Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing Hub Replacement Question

Old 01-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Submarine Docker
Junior User
Submarine Docker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bearing Hub Replacement Question

Looks like I need to replace driver's side front wheel bearing hub due to bearing starting to fail. I have a rotational rumble that is directly related to speed and is getting worse. It occurs in both 2WD and 4WD. Things done so far: new tires w/ alignment, locking hub maintenance, new brakes - rotors, calipers, pads and hoses, new shocks, front axle turns freely and u-joints look good. I think this all started when caliper froze up on that side or it could just be the mileage (281K). Rock Auto seems to have the best prices. Any recommendations as to Timken or Motorcraft? About $100 difference in price.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
I'm probably missing something, why does the hub have to be replaced if the bearings are bad? That sucks.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Christof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
I'm probably missing something, why does the hub have to be replaced if the bearings are bad? That sucks.
The hub bearing on a 4x4 is a pressed together, sealed unit.
I work as the milling department head of a fully tooled cnc machine shop...
We do not have the capability to rebuild a hub unit at my shop.
Not much of a chance for the layman to accomplish such a feat in his home garage...

Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Ouch! More expense, then.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Christof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant futureChristof13T has a brilliant future
Depends...
In a jam... i was able to locate a chinese hub off ebay for 45$.
It has been holding on so far and has been almost a year...

Better believe as soon as i could afford it i had 2 made in u.s.a. hubs ordered for "just in case".

Old 01-06-2015, 04:21 PM
ebbnflow
Senior User
ebbnflow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I ordered the Timkens with a 3yr warranty from autozone for about $150 each. It was the only place I could find that offered 3 years. Amazon and others say only 1 year. The motorcraft ones were too rich for my blood at about $260 IIRC.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:27 PM
jgilrfr
Elder User
jgilrfr has a good reputation on FTE.jgilrfr has a good reputation on FTE.
make sure the threads on the studs are correct on the new one,some arecoarse and some are fine

Old 01-07-2015, 12:57 PM
FSJ-EARL
Senior User
FSJ-EARL is starting off with a positive reputation.
I picked up my Timken hubs / bearings at the local AutoZone and they were pretty reasonably priced. Much cheaper than the Motorcraft and a better quality, at least in my experience.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.
Jim, if you buy locally you have the opportunity to manually turn the hubs to check for too tight torque from the factory. I bought two Timken bearings. The first one had a "ratcheting" feel to it when turned by hand, indicating too tight a factory torque. The second one the outer stub support needle bearing had been pressed to tightly into the hub causing the needle bearings to lay slightly sideways and preventing the needle bearings from spinning. So I asked the auto parts store to bring out two more for inspection. Both of them were ok and still work after 15K miles.
Larry