need to know?
2. Front suspensions rattle/noise - I've been reading here to replace the front sway bar bushings, anything else I should replace?
3. Rear Window rattle - any suggestions??
4. Rear rides really ROUGH - I read somewhere to replace the REAR SWAY BAR with one from a used F250, any suggestions?

MY 2007 F250 w/220k miles rides like a Cadi compared to this thing.

I guess most of all, I would really like to improve the ride in my EX to a smoother and quieter ride.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the Ex corner! The tech folder (under "read first") has many of the answers you are looking for.

The sloppy steering can depend on many suspension related parts being worn out. But sadly, the steering box doesn't last forever and many of us didn't resolve the slop until addressed. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12574987

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Double post...

Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 93hyaboosta

1. Steering - steering has tons of play like i'm driving a boat, how can I tighten this up? I am replacing upper and lower ball joints this weekend, but is there anything else I need to know?
2. Front suspensions rattle/noise - I've been reading here to replace the front sway bar bushings, anything else I should replace?
4. Rear rides really ROUGH - I read somewhere to replace with one from a used F250, any suggestions?

I guess most of all, I would really like to improve the ride in my EX to a smoother and quieter ride.

93: WELCOME to the world of XXXs 2WD!!!
Did you drive this X before you did all this suspension work ?? The work you JUST did should have fixed all those issues not created them
In general the pro-comp 4" super duty adds a 2nd set of blocks in the rear SO you should look at reworking the rear one way or another I.M.H.O.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 PM
93hyaboosta
New User
Thanks!! I really love this beast and want to make it fun to drive.
I did drive it for about a month. It pretty much had these issues since I bought it. But now the steering is worse. Like I said my F250 drives like a dream compared to this. It has the Ranchos on it. I also read X owners going with Bilsteins for ride improvement.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 PM
93hyaboosta
New User
I just EDITED issue #4.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
My first thought is that you may have too much air in your tires... try running about 50 or 55 front and rear. That may help the ride and the steering, and then you can 'fine-tune' from there.
The front end rattle or thump under the driver or passenger feet is often the sway bar end links, not the main bushings.
The 30mm rear sway bar from an F350 is a huge upgrade- the stock X size is 26mm and some years came with no rear bar .
Bilsteins rock! Good luck!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Since you're a new owner, make sure your auto door lock is actually locking your rear hatch... some of us have found out all the doors lock except that one!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 PM
93hyaboosta
New User
THANKS to all who replied. So this is what I did today...
Replaced:
Ball joints and Tie rod ends with all Moog parts. Drives a whole lot smoother and not as noisy up front. Turns much better also.
Definitely needs the rear sway bar as the rear end is floating around more now. I can't believe this was not a standard part on the EX. Anyhow I found one at a junk yard off an f350 so I'll do that tomorrow. Anything I need to know about the sway bar install??

Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
THANKS to all who replied. So this is what I did today... Replaced: Ball joints and Tie rod ends with all Moog parts. Drives a whole lot smoother and not as noisy up front. Turns much better also. Definitely needs the rear sway bar as the rear end is floating around more now. I can't believe this was not a standard part on the EX. Anyhow I found one at a junk yard off an f350 so I'll do that tomorrow. Anything I need to know about the sway bar install??
Dig through the Tech Sticky at the top of this forum. There's a ton of information in there for ya

Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Steering

This might help your steering.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...installed.html

Old 03-01-2015, 10:51 AM
93hyaboosta
New User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Thanks Camper! That's now on my list! I'll order it today and let you know next week when I install.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
No problem. I do not have personal experience with it yet. It is what I found posted here to fix the problem you describe and a similar issue I think I have, too.

When I get the initial shakedown items identified and addressed, I plan to change mine.

You can search here for the thread, I didn't bookmark it. I just can't give a personal endorsement- yet

Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
. Anyhow I found one at a junk yard off an f350 so I'll do that tomorrow. Anything I need to know about the sway bar install??
Just get all the associated hardware- the lower shock mounts, end links, etc. If you can pull it too, you'll see how it all goes. Easy and great upgrade! Good luck.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 PM
93hyaboosta
New User

4. Rear rides really ROUGH - I read somewhere to replace the REAR SWAY BAR with one from a used F250, any suggestions?

So here's my update with the issues i had...
I have listed the upgrades in the order in which i think i would purchase/replace if i had to do it all over again. The EX is almost a nice to drive as my F250. I just need to make the rear more comfortable.

1. Steering Stabilizer-Fabtech.
This part made the biggest impact on the play the steering had in it. Really stiffened up the wheel
2. All new Ball joints-XRF
This helped the stability, steering, and helped eliminate front rattle
3. Replaced the steering box with O'Reilly's part.
I thought this would really do it, but NOT much of a difference noted.
4. New Moog front sway bar bushings.
Helped eliminate front rattle
5. Installed RAS by Road master.
I think this helped the rear sway issue and in conjunction with the rear sway bar helped the rear stability.
6. Rear sway bar from F350 bought from junk yard.
Again, helped the rear sway issue and i recommend this with the RAS
7. Tie Rods by Moog.
Helped with steering and stability
8. All new 5100 Bilsteins-Removed new Pro Comps.
Not much if a difference noted.

Still need suggestions for the rear. Still rides a little too rough and when going over bumps on the road the rear "hits" really hard.

I think the noisy window rattle is also the headliner. So i'm going to take the EX to an upholstery shop for that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New EX owner issues!!!!! HELP!