Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Can I swap a manual HVAC for climate control

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I swap a manual HVAC for climate control

I was just wondering is the climate control self contained so it can be directly swapped for manual HVAC controls? I have a XLT and would like to upgrade the HVAC and radio system if possible if they are direct swaps.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:44 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
What year is your Explorer? I can check the manual specific to your model year, but I suspect there would be a lot more involved than just swapping the control heads for the climate control. In the past at least, the manual system used vacuum control for most of the control doors, the heater control valve, and so on. The electronic climate control used electric servos in place of at least some of the vacuum controls. Also, the electronic system uses a solid state fan motor controller in place of the blower motor resistor. The wiring was different and I think the mounting/footprint is as well. In at least some of the newer models, the electronic system is a dual zone (driver and passenger controlled independently) system while the manual controls were a single zone. This can involve multiple heater cores and different plumbing behind the dash. Plus you'd need to route in cabin temperature sensors for the electronic system that do not exist for the manual system.

As for the audio system, the challenges there will depend on how many levels of audio system you're planning to skip. If you currently have the base system and you plan to go with an "audiophile" navigation sytem, the wiring will be different, there will be additional amplifiers you'd need to add, you'd need to install the rear subwoofer which will probably require a new interior trim panel, you'd need to install the GPS antenna, upgrade the speakers, and so on.

-Rod

Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info Rod. This Explorer is a 2006.

Originally Posted by shorod
What year is your Explorer? I can check the manual specific to your model year, but I suspect there would be a lot more involved than just swapping the control heads for the climate control. In the past at least, the manual system used vacuum control for most of the control doors, the heater control valve, and so on. The electronic climate control used electric servos in place of at least some of the vacuum controls. Also, the electronic system uses a solid state fan motor controller in place of the blower motor resistor. The wiring was different and I think the mounting/footprint is as well. In at least some of the newer models, the electronic system is a dual zone (driver and passenger controlled independently) system while the manual controls were a single zone. This can involve multiple heater cores and different plumbing behind the dash. Plus you'd need to route in cabin temperature sensors for the electronic system that do not exist for the manual system.

As for the audio system, the challenges there will depend on how many levels of audio system you're planning to skip. If you currently have the base system and you plan to go with an "audiophile" navigation sytem, the wiring will be different, there will be additional amplifiers you'd need to add, you'd need to install the rear subwoofer which will probably require a new interior trim panel, you'd need to install the GPS antenna, upgrade the speakers, and so on.

-Rod

Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks like in 2006 the manual controls were still a single zone while the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) was a 3-zone system (driver, passenger, and rear). There are separate driver and passenger blend doors and associated electronic servos, the blower motor speed controller is electronic, a sunload sensor needs to be wired and installed on the top of the dash, etc. It would probably be less expensive to trade in your Explorer on one with the EATC already installed.

-Rod