6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What I learned/ was told at the Dealership today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
What I learned/ was told at the Dealership today...

1. Diesel tech said 4th EGT sensor is not the one that leaves you stranded, its
#2..... I read here it is #4....

2. recent recall only changed DEF parameters to a bigger window of acceptable quality.

3 Manual regen reprogram can only be done on 450's 550's and the 250/350 only on the ones with the most basic cluster display.. like I have system check and instant/ average fuel economy, and can turn off parking aid... so mine cant be done.

GO.....

Last edited by Truckie256; 02-11-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine can't be done either. However, several on here have had #2 shut down their trucks as well as #4...

Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Hmm I thought a lot more folks would have chimed in on this.....

for the sensor he told me to get a high quality closed end ratcheting wrench to fit sensor and cut wire go over the sensor and unscrew it or I will round off the sensor with an open end wrench... will probably order the sensor today and find a good wrench..

guess folks need to still complain to NHTSA if they shut down in traffic, to get risk problem of being hit and killed because truck left them in middle of road or get hit pushing it to the side., problem resolved.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 AM
obwielnls
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that's what this recall did? It doesn't avoid the stop soon and be stranded thing?

Bill

Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
From what he told me.. it is the DEF fluid acceptable quality window getting larger range... and to buy the sensor and wrench so if I get stuck I can roadside fix...

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckie256
From what he told me.. it is the DEF fluid acceptable quality window getting larger range... and to buy the sensor and wrench so if I get stuck I can roadside fix...
Not knowing what size is needed, I am suggesting one buy a set similar to these Craftsman 6pt wrenches. 6 point wrench will help prevent rounding off the hex

Craftsman Professional Use 16-Piece 6-Point Combination Wrench Set - Inch/Metric - Tools - Wrenches - Combination Wrenches & Sets

Another suggestion is to buy the flare nut wrench set. Flare nut wrenches are 6 point. You might be able to slip over the sensor and remove it without cutting the wire..

Craftsman 5 pc. Flare Nut Wrench Set Metric

If you know the size, you can possibly go to Sears and get just that wrench in a 6 point or the flare nut wrench.

And no, I do not have stock in Sears nor saying Sears is the only place to find a 6 point wrench.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Thom12
Senior User
it takes a 13 mm.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
A 13mm flare wrench works best. Less likely to round off the corners. I've already tested it by removing the sensors and putting anti-seize(non-copper formula) on the threads to aid in removal. you'll also need a good pair of leather gloves to help withstand the hot pipes.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:31 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
A 13mm flare wrench works best. Less likely to round off the corners. I've already tested it by removing the sensors and putting anti-seize(non-copper formula) on the threads to aid in removal. you'll also need a good pair of leather gloves to help withstand the hot pipes.
^^^ I did the same, pulled out all the sensors and put some anti seize on them. If I were gonna have a hard time with them, I rather deal with it in my driveway. I also carry a spare sensor.

So far the recall seems to be ok for me. I'll have a little trip on Sat so I will learn a little more about it, but so far so good. I've always been able to do a manual regen with my Edge CTS, actually only did it once to try.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always heard the "flare nut wrench" shown there to be a "line wrench" since you're getting around brake lines and such.

That seems like it would be the best option. In once case when I need a much larger version than I could easily find cheaply (15/16") I took an old closed end wrench and cut just enough to go over the line. Worked well enough.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite
(15/16") I took an old closed end wrench and cut just enough to go over the line. Worked well enough.
Too bad we're not neighbors, that's something I'd do....

Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite
I've always heard the "flare nut wrench" shown there to be a "line wrench" since you're getting around brake lines and such.

That seems like it would be the best option. In once case when I need a much larger version than I could easily find cheaply (15/16") I took an old closed end wrench and cut just enough to go over the line. Worked well enough.
They're called flare nut wrenches because the nuts on brake lines are flare nuts, named that because the lines are flared.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Thom12
Senior User

2. recent recall only changed DEF parameters to a bigger window of acceptable quality.

3 Manual regen reprogram can only be done on 450's 550's and the 250/350 only on the ones with the most basic cluster display.. like I have system check and instant/ average fuel economy, and can turn off parking aid... so mine cant be done.

GO.....

First off, let me make it clear from the start, that I have no intention of slamming you because I know you are only the messanger passing on what your tech told you, but I guess I will be the first to ask questions about what your tech told you even though I know you will not be able to answer for him...

1. Diesel tech said 4th EGT sensor is not the one that leaves you stranded, its#2..... I read here it is #4....
Although I personally have not had any sensor failures, I find it really hard to believe that of all the reported EGT sensors and people left stranded reported all across the interweb, 90% of the ones left stranded report that they had #4 replaced by their mechanics. I might be mistaken but I do believe that the F-450 C&C's have thier sensors numbered differantly than the regular pickups, maybe that is what he was talking about (450 C&C)?

Now this one I would have to question the rational behind it, again referancing the interweb forums, I have only seen maybe 1 or 2 instances of reports of "contaminated" DEF. Most all reports on the web involving either putting DEF into diesel tank or once or twice, diesel into DEF tank. If there is no public outcry about DEF contamination, why would Ford spend all that money to fix something that they would deny warrenty coverage on anyway? How much did they change the acceptance quality? so much so that we can add distilled water or something else? (I know you can't answer that). From what I have personally seen on my truck, they changed the input ratio of DEF being added into the system.

3. Manual regen reprogram can only be done on 450's 550's and the 250/350 only on the ones with the most basic cluster display.

Agreed, they did not add a manual regen feature that many on the web have been saying would be nice to have.

Again, Please understand Truckie256, I in no way mean this as any kind of attack on the messanger. Just that something don't smell right.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User

GO.....

Is the 4th EGT sensor the same as #4?
My truck stranded me on a #4 failure. This information is based off what the dealer told me after it was repaired.
Hopefully this is a mute point, although I have kept a 13mm wrench and a spare sensor since.

Last edited by Traveling Man; 02-12-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: speeling error
Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
When my #2 sensor failed. I got the pull over message, But I was able to drive another 5 miles to work and park and then it turned off and I was unable to start for almost an hour until it cooled off. But I was able to drive 40 miles home and back to work the next day. It did shut down the truck, But never left me dead on the side of the road. I was able to tolerate it until the replacement sensors showed a few days later.

When my #4 sensor failer. I was dead in the middle of the road and yes it would restart after sitting for an hour ( and clearing codes), But it would only run 45 seconds and shut down again. I truely was dead where I was. It was call the tow truck time.

So there is a big difference in how the two sensors shut you down.

Quick Reply: What I learned/ was told at the Dealership today...