6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Engine Serial Number

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:23 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine Serial Number

Anyone know where they hide the engine serial number on the 6.7?
I need to try and find one to register my truck here in Aus. Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the American trucks I believe it's on the top of the right valve cover.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Its a US truck, just I had it converted to RHD and shipped over here.

When you say right valve cover, do you mean right while facing the truck, or right while in the drivers seat?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-04-2015, 11:08 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Well I couldn't find it on either valve cover. I asked Ford US, and they said "It is stamped on the block - if you have any issues finding it, talk to your dealer"

My local Ford dealer will look at me cross eyed if I take an F250 in there.
I hunted around as best I could underneath the block and couldn't find it.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Back in the 70's, it was stamped back by the bell housing. Check the top of the block back where the transmission and engine block bolt together. Along the flat area between the top 2 transmission to engine bolts.

This photo is not of a diesel block but the circled area is where I would look for the partial VIN,,,

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...02blockvin.jpg

If not here, I would then check any machined flat area along the front of the block below each cylinder head.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Right side if you're sitting in the truck. I'm not sure if it's the number you're looking for but it's a good batch of numbers.
There is a sticker on the valve cover and the numbers I'm talking about are stamped above that. I'll try to get a picture for you.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
Right side if you're sitting in the truck. I'm not sure if it's the number you're looking for but it's a good batch of numbers.
There is a sticker on the valve cover and the numbers I'm talking about are stamped above that. I'll try to get a picture for you.
I would think it'd have to be on the block. Valve covers can be too easily swapped. Usually valve covers will have the engine family but not the serial #.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
After searching the net and reading the 6.7L coffee table book, I had not found anyone state where it is located. It appears that it might be any place on the block and might not be easily seen.

As I mentioned above might be locations, also check along the pan rail on both sides, also above the oil filter and above the starter. It could be located on any visible flat machined surface.

It puzzles me why they want the serial number off the engine. The engine/block can be replaced and will not have a serial number if new engine/block. If a used engine or block is used, then it will have a serial number that does not match your truck. USA stopped using the motor serial number many years ago due to this fact.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
Thanks - yeah, that is only part of the engine number (its the production number).

From what I understand, the number should start with a "6.7". I'll try looking in the locations suggested, thanks - visibility around the block on these is difficult.

Registration authorities require engine numbers for vehicles here, so if the vehicle is ever stolen it can't get parted out and the engine put in another vehicle. If you change the engine you have to report it to the equivalent to the DMV here. I agree not really necessary, but sadly I don't get a say in that.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
I spent 30 minutes looking for it on mine last night. I haven't been able to find it. Maybe PM vloney?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not but here are the locations for the 7.3 6.0 and 6.4 engines. Maybe it will be in a similar location on the 6.7?

Source: http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/DSRM.pdf

Old 02-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
A little off-topic, but isn't it quite a job to have a truck converted to right-hand drive? Wouldn't they have to re-engineer the control linkages?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom
A little off-topic, but isn't it quite a job to have a truck converted to right-hand drive? Wouldn't they have to re-engineer the control linkages?
I believe he has pics IIRC. Pretty much complete cab makeover.
Interior stripped and much welding required.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I spent 30 minutes looking for it on mine last night. I haven't been able to find it. Maybe PM vloney?
I think I will have to. I've looked everywhere that is somewhat accessible and I'll be damned if I can find it.

Originally Posted by Tom
Yeah, its a very large job. For the steering, a second steering box is bolted to the right hand chassis rail, which then drives the factory drag link. The factory steering box is retained and used as an "idler".

The electrical and the HVAC is where most of the work goes however.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Kaw-Liga
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re

After searching around a bit I found this post, by "moremph", over on the powerstrokenation.com forums (The emphasis in the quote below is mine).

Originally Posted by moremph
Engine Identification

Always refer to these labels when installation of new parts is necessary, or when checking engine calibrations. The engine parts often differ within a CID family. Verification of the identification codes make sure the correct parts are obtained. These codes contain all of the pertinent information relating to the dates, optional equipment and revisions. The Ford Catalog Advantage™, or equivalent, contains a complete listing of the codes and their application.

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label is mounted to the crankcase ventilation housing and contains the following information.

NOTE: The crankcase ventilation housing is mounted to the LH valve cover.

Item Description
1 Engine build location
2 Engine displacement
3 GVWR classification
4 Engine serial number (fuel injector label)
5 Cylinder No. location
6 Fuel injector IQA code
7 Engine serial number (engine label)
8 Engine part number

This is from back when the 6.7 was being released for the 2011 models, so there may be some difference.
Kept searching, but didn't turn up anything and got tired of it, so I hope this is what you need BigF350.

-Kaw-Liga.

Quick Reply: Engine Serial Number