2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped brush in cylinder head HELP Piease

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 PM
kramerpage
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dropped brush in cylinder head HELP Piease

same brush is in the cylinder

I lost a cleaning brush in the cylinder head and cant get it out. Im sick to my stomach. I had a small magenta but it wasn't strong enough to get it and any stronger wont fir thru the cylinder taper. Any suggestions besides taking it to a mechanic and pulling the head. Hers is a pic guys. Lord Im over my head.....

Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM
jshillin
Freshman User
Get a small rare earth magnet and it will pull it out. Another options would be something like this: Precision Hand Tools Tweezers, Pliers and Cutters -

Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 PM
kramerpage
Junior User
Originally Posted by raytasch
Hi Ray,
I have snap on one but it wont fit thru the taper. I have a snap on magnet that will pick up a 36 mm long impact socket but it wont fit thru the taper. So on a Triton the taper is much smaller than the spark plug hole. I just measured the end of a 515 plug that I was installing and it measures .39 inch or 10mm so I need something that diameter with a lot of pull power since the brush is wider than the hole of coarse. If I could get it up and started coming up the hole and get a couple bristels to hold it I may be able to get it out with needle nose pliers. Im just now starting to calm down emotionally. I was so upset I threw up my diner. I could not find the diameter of that claw. I feel it will be difficult to use a claw since the brush is so long.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
jshillin
Freshman User
The brush can't weigh anything. Go to Harbor Freight or the parts store and get a smaller extendable magnet. I keep a couple sizes stuck to the underside of one of the wall cabinets in my garage.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 PM
kramerpage
Junior User
Originally Posted by jshillin
The brush can't weigh anything. Go to Harbor Freight or the parts store and get a smaller extendable magnet. I keep a couple sizes stuck to the underside of one of the wall cabinets in my garage.

Thanks for the reply jshillin I feel that's my only option for the weekend. I hope they have one narrow enuf with a lot of power. ts not the weight of the brush its getting the bristles started in the hole. There is a lot of resistance.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Try magnetizing a long narrow screwdriver. Wrap a few coils of wire around the shank and tap the ends of the coil across a battery. Careful not to ignite any gasses that may be coming from a charging battery. If you can get the drive end of that brush to the hole, you may be able to grasp it with a pair of needle nose pliers, like you say.
Or maybe try grinding down the diameter of your existing magnet.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Maybe a small dab of 5 minute epoxy on the end of the magnet. Let it harden with the magnet lined up on the brush suitable for extraction. Probably gotta hold yer tongue just so for this operation.

And quit runnin' that Pyrodex! Goex or Swiss, my friend.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
lost brush

I would hand turn the motor so that the piston is near the top. Once you get the brush threaded end to stand up, guide it to the plug opening and hand crank the motor so that the piston holds the brush in place then maybe you can work it out of the cylinder. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I started to ask you in the first thread what you wanted to brush the spark plug hole for. I wish I had said it. There is absolutely no need to do anything like that. Like they said, hand-turn the engine and have somebody look down the hole to see the brush coming up. Grab it with some long hemostats or maybe a magnet. Once you get the end of it, you'll probably have to turn the engine more to make room to get the brush vertical so you can pull it out.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM
kramerpage
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1saxman
I started to ask you in the first thread what you wanted to brush the spark plug hole for. I wish I had said it. There is absolutely no need to do anything like that. Like they said, hand-turn the engine and have somebody look down the hole to see the brush coming up. Grab it with some long hemostats or maybe a magnet. Once you get the end of it, you'll probably have to turn the engine more to make room to get the brush vertical so you can pull it out.
Hurray I got the brush out with a flexible 66540 lisle magnet and then needle nose! What a relief...Barley slept a wink. I wanted to clean up the taper below the plug threads. That taper goes all the way down to 9.5 mm in diameter. It is 2.89 inches deep from the spark plug mounting deck to the end of the taper. That's why you cant use hemostats. If it was a chevy 350 it would have bee easy. lol. So this case is closed. Thanks for the support and finger crossings guys. I now will proceed to updating my original post. Again thanks...

Old 02-07-2015, 10:08 AM
kramerpage
Junior User
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
I would hand turn the motor so that the piston is near the top. Once you get the brush threaded end to stand up, guide it to the plug opening and hand crank the motor so that the piston holds the brush in place then maybe you can work it out of the cylinder. Got my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks for the crossed fingers guy. It worked!!!!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:10 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by kramerpage
Hurray I got the brush out with a flexible 66540 lisle magnet and then needle nose! What a relief... etc .

I went to bed last night imagining how I would get it out .... came up with some thoughts but glad you didn't need them!