1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine for 52 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM
tryager
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine for 52 F1

Hi all,

I am a new member, and I have a 52 F1 that needs a new engine. I learned to drive on it, and it was our family farm truck growing up. I want to get it running again. Part of me would like to keep everything original, but I also want to drive it and enjoy it. I also would also like to keep things as simple and cheap as possible. I don't really care to hot rod it, either. I enjoyed its 3-on-the-tree transmission, but was also wondering if I should move to something else. Depending on the engine, I know I may need to.
[At least I think it's a 52. My dad always said it was a 53, and the title says 53, but it is definitely a 52 body. Any chances it really is a 53?]

Anyway, it had a straight 6 215 engine, which is nonrepairable. Besides finding an exact match, the easiest thing would be to find an engine that matches the bolt pattern of the existing transmission (which is a ). Does anyone know what engines could be possibilities?

Last weekend on my area craigslist I found an inline 6 from a 55 ford and a 300 from a late 60's car (probably my two best possibilities?). I found a FordOMatic 2 speed automatic transmission (if I had an engine to go with that). I found several 302s from 80s and 90s vehicles but didn't know if those would be options. Also found a 390 V8 (76 F150) and a 460 engine with c6 transmission (79 Ford truck). If I look more modern engines, is there a point (year) when the engine and transmission wouldn't fit at all? Are there ones that are more reliable than others?

I don't know a lot about engines and transmissions. I try to do car repairs myself with the help of a manual. Other than that I rely on help from friends. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If there are any existing threads that address some of these questions, please let me know. Also let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else (builds?) and if I ask too many questions on one post. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
A later 223 is virtually a drop-in and a decent engine. Surely the path of least cost/work. Why is yours irreparable? Cracked block?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Some states used to title a vehicle the year it was sold instead of the year of manufacture. I have my dads '47 tonner that came from his brother in laws farm in Pennsylvania. It was originally titled as a '48, and still is, but it is a '47 and has a '47 serial number.
Mark

Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

There are lots of engine options for your truck. I'm no expert, but you have come to the right place to get your questions answered.

The family history on this is great! We'd love to see pictures of your truck.

Keeping it mostly stock is a good plan, in my opinion. But others will disagree.

You should get a few things before you get started working on the truck. One would be the Shop Manual.
Amazon.com: 1949 1950 1951 1952 FORD PICKUP TRUCK Shop Manual: Automotive Amazon.com: 1949 1950 1951 1952 FORD PICKUP TRUCK Shop Manual: Automotive

And there's a Parts Catalog CD available.
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

Plus there are several parts vendors with websites and paper catalogs they'll send for free.

Classic Haulers
Home - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts

C&G
C&G Ford Parts

Chuck's Trucks
Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

Dennis Carpenter
Dennis Carpenter Ford Car, F-100 Pickup Truck, 8N, 9N Tractor and Cushman Scooter Restoration Parts

LMC
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Obsolete
http://www.classicautopartsonlinecat...kCode=fpu13flx

Just to name a few.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 PM
61panman
7th Gear
Hey tryager, I have a 52 F-1 and it's titled 53 as well, I believe it to be a left over and sold in 53?
My motor was change by PO and it's a 283 SBC with converter bell housing and adapted for the front motor mount. Same as yours 3 speed stick and I've changed out the rear axle with a 9 inch, 3.25 gears.
I do like the setup but I'd have to agree with Jolly Roger Joe to keep it mostly stock, I see a flat head in the future.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 PM
tryager
New User
ALBUQ F-1,
The original engine is nonrepairable because... (is there an award around here for being stupid?) ... I ran it out of oil, siezing it, throwing rods, gouging cylinders and bending the crankshaft. It's a testimony to my ignorance about cars. My dad didn't teach me much more than how to change the oil. A few years after my dad passed away, I drove it from our farm in western KS to where I lived in the eastern part of the state. I only drove a few other errands around town before I ruined it. I didn't know that it used much oil and never saw an oil leak on the ground. But it hadn't been driven that far (maybe ever), and I should've done the simple thing and checked the oil after getting home (it was changed before I drove it). Wish there were do-overs...

Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Tryager, don't be so hard on yourself. Most of us have done something similar. Besides, you can't change what's happened. You do, however, have a choice now. I agree with JollyRoger Joe. Keep it stock. It will save you money. You can find a good used motor if you are patient. Keeping it stock will allow you to use the manuals as you gain experience wrenching on your truck. After you have a good-running truck, you can still make changes from a more experienced and knowledgable position. Hope this helps and welcome to the best forum out there!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Gotta agree, the 223 or another 215 would be the simplest solution. Shouldn't be too hard to find one in your area. 223's were used in cars, pickups and even some bigger trucks from '54-'64.....

Old 01-16-2015, 09:17 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
If he found a 223 out of a car, would all of the trim and pan off of his 215 fit?
Mark

Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 PM
tryager
New User
Jolly Roger Joe,

Thanks for all the links! Great suggestion to get the shop manual--I had no idea those could still be found. Your list will definitely save me time as I get into more and more work. Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I bought the shop manual on CD, it's even better than the paper manual IMO. It's searchable, unlike the Parts CD.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The oil pick up may need to be changed if a 223 from a car is used. Need the truck pick up tube to work with the deep truck oil pan.

My 52 Panel was titled as a 53 because it was sold in 53 as new. When I bought it, I had the title changed to the proper year by providing documentation from a Ford truck history book on how to decode the serial number.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
If you find a good engine that's a ways away, look up engineshipping.com I used them to get a 6 cyl diesel from Texas to Washington. I had first called yellow freight and it was 1450.00 Engine shipping found a space for the pallet on a UPS truck for 400.00. I have heard good results about using fastenal too. Of course local is best to see it run. I had the texan post up a youtube video with an oil pressure gauge showing. I vote for the original flathead six. Out of curiosity would a V8 bolt right in?

Old 01-17-2015, 12:29 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I vote for the original flathead six. Out of curiosity would a V8 bolt right in?
In '52, the original 6 was OHV, the first year of the new engine. The flat V8 would bolt in with the correct bellhousing (6 and 8 are different) and motor mounts, replacing/adjusting linkages, new exhaust, radiator, shroud, wiring, and tons of other little changes. If you're going to do all that, you could almost as easy swap to a modern engine/drivetrain, imho. It's the same work and might even be less expensive. For simplicity sake to someone who admittedly is not overly mechanically inclined, I'd agree to stick with the 215/223 and be back on the road.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer? If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your picture taking device before you can post it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: engine for 52 F1