1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Roof racks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof racks?

Anyone here ever build a roof rack for our trucks?

So i'm wanting to run a 50 inch LED bar, place a spare tire and a mount for a farm jack up there, possibly some rear facing spot lights. I tried searching but im not coming up with anything. Plus it gives me an excuse to dust off the Lincoln 180c and buy some metal lol. anyone done this?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Az_Green_Machine

So i'm wanting to run a 50 inch LED bar, place a spare tire and a mount for a farm jack up there, possibly some rear facing spot lights. I tried searching but im not coming up with anything. Plus it gives me an excuse to dust off the Lincoln 180c and buy some metal lol. anyone done this?
I saw something like that today when I was looking around...let me see if I can find it...

Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 PM
lee00
Posting Guru

bingo!

http://www.autoanything.com/roof-rac...nder-roof-rack

Smittybilt Defender Roof Racks - JCWhitney

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...rd/model/f-350

Smittybilt® - Ford F-350 1996 Defender Roof Basket

Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Expensive. Looks like I'll be making one. Willing to bet for $100 in metal, $130 for the 50" light, $80 for the spot lights, wiring etc. For $350 I'd be set (not including jack and tire obviously)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
There are some by other companies but they were generic and mounted to roof racks already existing..

Steel isn't ascheap as it used to be...but I agree...fabing something up should be easy..

by my quick calculations you are looking at some where in the area of 68-72 feet of tube...plus some plate

Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lee00
There are some by other companies but they were generic and mounted to roof racks already existing..

Steel isn't ascheap as it used to be...but I agree...fabing something up should be easy..

by my quick calculations you are looking at some where in the area of 68-72 feet of tube...plus some plate

80ft of 1" round tube .058 thickness is $253..... online... probably get it cheaper locally

I still think it would be good practice plus there is the feeling of accomplishment in building something yourself.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
I'll have to come up with a design and figure out footage. I also have a lot sitting around that I'm not including since it is left over from other projects. Like my chop saw stand and some shelves.

BTW why does every rack so m to have a huge gap between the roof and rack?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have thought about building a roof rack like that for my CC. I like the look, plus it would give me a place to carry stuff when the 5th wheel camper or goose neck trailer is hooked up. I have a big tool box that sits down in the bed, so space is limited when one of the trailers are on there.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 AM
majorgator
Senior User
Expensive. Looks like I'll be making one. Willing to bet for $100 in metal, $130 for the 50" light, $80 for the spot lights, wiring etc. For $350 I'd be set (not including jack and tire obviously)
You can buy that $130 50" light bar if you want, but that's not advisable. Quality light bars in that size range upwards of $400-$600. There's a lot of cheaper knockoff light bars out there that many of the kids around here are buying, but they aren't any good.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
A lot of the jeep and Toyota guys are running them with no issues. The biggest problem is using any recommended product like the wiring kit amazon tries to pair with these. Wires are to thin and they burn up. Plus it wouldn't be ran all that often to begin with. I know you get what you pay for, but I also know that for its limited use and purpose it should be fine. I'm actually more worried that the plastic will dry rot here in the sun than It burn up or stop working.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
A lot of the jeep and Toyota guys are running them with no issues. The biggest problem is using any recommended product like the wiring kit amazon tries to pair with these. Wires are to thin and they burn up. Plus it wouldn't be ran all that often to begin with. I know you get what you pay for, but I also know that for its limited use and purpose it should be fine. I'm actually more worried that the plastic will dry rot here in the sun than It burn up or stop working.
This whole thread got me thinking...

I was looking at the clamps to mount to the rain gutter last night....

those alone are $200....hmmm

damn everything is expensive!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:58 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
just throwing this out there as i've been scheming on something like this for after i get the bed done on my project truck. for me a back rack (i.e. headache rack) is a must, as i've already busted out one back window moving firewood and don't want to do that again. i'll be building my own custom one, but have been toying with the idea for provisions to hang a rack forward over the cab for more storage.

my truck is a crew cab, so i'd probably only go 1/2 to 2/3 of the way over the roof, but if i did do it, i'd like to mount forward and rearward facing lights like the OP plans.

this isn't a great image of what i'm picturing, but its the basic idea. (and apologies for the link to a toyota).

the one i'd build would have to accommodate a toolbox in the back as well, though.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7d5f62afb7.jpg

Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
just throwing this out there as i've been scheming on something like this for after i get the bed done on my project truck. for me a back rack (i.e. headache rack) is a must, as i've already busted out one back window moving firewood and don't want to do that again. i'll be building my own custom one, but have been toying with the idea for provisions to hang a rack forward over the cab for more storage.

my truck is a crew cab, so i'd probably only go 1/2 to 2/3 of the way over the roof, but if i did do it, i'd like to mount forward and rearward facing lights like the OP plans.

this isn't a great image of what i'm picturing, but its the basic idea. (and apologies for the link to a toyota).

the one i'd build would have to accommodate a toolbox in the back as well, though.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7d5f62afb7.jpg
Something like this?

also whats the deal with the gutter clamps? are they capable of holding a decent about of weight? I can always give making some a shot.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Something like this?

also whats the deal with the gutter clamps? are they capable of holding a decent about of weight? I can always give making some a shot.

Thats cool... My only concern would be deflection (twist) of the cab when driving... on my old cclb I could get 3 to 5 inches of deflection between the cab and bed...

let me see if I can get a picture....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

pick up truck frame twist - Bing Images

Old 02-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
I guess that would be an issue with that type of set up. Im only planning a roof mounted set up so I don't have to worry about that.

Quick Reply: Roof racks?