1992 f150 4.9 problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM
jduckworth18
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 f150 4.9 problems, please help

I've been having some problems out of my 4.9, was running good then all the sudden lost power, sometimes will start to miss, sometimes after running and low on power if you restart it misses really bad like only running on 3 or 4 cylinders, I've replaced the following, plugs (motorcraft), wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, o2 sensor, egr solenoid, vacuum lines, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned throttle body and intake, new upper intake gasket, etc...after replacing all of this it was running good and then all the sudden about a week later the problem has came back and here we are now.....im tired of throwing money at it, koeo code is 565 canister purge valve but was running fine and that shouldn't make it do this, koer code, was 225 and 411 I believe, couldn't control idle during test and knock sensor, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Try removing the PCM. Look for leaking, bulging, or blown capacitors.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
seapointejim
Junior User
Try what I found works: While driving, turn the keyswitch from the "run" position just barely into the "start" position but obviously do not turn it so far as to engage the starter. On my 94 E-250 when I do this the ABS light comes on and the van runs like it is brand new. The turn signals, the vent fan, and the speedo don't work, but the van stops missing and hesitating. I find it very useful on any kind of uphill grade. It's not like a nitrous oxide blast but it beats the heck out of the pinging detonation if I don't turn the key. If it works, please don't ask why as no one here has been able to tell me what circuit I am adding or cutting out by turning the key this way while driving. Please post a reply and let me know what happens.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 PM
rjhucka
New User
Unhappy 1992 F150 4.9 starting / fuel issues

First, I am not a Ford mechanic. I am a Old "Hippie" Porsche and VW mechanic.

So, my technology peak is about 1979. But, I understand basic Bosch FI etc. as I have worked on those systems. Secondly, I am new to posting on the site, so please forgive me if my post here is not within normal protocol.

With that said, I purchased a 1992 Ford F150 automatic 4X4 with a 4.9 in-line 6 cylinder engine. I initially bought it in cold weather in Nevada.

Since I first bought it 2 months ago, the truck ran fine with the exception that from time to time, after shutting it down for only a few minutes, the truck would not start. So, being an old Oklahoma ranch hand, I sprayed starter fluid in the intake hose and it would start every time. I have been guessing that a dirty fuel filter might be the culprit? As the fuel filter I believe is in the tank, and as I have been delaying the job, I have been spraying a shot of starter fluid in to start a warm engine and it has usually always worked. But, today it was 80 degrees and although I let the truck sit for about and hour;which is usually enough to allow a start - even without starter fluid) today, after 1 hour- no start. I sprayed fluid and it would always fire, and exhaust the fluid; then die. Now it just seems that there in not fuel getting to the engine?

I have been looking at threads today, and troubleshooting advice ranged from O2 sensors, to other sensors, etc.. Now, wow I do not know where to start. Also, I have never pulled a code in my life (remember 1978 Technology expert), so any ideas on a good plan of attack troubleshooting the issue would be very much appreciated. It seems to have hit a peak today issue as I just was unable to start a cold engine; even with fluid, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help that you might lend.