1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

TYC Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TYC Starter

So... my 95's starter has started slowing down and drawing more and more power to get the engine started. This is a classic sign of impending starter failure, so I started looking around for a replacement. I hate direct drive starters - had way too many experiences with them in British and other vintage vehicles - and wanted a gear reduction starter. I'd read here and elsewhere that the starter from a 7.3L PSD SuperDuty was a gear reduction starter and would fit; further, the late-01 on 7.3 used a lighter gear reduction starter that eliminated that really annoying third bolt that's so damn irritating to get out.

Well, used starters in the area were stupidly priced, retail starters all had a large core fee that I couldn't get back as I wouldn't be handing in the exact same starter. I was shopping on RockAuto and came across the TYC brand starter, brand new, $68 with no core. Since I had to order some stuff anyway, I thought this might work out well. Googling around showed that there were a few good reviews for it with the 7.3 and no major bad reviews. I decided to pull the trigger, and it showed up today.

Name:  CMuQu5Fl.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  58.6 KB

It came with a test sheet showing that this specific starter had been tested and passed various tests prior to being shipped (it's serialized so I'm not going to post it) as well as another page showing generic starter installation tips such as 'make sure your battery is fully charged.' Fairly well written, not Engrish. Once you remove those, there's some wrapping/packing paper and then the starter itself.

Name:  CieuAsDl.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  61.7 KB

Pulled it out and got all-around pictures.

Name:  DxuzspVl.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  ducgyp9l.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  BIbfuYul.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  290QTGPl.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  rvWo44yl.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  55.7 KB

Looks to be well done, not your typically poorly machined Chinese-made Denso knockoff. I'll let y'all know how it does with starting after I install it sometime in the next few days.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:38 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That's a good price, yes, let us know how it works.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Just for comparison/baseline:

Example startup with original direct-drive starter, 327,000 miles. Ambient conditions: 61 degrees F, no appreciable wind. Truck is dead cold, hasn't been driven for about 12-14 hours. Start procedure accomplished by remote starter system - activation, 45 second delay (to allow for glow plugs), then crank starter.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a good price and ever better write up and pics :-)

I may be needing a new starter for my rebuild truck. Current one works but is slow and backup is a Chinese SD denso knockoff that needs new solenoid contacts (after only 1.5 yrs use).

At $68 bucks (and a good review from you) maybe a brand new one is in order instead of time and money into the Chinese junk on my shelf.

Just to be clear, the one you bought is NOT an SD style one though, but direct drive OBS style instead, right?

Edit: check that, I see that it IS an SD-style one after all. Stupid small phone screen :-)

Old 01-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Yup, but it's the late SD style that only needs two bolts.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Working on it now, this may become a "how to get your starter off" writeup with pics as well, at least in part.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Use an extension over the top of the starter for the top bolt. Anyway, be sure to let us know about that starter. It just so happens, mine just started crapping out. It started spinning without engaging. I guess that means its starting to go bad.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Yeah, I figured out the proper combination of extensions and a swivel joint to get it out. Taking a break for a bit to figure out the one electrical change that would need to be made.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Got it in. Fastest start up I've ever heard from an even vaguely cold early PSD. Started up with just a touch of the key after the WTS light went out. Didn't whack the batteries down anywhere near the same level the old starter did. More later, cleaning tools.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I was wondering when someone else was going to find those.
I stock them for the 6.0, but they are too new to us yet to really know how long they will last.
But at $68 it's very hard to beat.
IMO they can't be any worse than the parts store junk.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Any indication where it's made?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by madpogue
Any indication where it's made?
Sadly, it *is* made in China. However, it seems to be an original design, not a knockoff like most nameless China garbage. Also unlike most China garbage, it seems well machined. I get the feeling this is something that TYC is very interested in making a good impression with so they can break into the market, so they're not likely to suck.

Originally Posted by DZL JIM
I was wondering when someone else was going to find those.
I stock them for the 6.0, but they are too new to us yet to really know how long they will last.
But at $68 it's very hard to beat.
IMO they can't be any worse than the parts store junk.
Yes, and local parts stores sell worse starters for twice as much as well.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
And video of the new starter:

Ambient conditions: 63 degrees F, no appreciable wind. Start procedure accomplished by remote starter - activation, 45 second delay, then attempt a start. Truck had been sitting for about 10 hours so was again dead cold. Pretty easy to tell it's a lot happier with the new starter.

For those that ask, the remote starter was used because 1) that's how I normally start the truck and 2) to eliminate any human variables, such as how long the key was turned, how much arc the key was turned, etc., etc. In both cases the truck was also on its on-board battery maintainer (yes, I have one installed) for at least 10 hours prior to start to give it the best chance, and in both cases the battery maintainer reported the batteries as fully charged immediately prior to start.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Spktyr
Sadly, it *is* made in China. However, it seems to be an original design, not a knockoff like most nameless China garbage. Also unlike most China garbage, it seems well machined. I get the feeling this is something that TYC is very interested in making a good impression with so they can break into the market, so they're not likely to suck.
I saw somewhere that they're made in Taiwan, not mainland China. There's a big difference and sometimes the difference between the two countries gets confused. Does the label actually say "Made in China?"

Regardless of where it's made, common sense says that a new gear reduction starter that retails for $68 is going to have some compromises either in material or workmanship or both in order to make a profit at that price.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TYC Part # 117578 {#F4TZ11002ARM}
Planetary Gear Reduction; OE Manufacturer: Mitsubishi; Power: 2.2KW

Listed on Rockauto for 116$

Quick Reply: TYC Starter