Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
one good looking cat!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:38 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
She needs to learn how turn wrenches before I let her drive.

Part of this truck deal involved a Touring car shell and frame plus a MG front and rear suspension. Turns out that its an Overland Touring car which happens to be the company that made the ****** jeep, interesting. Don't know yet what I'm actually going to do with it but the flathead from the truck is going to find its way into the touring frame.

Have been doing some clean ups so thats taking up most of my time, only thing I've done is to change the flat tire on the 48 and take pictures of the undercarriage. Turns out that the 8 bolt 16.5 tires from my totaled f350 srw fit on the 48 so that helps.

Got a new neighbor next door and he's a belligerent racist drunk that likes to bellow about all the nonwhites hes going to kill. According to the cops hes not the problem, its us sober people that are the problem and we're supposed to ignore him and the problem will magically fix itself. My being the president of the neighborhood crime watch makes me the biggest problem as I'm the one responsible for all the drugs, robberies and break ins, not the junkies drunks and dope dealers. We have some good cops but we also have this damn junkie squad. Between now and the 15th comes the decision for 3 of us to move, I have the community relations # and we'll be recording him and calling them plus the SCAN #. Hes going or his landlord will be dealing with us in court. The move for me will be about 500' and involves a newly renovated house and has a garage with 220 power, I'll be the first tenant since the reno. This move won't be any skin off my nose and I'll still be by my customer base. The house is on an elevated corner lot so it would be a move to **** hill for me LOL.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
boy you got some real winners out there! keep your head up friend.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Some times change comes knocking in strange ways and its usually beneficial. Whats that saying about fishing from the wrong side of the boat.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 AM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
Some times change comes knocking in strange ways and its usually beneficial. Whats that saying about fishing from the wrong side of the boat.
Here's my favorite: It's an ill wind that blows no good.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I'd hate to have to move all your stuff.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:09 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I'm going to hate moving it at the start but it will get more enjoyable as it's only 500' and is a step in the right direction. I'm also going to overlap the rents and give myself a month to 6 weeks to get it done in.

My last warehouse adventure in Vancouver started with a 1200 sq' place and a 14' cube van, went to 2800 sq', went to 5200 sq' and added a 16' cube van and ended with a 9000 sq' warehouse and showroom, the cube vans, 2 53' and a 40' trailer and a 28' Brigadiere top kick 5 ton, took 22 months to get that far. Total distance of the moves, from 459 E Hastings to 893 E Hastings to 901 E Hastings. Was in the last warehouse 3 years when my health started to go and it took a year to shut it down.

Moved to Calgary after taking a year off and after 17 years of commercial furniture sales overlapped with 7 years of property management, changed trades entirely and went into the pad concrete and landscaping trade, was the easiest trade I've done. 2 years later I bought the equipment as the owner was retiring at age 73 and moved to a 9 acre lot on the corner of Paradise rd and #1 highway just outside of Chestermere.

Getting to damned beat up to do this act, but luckily it's second nature to a certain degree. This next place, I'm really going to be entrenching myself into it, might go so far as to put a headstone in the front yard for everyone to see. LOL

Glad its raining today as it gives me a chance to clear my mind and toss the financials for the next year at Candace my former accountant, she needs the stress more than me. If the bills and cash flow are high enough, I know of a private equity sponsored program that matches a persons savings $3 to $1 based on $250 per month that the participant saves over the course of a year and includes a home ownership grant at time of purchase. Just got to make the #s look right to qualify.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by privateer, eh
If the bills and cash flow are high enough, I know of a private equity sponsored program that matches a persons savings $3 to $1 based on $250 per month that the participant saves over the course of a year and includes a home ownership grant at time of purchase. Just got to make the #s look right to qualify.

Hope it works out and you can get into your own place

Old 06-01-2017, 11:24 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
This is what I'm looking at, the house needs to be detailed out on the exterior in a few places. The yard needs to be cleaned, refreshed and sodded and the fence needs to be built. I would do that and bill for it, no trading work for rent around me as someone always gets screwed and is a bad way to start a deal. This guy doesn't have the time to detail out his houses so thats where a bit of work comes from. Theres a 3 bedroom upper, fully reno'd with 4 appliances and 2 baths, 2 bedroom lower with full reno, 4 appliances, full bath, new furnace and water heater. Would cost about $2600 a month and that includes insurance, utilities basic cable and internet, can get 1400 back on the upper suite.

There used to be a big assed willow tree where the stump is

Potential good street view

good sized yard when sodded

cats would have a new tree house

garage is 22' wide and theres room for my 10 x 20' shelter
I would have full control over the house and be the one picking the tenants, house next door was bought by same investor group and is 4 months away from completion, would cost to much for anyone on assistance to rent. This part of the city is being redeveloped at a fast rate as its undervalued right now. Theres about 18 to 24 months before it returns to a sellers market, buy in this area in the next 18 months and you'll have a good equity play starting in 5 years.

