Sponsored by: Moser

Stock stock stock 1979 351m? Should I gut this baby

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Stock stock stock 1979 351m? Should I gut this baby

So I just picked up a 1979 Ford F150 4x4 that is about as bone stock as I have ever seen. It is in need of some tlc and some body work but under the hood is just as Henry Jr. made it. And thats no joke, its all there. All the vacuum lines, the emissions junk and those odd catch cans on the side of the frame rail. Factory air cleaner and on and on and on. So in an attempt to get it running better tonight I had a thought to just strip all that crap off and start plugging vacuum lines. It even has the two vacuum ports things on the water neck still intact. Any advice would be very helpful, I have not done any damage yet but I fear the day is getting near. I have dreams of making it look like my 292 y block in my 60, bare bones. The engine is a 351M with factory everything in tact, factory carb etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The problem is that stuff oftentimes can't be removed without making it run much worse than it already does. It can be done, but you better know what you're doing. Apparently it's not as simple as it should be.

Then there's resale value, if you do want to sell it can be difficult if your state has emission testing. Just something to think about.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Well either leave it alone and just drive it, start yanking stuff and you might mess up the choke or the MPG, not that you get that much anyway.

Or take a bunch of detailed pics of it all and then take it all off very carefully. Because I am sure there is some FTE guy that wants it and that ='s $$ for you and maybe enough for at least a new Alum intake or 4bbl.

My ol silver 77.5 351M is stock as the day it rolled off the line too with all the vacuum stuff ect...and a/c and I like it just the way it looks.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:51 PM
51M1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would leave it stock and replace the vacuum hoses. Using the old ones as templates to get everything exact. You can always go aftermarket at a later date if you choose. F150 4X4's are not as numerous as 2WD Trucks. Short boxes are a lot rarer. But its your truck. Make it your own however you like it. If you change things... Document everything, take many pics and be careful to save all the old parts (as stated above) in case you ever want to return to absolute stock.

And whatever you do... Please post some pics so we can see your truck. Love the older 1/2 ton 4X4's

Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the advice folks. This truck was an early christmas gift for my son, I surprised him with it on monday. We will get some pics posted and I thank you all for talking me off the ledge. It will remain stock, we will just throw some time, money and profanities at it until we get it right. We did get a factory service manual on ebay so we will wait till that shows up before we start the tune. Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2014, 12:29 PM
77blue
Junior User
No such person as Henry Ford JR. Henry Ford had one son Edsel Ford. Edsel had 4 children, Henry Ford II, Benson, Josephine and William Clay.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. If want some serious boost in HP, torque, and MPG out of that 351M, start hanging out down in the 335-series engine forum... start here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14934796

. Just ignore the posters full of too much Xmas 'spirits' down at the bottom of that thread and on page 2... Merry Xmas...

Old 12-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run a similar truck... '78/400 all stock. With a full tuneup, reman carb and inspect/replace as needed vacuum lines it runs great.

I'd start with the tune up including new good quality wires and go from there. If the carb is original or suspect, it may need rebuilt or replaced with reman.

As posted above, just pulling the emissions stuff off may make it worse. Doing it "right" means different carb and distributor calibration for starters... a big project with little gain unless you rebuild/upgrade the rest of the engine. If you do pull it, do it carefully and completly and you may be able to sell it to somebody in CA who needs it to pass emissions test.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:59 AM
supertuff
Junior User
the first thing i would do is think of your buddies. i would get lots of pictures before you do anything , or you could end up like this . this is a 79 351m as well - 4x short box. i am still amazed that anyone could let a vehicle go down like this. the p-o didnt lift a finger to try and preserve it. when new this was a beautiful machine. im slowly bringing it back bit by bit.

dont forget to post the pictures !

Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 PM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. Those Eddy chrome valvecovers make a 351M so fast one doesn't need to preserve anything... LOL!

Old 12-26-2014, 12:16 AM
51M1
Senior User
Originally Posted by supertuff
the first thing i would do is think of your buddies. i would get lots of pictures before you do anything , or you could end up like this . this is a 79 351m as well - 4x short box. i am still amazed that anyone could let a vehicle go down like this. the p-o didnt lift a finger to try and preserve it. when new this was a beautiful machine. im slowly bringing it back bit by bit.

dont forget to post the pictures !

This looks like 70's 80's attempt at engine bay customization. We did it all the time back then. If the wiring harness wasn 't butchered by the PO consider yourself lucky. Not to hard to change back to stock. Pictures of unmolested trucks can be extremely valuable to owners wanting to return things to stock. It takes lots of hunting for old parts to restore with as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 AM
63flareside
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
heres the pics of the truck dad bought me on Monday. I will get some better pictures of the interior and exterior soon.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Red Mercury
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My father and brother each bought brand new 1979 F150's each with 400's.

One was a 4X4 with a 4 speed manual T18--it had minimal smog equipment installed (no air pump) apparently because it was a slightly heavier truck and that had something to do with the smog equipment that got installed. The truck ran well, started well, and I own it today. It is still a great truck.

The other truck was a 2WD with a C6 and it had all the original smog equipment--air pump, vacuum lines, etc. The truck ran well when new. My brother decided to do himself a favour and remove the smog equipment, and plug the vacuum ports etc. The idea was to improve gas mileage and performance. The truck never started well after that and you had to feather the accelerator to keep it running until it warmed up. Gas mileage did not improve--I am not sure about performance. He sold the truck a few years later.

Like the saying goes "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!". Don't get me wrong, I like well done upgrades to these old trucks as much as the next guy. There are great improvements that can be made to these old trucks if you know what you are doing and do the upgrades for the right reasons.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 AM
supertuff
Junior User

thats almost spooky... this is the interior on my truck / was.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
It's pretty easy to spot trends reading the forums and troubleshooting problems after a while. One of them is people trying to get smog-era motors to run halfway right long after somebody yanked everything and threw it away. First rule of intelligent tinkering is "save all the pieces."

Quick Reply: Stock stock stock 1979 351m? Should I gut this baby