6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Wix filters and green coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wix filters and green coolant

Hey guys,, can we start yet another thread on why these items are junk??

I'm hoping that I will not have my first unhappy customer. It's a company with a bunch of trucks,, and the first one showed up (just after having an egr delete n oil cooler done elsewhere,, wonder why) and has a wix filter n green coolant. The customer said ALL of their trucks run green n Wix, and didnt seem like they would be willing to change. It's in for a hot-long crank (no sweat--that's our wheelhouse). But now I've gotta have a talk with the decision maker of this company.

We will void oil cooler warranties if contaminated with green coolant (unless an emergency fill was needed). If it is contaminated,, we tell our customers that a flush is needed. Generally it is just a couple distilled flushes,, as long as it gets flushed out fairly quickly after contamination. I've already explained to the person that dropped the truck off about the high silicate in green coolant,,, I think he was brushing me off thinking I was just trying to upsell. Can we get a lil discussion,, or maybe some links that explain why green is bad??

I told this customer that I'm physically unable to tighten a wix filter or put green coolant in. I actually said the seas will part n the heavens will reign down. Lol. I refuse to compromise quality because a customer is set in their ways. I DO NOT want trucks out there with our name on it running green and wix.

Also,, I have had trucks come in on the hook for no starts,, running wix filters. I have changed the filter n cap,, and no more no start. Granted its normally because the wix cap has a motorcraft filter under it. But sticking to motorcraft just simplifies the situation.

Can some of you guys chime in on the disadvantages to running green and wix??

Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Depends on what green coolant is being used. Many brands have less silicate that Gold G05.

The original Rotella ELC was green until they switched to red with the standard ELC and Ultra ELC, which is now yellow? I believe the original Rotella was then renamed Shellzone.

If they are using off-the shelf green it might not even be diesel compatible, a point that needs to be made.

However, the safest course of action is to use EC-1 coolant or a known G05 that is changed often.

Josh

Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to see you won't compromise. You're business will be better off in the long run for sure.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Good to see you won't compromise. You're business will be better off in the long run for sure.
+1. You didn't get a good reputation by compromising, Anthony. DON"T START NOW.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If they are 6.0's just tell them to pull the OWNERS manual and see the requirement for the coolant and then have them check the specs on the stuff they are using. Do a search on the net for coolant specs and have that all printed out and better yet send electronic copies of all to the owner of the company to prove your point.

Get the specs for ELC from cat and other suitable fluids and include them if it is a $$ issue. Ford supposedly has a self contained flush system do you run something like that? If ya do you can also show them the reduced cost of flush and proper fill vs replacement of oil/egr cooler and related issues. Just some thoughts.

When I worked for a defense contractor, has so called engineers trying to convince all a problem was will the oil in use, contacted mobil and they SENT a company engineer to see what the issue was and he then briefed the brass that the engineer was full of it and he was able to provide documentation to prove his point. Just something else to consider.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I think I saved some links to technical papers on the coolant issue on my computer at home. I'll try and post them after work.

I've seen several posts saying there is a green ELC that's a low silicate HOAT (or even no silicate)OAT. I've yet to see a manufacturer name or part number. The ford SCA turns the Ford Gold coolant a shade of green also. I'd want specific info on what's in the trucks as there is a slight possibility they're ok.

I now it could be considered "propaganda" but the Ford YouTube video on the filters is convincing to me. While they spend a goin d bit of time discussing quality, there are some nice graphics and good points on fitment.

Most of our discussion on filters has revolved around the patent numbers, licensing, and business practices. It makes good sense and is almost certainly right but it's really speculation if you want to get technical.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM
jmtbiggin
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will the solid in the coolant fall out of solution and plug oil cooler even if egr is deleted? I thought the extreme temps of the egr caused this?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I think I saved some links to technical papers on the coolant issue on my computer at home. I'll try and post them after work.

I've seen several posts saying there is a green ELC that's a low silicate HOAT (or even no silicate)OAT. I've yet to see a manufacturer name or part number. The ford SCA turns the Ford Gold coolant a shade of green also. I'd want specific info on what's in the trucks as there is a slight possibility they're ok.

I now it could be considered "propaganda" but the Ford YouTube video on the filters is convincing to me. While they spend a goin d bit of time discussing quality, there are some nice graphics and good points on fitment.

Most of our discussion on filters has revolved around the patent numbers, licensing, and business practices. It makes good sense and is almost certainly right but it's really speculation if you want to get technical.
Shellzone and Deere are green coolant with less silicates than G05. Caterpillar DEAC has less silicates than G05 and is also green.

Rotella Coolant WAS green, now it's red ELC and yellow Ultra ELC.

All are 200K coolants. Getting hung up on ELC for the fact that it is a 500K+ coolant doesn't prove anything.

Neither does focusing on the OAT or HOAT make up.

I would simply explain; keep the green diesel specific coolant and flush every 30k or switch to ELC and never flush again.

Keep the WIX and you'll be paying me to correct the mistakes or switch to OEM and you'll see less of me.

Josh

Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by jmtbiggin
Will the solid in the coolant fall out of solution and plug oil cooler even if egr is deleted? I thought the extreme temps of the egr caused this?
Running too long between flushes causes silicate drop out.

Josh

Old 01-29-2015, 02:04 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup Ford thought they had a 100,000 mile coolant with their Gold but time proved them wrong.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
I'm not willing to "guess", or do any kind of a chemical composition test to tell if the green is diesel compatitable or not. I'm gonna hold to the undoubtable,, if its green,, it's bad.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
I'm not willing to "guess", or do any kind of a chemical composition test to tell if the green is diesel compatitable or not. I'm gonna hold to the undoubtable,, if its green,, it's bad.
That would be my opinion, if I didn't buy it I would assume it's off the shelf green all-vehicle Prestone.

Are you doing a contract?

Josh

Old 01-29-2015, 03:05 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Off topic anthony do you know your face book link don't work.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
Off topic anthony do you know your face book link don't work.

Also you have an install window on the live feed screen

Old 01-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Iaff113
Also you have an install window on the live feed screen
Yeah I saw it. Lol. I need a better camera because the gopro only lasts about 4 hours plugged in. I've tried the battery eliminator and it didn't function at all. That's the issue if you see "no signal" on the screen. But the window that was blocking the screen was some stupid update junk.

There is multiple disclosures on the contract,, written in red,, that states the only coolant allowed. And it states that the warranty is void if contaminated.

Quick Reply: Wix filters and green coolant