Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Transmission cooler Line

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too much cooler is not a good thing. You can install a thermostat so you ATF will get up to operating temp.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:28 PM
R1racer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought bigger cooler is better cooling for the fluid ..?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
What he is saying is you dont want the trans to be too cool, and or take all day to warm up. Stock cooler from a 6.0 is probably fine. The one i picked up is like 18" x 8".

Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
R1racer
Senior User
My plan was to find 6.0 Tranny Oil cooler if there is a better option out there i would like to go with it .
hairyboxnoogle what brand did you go with if you don't mind , I will be hauling race trailer with this truck and don't want to take a chance

Old 02-20-2015, 04:00 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I just grabbed it out of the junkyard, cant even remember what it was on. If you run the trans line to the radiator, then to the aux. cooler back to the trans, you will probably be fine. If you really want piece of mind, buy a trans temp gauge. Ideal is 165* Normal operating temps should be between 150-180, i wouldnt go over 220 if i could help it, 240 is very bad.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:51 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Stick with your plan and use a 6.oh cooler.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:46 PM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
clean oil

Just had my c6 overhauled. Kitted, torque converter set for diesel stall, towing bands, clutches etc. Been a bit of a granny getting past distractions, but back on it now. Tranny shop would offer no warranty if I re used any components in the cooler system. So new cooler with t-stat, lines and magnetic filter. Cooler in core blanked off, old external cooler removed. Cost? Extra 300? I like the filter the most never thought about metal particles before but now that it has been pointed out I should have.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by southern-old-bold
Cooler in core blanked off
caution.
without a primary water to oil cooler,your trans will no longer cool well at idle/slow off road use,using just an air to oil cooler.
keep an eye on trans temp gauge below converter lockup speeds.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 PM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
primary cooler

A sensible comment Ford250, hopefully the electric fan installation with manual override (that I didn't mention) will take care of it.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
I've never had the need for a fan on a trans cooler but had the idea years ago to use the cooling fan from a motorcycle. I did some road racing years ago and everyone removes the fans and a lot of them end up on ebay. Go to ebay and search "gsxr fan". Other tags for cycle models are cbr, r6, r1. All are 12volt systems.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:46 AM
R1racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by bashby
I've never had the need for a fan on a trans cooler but had the idea years ago to use the cooling fan from a motorcycle. I did some road racing years ago and everyone removes the fans and a lot of them end up on ebay. Go to ebay and search "gsxr fan". Other tags for cycle models are cbr, r6, r1. All are 12volt systems.

Funny i just removed my Race R6 fan and it ended up on E-Bay . My idea is to just get a moderate bigger oil cooler for the more fluid to circulate and more surface area to get cooled . Nothing major as all what i will be towing is my race trailer

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by R1racer
Funny i just removed my Race R6 fan and it ended up on E-Bay . My idea is to just get a moderate bigger oil cooler for the more fluid to circulate and more surface area to get cooled . Nothing major as all what i will be towing is my race trailer
That's kinda funny, I've noticed your username before and figured you were into roadracing but didn't notice it was you posting here. I had an r6 for a short time, just did track days with it, raced a fzr400 for one season then got a sv650 that I ran WERA and CCS at Summit Point, VIR, and went to the WERA nationals at Road Atlanta once. Good times. Want to buy a vs that's been sitting a few years?

The older I get, the faster I was.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 AM
R1racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by bashby
That's kinda funny, I've noticed your username before and figured you were into roadracing but didn't notice it was you posting here. I had an r6 for a short time, just did track days with it, raced a fzr400 for one season then got a sv650 that I ran WERA and CCS at Summit Point, VIR, and went to the WERA nationals at Road Atlanta once. Good times. Want to buy a vs that's been sitting a few years?

The older I get, the faster I was.
Right on ... Yes sir that would be me as i owned F250 while back that i couldn't stand and sold it on a hart beat.

I ran with few racing team from Up NJ and PA on the R1 , 954, 929 and my beloved Rc51 and Ducati during the CCS but never jumped on the WERA class. Crashed hard on Beaver Run race way 7 years ago on the R1 as my rear wheel got touched on the back during Moto Cup race sending me High sided to the sky before i moved to NC.

Finally finished building an R6 to run that class and here comes the 7.3 IDi to take the race machine and the crew every where . Our Race team AKA ( T&R racing ) will be doing endure race and like you said the older we get the fast we are( You get wise and see the race line much better ) rather the twist the throttle hard .

Been at Summit so many times before i moved to NC from PA , Most my tracks near NC will be VIR, NC bike and Carolina Motorsports SC. However during the Endure race i will be at Summit

SV are a cool machines i am all about the Twin power, I spoiled my self with a Ducati S2r 1k for the street just for the torque/power . once you race a 2 wheel it's impossible to get it out of your system. Hopefully you get one sooner our later to get you out there

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
cooler fan

bashby
Post Fiend

____
I guess I could have explained better in my previous post, I have a large tranny cooler installed, in front of the radiator core, which I have fitted twin electric cooling fans to. My acknowledgement of FORDF250XLT's comment re low speed work/idling and mention of electric fans with a manual override switch could have confused due to possibly an inexact desrciption. My old slugger is 2wd and a tow wagon mainly so gets very little of the other work.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM
R1racer
Senior User
Talked to the shop this morning every thing went smooth so far with replacing my Pump seal , Rear main looked great , But when the guy returned from the Test drive he notice the Over drive flashed . I took the thing to them running perfect with no codes beside Pump seal .

crossing my fingers it's only something simple , dirty wiring, low oil or something that they have to worry about it no me . He said he will scan . The curiosity getting the best of me.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler Line