1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newb needs help - 1956 F500 what battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Newb needs help - 1956 F500 what battery?

Hi from Connecticut! Firstly, even without being a member, this forum has already given me such a wealth of information that helped me decide whether or not to purchase 1956 F500. After all the preliminary checks she seems solid and a great foundation for a restoration. So for that, THANK YOU! So now that I can post a few questions I'm even more grateful.

Once she's up and running, "Ethel" (wife already named her) will be coming home in the coming weeks. But first I need a battery. I have the parts and accessories manual and shop manual for the truck and found the tray dimensions, but can't find a battery to fit. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you!
Calvin

Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Hey, Calvin! Welcome to FTE.

You should be able to find what you need here:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

If not, post back with your engine size and we'll see what we can dig up.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the rapid response! I've had several phone calls with Napa, Advance Auto Parts and Autozone and they all say they can't search for a battery based on dimensions. So I gave them the truck year, make and model and they checked that way. Even though some came up with hits, all batteries are higher than 8" and wider than 5.5".

Engine is a 272 (I think). I can't find any information that would indicate it is a 292. I decoded the VIN (F50V6E47653) and it seems the "V" indicates it is a 272.

I'm curious to know what the owners of the same truck are using.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Probably used a group 29

Just find the largest, heaviest highest CCA battery that will physically fit and you'll be all set. A farm and fleet store would work here, bring a tape measure.

edit: Was the 56 originally a 6 volt positive ground? That would explain the sizing issues, if so. Most had been converted to 12 volts at some point.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Probably used a group 29

Just find the largest, heaviest highest CCA battery that will physically fit and you'll be all set. A farm and fleet store would work here, bring a tape measure.

edit: Was the 56 originally a 6 volt positive ground? That would explain the sizing issues, if so. Most had been converted to 12 volts at some point.
1956 was the first year of the 12V negative ground. (for Ford trucks)

Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
1956 was the first year of the 12V negative ground. (for Ford trucks)
Yup I caught that too...saw a great post from some time ago showing the differences between the models (F100/F500) through the years...I believe '53-'56. I like the 12 volt system since I can put a winch on the back to pull my Farmalls on the bed. Of course can't get a winch to work if I ain't got a battery.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
While I'm thinking of it, it would be wise to buy a trickle charger, or a good battery maintainer, when buying a battery. Unless this is a daily driver, many batteries in collector cars are ruined by sitting for long periods. That way it will give good service when called upon and you can keep other equipment charged up too. And they sure are cheaper than batteries and alternators.

If you are using a winch, you probably would best be served with an AGM battery, as they will handle deep discharges.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:54 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
I would take my tape measure to Wal-Mart or a farm supply house and physically search. The Optima line is also worth considering. Your problem has a ready solution.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I run a group 24F in my F350. A group 24 would work if your cables are long enough. Several other sizes will most likely fit as there seems to be lots of room around my battery.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Thanks all!

Seems I'm reading the information in the Parts and Accessories catalog possibly incorrectly. There are "battery chart" and "battery hold down" dimensions. Basically the battery chart indicates the battery is 5.5" wide by 8" high and either 12.5" or 14.5" long. Can't find a battery these days even near these dimensions. Then I scroll down to the next page and see the battery hold down dimensions. There are three listed and I don't know what this truck's battery holder is supposed to be. Two are non-adjustable 5-11/16ths by 12-5/8ths" or 14-3/8ths while the other is adjustable. Looks like I'm taking an hour's drive to measure the box myself. I probably should've done that before bothering you fine folks. I'll report back! THANK YOU!

EDIT: I think I just found my solution! http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=51

Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
You're overthinking this. I think.

If you were to pick a modern auto start battery at random it would likely be just fine. What does the truck have for a charging system? This is just as important, is it a stock 30 amp generator, or has it been converted to alternator? Most people don't want to mess with generator regulators and/or have lots of modern accessories that a generator won't support.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
The old girl is as stock as you can get. The generator and regulator appear original.

Nothing will be added to the vehicle that wasn't already on the truck. No radio or anything. I want it old-school.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Well that's admirable, but there are reasons modern trucks have alternators and disc brakes, fuel injection, electronic ignition, power steering, etc. If you want old school, you better bone up on some old school readin' material.

The Ford Truck Shop Manual for your year truck is a good start, and a 1950s vintage Chilton's or Motors general auto repair manual.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Well that's admirable, but there are reasons modern trucks have alternators and disc brakes, fuel injection, electronic ignition, power steering, etc. If you want old school, you better bone up on some old school readin' material.

The Ford Truck Shop Manual for your year truck is a good start, and a 1950s vintage Chilton's or Motors general auto repair manual.
Reading material won't trump the hundreds of hours of time I have invested behind the wheel of original 40s-50s vehicles.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Well, the title says yer a noob... So, what else is anyone to think? I'd still get a manual for the truck. I use mine all the time. You'd be surprised how often experienced people do things completely wrong. Myself included.

Quick Reply: Newb needs help - 1956 F500 what battery?