1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Fitting Behind the Wheel- Fat Guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
xplodn
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitting Behind the Wheel- Fat Guy

Hey Guys, I'm looking at picking up a 68 F250 that's come my way. It's a state away but one of those things that might be too good to pass on. Question- without any steering wheel adjustments can a guy who is 6'2" 330lbs like myself fit in it ok? I'm not super fat but have some cushion up front.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:53 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm on the slimmer side so I can't say if you will or not. but these trucks don't have much room from the bench seat to the bottom of steering wheel. Lots of times that has been brought up in threads. I've seen others ask the same question if there's enough room. With the behind the seat gas tank gives it even less room in the cab. These problems can all be overcome to allow a bigger fellow to ride in comfortably. But all I volve modification of some sort. You can go mild to wild on making more room just depends what direction you want to take. You can swap in a 78-79 tilt wheel steering column, modify your existing column I think I saw someone move the wheel closer to you giving more leg room but then the "cushion" might start rubbing the steering wheel. You can swap steering wheels to a smaller diameter. That will mean more effort to turn the wheel though. Get an aftermarket column like an ididit or similar. Also you can remove the in cab tank and relocate it under the bed to allow the seat to go back farther. I've seen others modify the seat frame/springs so you sit lower to the floor. Many ways to overcome it. If the truck is worth it don't let a small issue like that stop you from getting it.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 PM
xplodn
Tuned
I found one locally today that had an aftermarket seat in it and it was tight! It was far more forward but raised the concern for me.

There is a few issues I ha e , its a manual truck so you have to be able to shift on the collum, and it's a manual steering so you need to be able to crank on it.

I'm not worried about modifications. Truck is already a dual tank truck so if I have to remove the in-cab tank that's ok. Anyone done that to gain the room that has a write up/ pictures? I would hate to get all the way over there and barely be able to squeeze in there for a test drive.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Lots of us are running there trucks with no in cab tank. Pretty straight forward remove tank redo your fuel lines to delete the in cab supply. Do you know if the other tanks are run from a dash switch or do they run off a fuel selector valve on the floor right beside the seat? Someone should chime in with pics of there tank removed. Showing the extra room.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM
xplodn
Tuned
I don't have any idea on how this ones setup but modifications are not an issue. Its not going to be a daily driver, more a project.

Anyone have pictures or measurements of what space is gained with the tank out?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I am not as tall as you but I am a large fellow, around 300lbs. I fit in mine with the stock seat and wheel and have no trouble with a floor shift an no PS. Just don't put wide tires on the front or swich to a smaller wheel unless you have PS.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xplodn
I don't have any idea on how this ones setup but modifications are not an issue. Its not going to be a daily driver, more a project.

Anyone have pictures or measurements of what space is gained with the tank out?
I don't think removing the tank helps much. The top portion of the seat is already back to within an inch of the cab. There was a thread on here where a guy removed the springs from the seat and replaced them with a metal pan, then put foam over it. (insert pic) There was some gain in room for the driver by doing that but I'm not sure how much. A couple of inches of head and back room maybe? You can also go with a smaller wheel if you have power steering.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 PM
xplodn
Tuned
There we go. I appreciate the feedback. I am planning on a power steering upgrade possibly so that could help with the smaller wheel. I'm not new to fitting into a smaller ride. My civic and wrangler were both fine, even with the seat back up.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 PM
xplodn
Tuned
Originally Posted by Uni Moe

I don't think removing the tank helps much. The top portion of the seat is already back to within an inch of the cab. There was a thread on here where a guy removed the springs from the seat and replaced them with a metal pan, then put foam over it. (insert pic).
Gorgeous seat. Just factory recovered or thinned out?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm 6'1", and I find my truck to be the most comfortable to sit in of any other vehicle. Although I'm quite a bit thinner @ only 135lbs. Lol

Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats mine. I cut the springs out, fabbed up a sheetmetal bottom and back. The bottom has 2 inch firm foam and the back is only 1/2 inch foam.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
What I did to that seat made a HUGE difference in how much room is in the cab. I also put an 1970 econoline steering wheel in which is not as dished as a stock wheel. It is probably 1.5 inches shallower.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
F100 yours is one of the modified seats I was referring to. just couldn't remember exactly who it was. Yours stuck out because of the beads rolled in it. Came out smoothly and I like how you kept a bench seat in your build.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM
nevaplayedk9
Senior User
Originally Posted by xplodn
Hey Guys, I'm looking at picking up a 68 F250 that's come my way. It's a state away but one of those things that might be too good to pass on. Question- without any steering wheel adjustments can a guy who is 6'2" 330lbs like myself fit in it ok? I'm not super fat but have some cushion up front.
I'm 6'2, 245lbs........fit in ok in my 70 f100. it has a OEM steering wheel/bench seat. if it's the same, you should be okay (i have a few pounds in the gut too)

Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
I'm 6'1", and I find my truck to be the most comfortable to sit in of any other vehicle. Although I'm quite a bit thinner @ only 135lbs. Lol
And I thought I was skinny. 5' 10" at 155 lbs. that's ok, us skinny folks can more easily fit behind the wheel or get up under the dash to work on stuff under there.

Quick Reply: Fitting Behind the Wheel- Fat Guy