Need to make my decision by Saturday night if I take the place, I'll need to come up with about 1200 this week and $2600 by the end of the month to swing it. My cash flow for the next 2 years would be high enough to justify going to the bank in 15 months to buy a house in order to stay afloat. Sometimes you need to be in debt in order to survive and this place opens that door lol. Bad neighbor might work in my favor.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

i understand your dilemma. That's a tough neighborhood to be a landlord.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
We have a small area where our clean up program has been making a difference, how the owners next door could not spot that this guy is an ahole is beyond most of us. The girls work in a bank, ones a financial planner and the other is a loans manager and they're well educated as to what a goof is.

On a side note; there was a reporter from Metro news in the hood while I was out at the bank, she talked to June and she framed the story for her but couldn't fill in the details. The reporter was contacted by Burt who has what appears to be some sort of a chop shop next door but they're obvious drug dealers also. We're only 5 blocks apart but we're both to busy in our immediate areas to stay in regular enough contact. Guess I'm chasing down that lead tomorrow morning, every bit helps and a paragraph in a news story would do wonders.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
So, the bottom half of the place and garage is mine for sure and on the 15th I'll see if the finances say that I can swing the place for 2 months with no tenant upstairs, I think it will happen as I don't think these guys want to become property managers. Theres 3 types of property managers, 1. those who are looking for places that they can turn into make work projects and put in tenants that destroy the place. 2.Those that don't care, just as long as they get their management fee and those that run these places like REIT cash registers. I practice the REIT program, the upstairs will get rented to an employed young family that works and they will be there for a few years until they have the deposit for their own house, anybody else can **** off. This place would flash up pretty good with proper landscaping and would look good in my portfolio and would set the tone for the neighborhood. If I supply the plexi which I already have, one of our crime watch members will supply the letters so that we can put up a,
THIS NEIGHBORHOOD
IS CCTV PROTECTED
shingle on our houses in an easy to read location. This place is ideal for a camera system as it looks up and down 4 streets and covers our accident prone intersection.

Got the 78 F350 unwrapped after a year and now I can get to this engine mounting problem. The problem is that this 460 used to be in a 88 F450 chassis and has an oil cooler and as you know, they have a slightly different oil filter mount and housing. The chassis its going into is a 89 F350 and theres an interference problem with the engine cross member.

As you can see the passenger side fits quite nicely, wish I could say the same thing for the drivers side, it may be time to modify the cross member until it fits. This gantry crane of mine is going to come in handy again. But before I get to straighten this out, I need to walk down the block and straighten this out.

27' worth of Fortress fence, a rear and front gate, then I can get back to the truck in order to make it moveable. After the motor is straightened out theres the transmission cross member, temporary cab and box mounting and the steering needs to be hooked up so that it can be pulled to the new shop. I'm going to be so spoiled having an actual garage to work in.

Stripped down the Overlands frame to get rid of the dead weight and suspension thats not getting used.

This frame is 11' long and must be under 100 lbs, it will be needing some cross members, still don't know what it'll be outside of a flat headed hot rod.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:07 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
So, once upon a time, a long long time ago I was going to move into the place across the corner from here, long story short, it was a bit of a scam but I got out of the deal with my money back but I lost on a couple of weeks labor. The place is still vacant due to the contractor screwing up and the place doesn't have an occupancy permit because it can't pass inspection. Have come close to signing a few leases but held back for various reasons but now have a lease and am in the process of staring this move.

The Overland has a new parking spot as it was all in storage all over the place, have a 255 Mercury motor for it and picked up one of these for fun.

Got a new steering wheel for the truck and may pick up another one for one of the other trucks if this works out.

Its from a Model T, hope it bolts in and works okay, will have to modify the signal light lever.
I'm doing the last job of the season, and doing some fence and gate repairs on the new place, shopping the auction circuit, moving and looking after my oldest brothers personal affairs as he's been put into a care home due to early onset dementia. The new place is a 3 bdrm place but its small enough to be a 2 bdrm & den or a young family starter house, theres a 1 bdrm suite in the basement but I've got no real interest in renting it out, will be warehousing out of it first. It comes with a 2 bay garage, has a 220 feed but its not hooked up yet and I'll need to put in a wood stove for heat as it has a chimney. Theres a gas feed to the place but I don't want the extra cost of gas heat when wood is free for me and no, I don't burn lumber as it smells like a burning house. When the house is set up I'll do a photo set of it, I want it looking nice, right now it has a few rough spots due to someones idea of a bad fencing and gate repair job. This neighborhood should be cool as theres others in this alley that like older vehicles and its only 4 blocks from where I live.
Oh, and I still have the 48 M68, both 78 F350 duallies, the 75 F250 with a 78 grill and the ugly cage trailer.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:06 AM
Justin73supercamper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering when you were going too post again. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Sorry to hear about the last place good thing you got out fairly unscathed. Hopefully the new house is better. Looking forward to seeing more of the over land and your future projects. Like papa bear said I would hate to have to move your stuff. That's going too be a adventure of it's own.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:36 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

It's been a while, and I'm always happy to read your updates!

Sorry to hear about your brother.

But glad you're getting into a new place. Hope you're insulated from the drunk drivers, drug dealers, junkies, and the a-holes that enjoy putting "not gas" in your gas tanks.

Anyway, stay warm and well!

Quick Reply: Adventures in Retirement