Sponsored by: DP Tuner

INJECTOR SHIMMING

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:20 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
INJECTOR SHIMMING

Seems legit to me, with these conclusions...(apologize to admin, if posting other site is wrong, but thought this idea/maintenance was worth noting)

7.3 injector shims | eBay

WOW - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 02-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Without really mulling this over, it sounds like a legit stop-gap. It may very well extend the life of injectors with just this one problem. It's a gamble, but it's a cheap and easy gamble.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
As my injectors are still sitting in a box, it might be interesting to see just what the clearance is on my injectors. How difficult are those solenoid retaining screws to remove? And are they reusable? But they seemed to work fine before, and we all know, if it ain't broke...

Old 02-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Seems legit to me, with these conclusions...(apologize to admin, if posting other site is wrong, but thought this idea/maintenance was worth noting)

7.3 injector shims | eBay

WOW - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
This appears to only address the one problem of not having enough head room for the armature plate to actuate the poppet valve. Which is usually due to a loose armature plate screw so that simply can be tightened. The more common problem is low deck clearance under the armature plate and that can only be solved with machining some material away.

In either case....it's best to balance the hold pressure for the high pressure oil anyway so one needs a bench test setup for that process.

Seems like a lot of effort for little reward to me.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Tim at pis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
This appears to only address the one problem of not having enough head room for the armature plate to actuate the poppet valve. Which is usually due to a loose armature plate screw so that simply can be tightened. The more common problem is low deck clearance under the armature plate and that can only be solved with machining some material away.

In either case....it's best to balance the hold pressure for the high pressure oil anyway so one needs a bench test setup for that process.

Seems like a lot of effort for little reward to me.
^^^this makes no sense.

You will almost never find a loose armature screw. After several thousand injectors only a handful ever found loose. And I can't prove someone wasn't jacking around with those.

But why not try it. Some of your popular injector builders use them.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim at pis
^^^this makes no sense.

You will almost never find a loose armature screw. After several thousand injectors only a handful ever found loose. And I can't prove someone wasn't jacking around with those.

But why not try it. Some of your popular injector builders use them.
A loose armature screw happened to me once....and to at least one other forum member that I can think of. I think it's more common then most people realize since the units usually get replaced anyway.

I am not saying that shims are a bad idea....just only solves the one problem....which one has to measure to see if there even is a problem.
I don't recommend folks rush out and start buying shim kits thinking it's going to make their truck run much better. If your injectors are that worn then the solution is a bit more intensive then a simple shim (IMO...)

I am not an expert on injector building but I have rebuilt a set myself and it's not something that I'd recommend to the average DIYer.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right at about 4,000 is where you want to be.