Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Sondra Roberts
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP!

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2000 crew cab heavy duty diesel, I like to do my own work on my trucks/cars as much as I can... so since this girl is a chevy girl I don't know much about fords.... I bought it at 214000miles and the owner before me didn't do any general work on it....so I have a leak (oil) but I cant really tell where its coming from cause the whole pan is covered with thick oil resin...and my oil filter looks like its sweating oil.....its not a constant drip as of now, I know I need to change the oil cause its black....but I feel like there could be clog some where and I am concerned about a possible head gasket issue..... so hopefully someone can give me some info to help me get this truck running at top notch without breaking the bank.....

Old 01-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
First I would wipe down everything you can get your hands on. That will help a lot with figuring out where the leak is...

Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Sondra Roberts
New User
thanks, I am cleaning that now, I am just afraid of what I might fined...what are the most common problems ford diesels have at 200000+ miles the trany is rebuilt , just not sure how long ago.....

Old 01-15-2015, 06:52 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
earlier super duty oil pans have a history of rusting through so spray it down as indicated and check the oil pan directly.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM
CR3999!
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might what to poet this in the 7,3 forum. And let the 7.3 gods help ya out. A lot of those guys eat ,sleep 7.3s

Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just so it can be eliminated as a possibility, look in between the valve covers for any oil or fuel sitting in there. Anywhere from right behind the fuel filter back to the turbo.

Leaks from the bottom side are the oil pan itself, (hope not). The oil cooler o-rings, which is that tube that's about the size of a grease gun that the oil filter is threaded into on the back side, and possibly a leak from the front of the motor.

And, most importantly, Welcome to FTE!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CR3999!
Might what to poet this in the 7,3 forum. And let the 7.3 gods help ya out. A lot of those guys eat ,sleep 7.3s
We can get a mod to move it.

P.M. sent to a mod to move it.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well If your truck is a 2000 it is a 7.3l powerstroke they don't have the head gasket problems like the newer 6.0's and 6.4 powerstrokes have. One of the more common problems is the cam position sensor lots of people carry an extra one with them. I think it's a good start to clean everything off to hopefully help you track down the leak it should make it easier to find where it's coming from. Another thing to remember on the Diesel engines when you change the oil you don't get all of the old oil out a few quarts stay in the hpop ( high pressure oil pump) so it will look dirty even when new after you run it the first time but an oil change is still a good idea with a new to you truck you may also want to consider with 200k is doing a coolant flush unless you have some documentation of it being done.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Moved to the 7.3L forum.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 411 Likes on 234 Posts
Spray the whole thing down (top and bottom of motor) with some simple green, let it soak about 15 minutes and then rinse it off. Cover your power steering pump cap with a little aluminum foil to keep the water out and also your air filter if it's open. Once you get it cleaned up you can have a better idea of where to start. As any number of leaks may appear in some of the strangest places, it's difficult to diagnose on the Internet. Maybe you will get lucky and its just a loose oil filter. As you are in CA, there are several of us throughout the state that may be able to lend a hand if needed depending upon where you are located.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Tons of knowledge on here. Heres a pic of where the sensors are so you know when people start throwing out acronyms. I agree with others on cleaning the eng first. If its coming from up top it could be the turbo pedestal, ICP, HPOP, oil rail plugs and so on. The head gaskets just about never leak so I wouldnt worry about that. The oil will gather in the valley and run to the back of the where there is a drain hole and run down the back of the block and make it look like the rear main seal or head gaskets are leaking which there not. A very very very good cleaning with degreaser and hose with a spray nozzle works great. Also cover the small hole on the power steering pump cap so water dont get in there.

Attached Images    
Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Diver Dan, where does it say she's in CA? I dont see it.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
As mentioned above if it from the left side down low it could be the oil cooler. Here's a link to a how to and discussions on the oil cooler.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-of-year.html

If it's in the back of the motor and on the right side it could be coming from up top between the valve covers and running down.
A link to a really good description of diagnosing top side leaks

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-valley.html

Best thing to do is get it really clean and go from there.

Welcome to FTE

Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Diver Dan, where does it say she's in CA? I dont see it.
Click on user name then public profile. It gives bio info the user has put in.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Damn!!! You guys want to make her an expert in one thread!

Should we lock Tugly out of this thread??!

Anyhow, Sondra, take it one step at a time. There are some good references in this thread already for future use.

Quick Reply: HELP!