6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

external trans filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:32 PM
troy676
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's just the remote canister is a pain in the butt to service. so I was just looking for a more efficient way to maintain the fluid and thanks for the reply's.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by troy676
it's just the remote canister is a pain in the butt to service. so I was just looking for a more efficient way to maintain the fluid and thanks for the reply's.
Myself I will be taking the tp filter out and not replacing it.
I will let the new upgraded filter do 100% of the work--just my .02

2006 F350 4X4

Old 02-19-2015, 05:53 PM
F357
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The bypass filter was replaced by the improved in pan filter to improve the filtering in the transmission.
Is there any reason this was needed? Was there a specific problem arising because it wasn't being filtered enough? What is improved about it if you don't know what the micron rating of either one was? Was there ever any factory testing of either type of filter you can tell us about?

I don't know why getting information out of you is like pulling teeth. If you don't want to share that's fine but I'm not sure why you bother posting at all? If you're going to call me wrong then the least you could do is explain.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
In dealing with Mark over the past several years, I've learned that he is short and sweet and to the point.

Originally Posted by F357
Is there any reason this was needed? Was there a specific problem arising because it wasn't being filtered enough? What is improved about it if you don't know what the micron rating of either one was? Was there ever any factory testing of either type of filter you can tell us about?

I don't know why getting information out of you is like pulling teeth. If you don't want to share that's fine but I'm not sure why you bother posting at all? If you're going to call me wrong then the least you could do is explain.
I'll try to condense the few posts that Mark has made here:

New internal filter has a lower micron rating than the external.
Internal filter filters 100% of the fluid, unlike the external.
Some engineer, who Mark evidently respects enough to believe him said it's better this way.

I'm willing to bet the he doesn't have the answers to the rest of your questions, nor should he. And he doesn't have to explain why or why not.

Minor forum etiquette lesson: If ANY user posts something but doesn't fill in the details, or fails to answer all of your questions, you can safely assume one of two things: They don't have the TIME to do so. OR don't have that information. You shouldn't get your feathers ruffled because a user does either one of those things.

You can politely ask the collective, and you might actually get a reasonable answer. But Mark may not be able to give all those answers to you, and you shouldn't expect him to

Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Myself I will be taking the tp filter out and not replacing it.
I will let the new upgraded filter do 100% of the work--just my .02

2006 F350 4X4
So we just remove the external filter from the housing on the frame rail and screw the housing back together completely empty?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Macrosill
So we just remove the external filter from the housing on the frame rail and screw the housing back together completely empty?
That's what I'm gonna do. Be nice to replumb but I won't go that far at the moment.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

He told me that the new internal filter had a lower micron rating than the external filter.
Mark,
Would you clarify? I remember in a past posts, you indicated that there wasn't a need to replace the internal filter on a 5r110, especially with the external filter added on.
Here you say there's a new internal filter that seems to be a new and improved version.
If that's the case, when did this "new" filter come in factory trucks and what year's need a retrofit?
Thanks.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by r2millers
Mark,
Would you clarify? I remember in a past posts, you indicated that there wasn't a need to replace the internal filter on a 5r110, especially with the external filter added on.
Here you say there's a new internal filter that seems to be a new and improved version.
If that's the case, when did this "new" filter come in factory trucks and what year's need a retrofit?
Thanks.
It's the filter used on the 6.4 and you have to change the pan for it to fit as well.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:10 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

I guess I'm confused when it's in the 6.0 forum but really not a 6.0 issue?
Thanks.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:21 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,513 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Some people consider it an upgrade.

It is probably like the 6.4L starter, which is an upgrade to install one on our 6.0L trucks, but it certainly doesn't seem necessary for most.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Krewat
Minor forum etiquette lesson: If ANY user posts something but doesn't fill in the details, or fails to answer all of your questions, you can safely assume one of two things: They don't have the TIME to do so. OR don't have that information. You shouldn't get your feathers ruffled because a user does either one of those things.
Art,
I respectfully disagree.
People ask me at times, how I'm doing?
My response is either "great, I'm vertical today" or "I woke up on the right side of the dirt."
My mom taught me a long time ago, "the only people who don't have time...are DEAD people.
If it's important enough to you, you'll find the time!"

Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
what Bismic said

Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
There was A LOT of factory testing of both filters. I wasn't responsible for any of that, so I don't have details. The engineer that was responsible told me this change was made to improve the product.

I don't know why getting information out of you is like pulling teeth.
Because I'm difficult. Deal with it or ignore me. It's the same to me either way.
Originally Posted by Macrosill
Yes.

Originally Posted by r2millers
Mark,
Thanks.
None of them need a retrofit.

You can improve the filtering on a pre-Job#2 2008 5R110 by changing the internal filter and pan to a Job#2 2008 pan and filter.

If you don't change to the newer pan and filter, you need to change the external filter as indicated in the owner's manual. The pre-Job#2 2008 5R110 internal filter only needs to be changed when the transmission is rebuilt. The newer filter needs to be changed, but I don't have the service interval.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM
F357
Senior User
The engineer that was responsible told me this change was made to improve the product.
Here is what I'm getting at:
"Improve the product" doesn't mean the same as "filter the oil better".
As you suggest full filtering could stop solenoids from sticking, among other things. Does that mean the in pan filter is of a higher micron rating? Not really.

It is possible that you could gain even better filtering by keeping the old style filter and the new pan filter at the same time. Nobody can say yes or no without knowing the micron ratings. I will see if I can ask the manufacturers.

Originally Posted by Krewat
If they don't have the time to answer or the information in the first place then they shouldn't be saying things like this should they?
I'll bet you're wrong.
Is it not bad forum etiquette to say "you're wrong" without providing any reasons or proof?

Again, there is nothing wrong with asking a person to elaborate. I told Mark he didn't have to answer if he didn't want to. But there is nothing wrong with asking.

Because I'm difficult. Deal with it or ignore me.
So am I. And everybody seems to have their panties in a twist because I dare ask you to elaborate, because oh gawd, you once worked for Ford. I am so sorry your majesty. From now on we will all take your advice blindly, no explanation is needed.

To be honest I don't think you care while I've got moderators PMing me and some other guy who didn't even help in this thread crying in the corner reporting posts that haven't broken any rules.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was A LOT of factory testing of both filters. I wasn't responsible for any of that, so I don't have details. The engineer that was responsible told me this change was made to improve the product.

Because I'm difficult. Deal with it or ignore me. It's the same to me either way.

Yes.

None of them need a retrofit.

You can improve the filtering on a pre-Job#2 2008 5R110 by changing the internal filter and pan to a Job#2 2008 pan and filter.

If you don't change to the newer pan and filter, you need to change the external filter as indicated in the owner's manual. The pre-Job#2 2008 5R110 internal filter only needs to be changed when the transmission is rebuilt. The newer filter needs to be changed, but I don't have the service interval.
Thanks Mark.

Quick Reply: external trans filter