1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Roof racks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:22 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az_Green_Machine
I guess that would be an issue with that type of set up. Im only planning a roof mounted set up so I don't have to worry about that.

I was thinking you would be ok...just throwing it out there for oldwoods...

No idea why gutter clamps are so expensive...I thinking making them would be the best bet at those prices... Maybe buy one to figure out how they did it...and either send it back or pass it on to the next person...

For oldwoods...the other thing to think about is what happens in an accident with that set up... would it pinch down into the cab with a side impact or rear impact....

Don't get me wrong I like the looks...I just question the practicality and safety....

This is my inner geekiness showing through....

Old 02-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Something like this I found on a jeep forum should work. And looks simple enough to make.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:05 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Something like this I found on a jeep forum should work. And looks simple enough to make.

I agree the only other thing I would do is some sort of rubberized coating to keep them from scratching the paint.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
I was planning on some sort of rubber or something to protect the paint, just gotta start looking at options.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:02 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Love this idea.. I'll be watching!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
another example i like, I actually like this one much better than the last because the nut will provide the clamping force on the gutter with the last one i posted im unsure how it would provide clamping force unless the holes for the bolt where very exact, this design is more forgiving.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I was going to use a factory bronco roof rack on my crewcab, but it would of been too tall for the garage.

But now I have 1' taller doors and I think I will mount it on my cap!!!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I was going to use a factory bronco roof rack on my crewcab, but it would of been too tall for the garage.

But now I have 1' taller doors and I think I will mount it on my cap!!!
way to rub in in our faces.... I actually should measure my garage height and see what kinda space I've got. my garage I know is 9ft. but don't know what the opening is.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about finding an old set of ladder racks off of a van and use those to build off off. Might be able to pick up a used set off an old utility van or something pretty cheap.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Utility vans are pretty rare here honestly, it would be less time and money for me to just make my own.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Utility vans are pretty rare here honestly, it would be less time and money for me to just make my own.

found one cheaper...

ROLA Vortex Roof Rack - Free Shipping on ROLA Vortex Roof Cargo Basket

Old 03-04-2015, 06:33 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lee00
I was thinking you would be ok...just throwing it out there for oldwoods...

No idea why gutter clamps are so expensive...I thinking making them would be the best bet at those prices... Maybe buy one to figure out how they did it...and either send it back or pass it on to the next person...

For oldwoods...the other thing to think about is what happens in an accident with that set up... would it pinch down into the cab with a side impact or rear impact....

Don't get me wrong I like the looks...I just question the practicality and safety....

This is my inner geekiness showing through....
good points on the issues of those hang-over racks. i doubt i'll ever find time to build one, but now i have good reasons not to :-)

i do like the idea of the lights on the roof racks, though.

...and those clamping gutter-grabbers do look pretty robust. i'd still be concerned about the load-rating of the gutters themselves, though. i'd only be comfortable putting luggage or other relatively light stuff up there.

more power to whoever does make it happen though. and be sure to post pics!!!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of doing something like this for some auxiliary lighting on my truck some day as well. I have a ways to go to get there, but this is good info. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

One thing I have considered doing, since I use my truc a bunch of different ways is to build some bed rails out of angle iron, then drill holes through the tops of the bed rails themselves and weld some straps on the underside with threaded holes in them. That way, I could switch from a back rack, to bed rails, to a basket, to a cap, or whatever and alignment would be simple. You just line up the holes, and run the bolts in. My biggest frustration with taking the cap on and off is getting the doggone thing lined up right every time I put it back on. I have guide marks to help with this, but it still seems like a hassle every time I do it. I think it could be done in a way that would be clean enough to look good too.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:49 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I like the idea of the bigger feet in the pics Az Green Machine posted. Spreads the load on the gutter.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think one built out of aluminum would be key for the modular aspect. Im also curious where people run their wires for the lights. A quick dissconnect for the lights would also be helpful.

Quick Reply: Roof racks?