Sponsored by:

Electronic Climate Control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:00 AM
mark996
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electronic Climate Control?

Is it possible to put in an electronic climate control in an Ex that has manual? I've search around a bit here, googled around as well with no luck. Wondered if anyone had done this? If it's even possible, how much work is involved in this? Is it even worth the investment?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mark996
Is it possible to put in an electronic climate control in an Ex that has manual? I've search around a bit here, googled around as well with no luck. Wondered if anyone had done this? If it's even possible, how much work is involved in this? Is it even worth the investment?
I have considered doing the same on my '98 Expedition and on my wife's '98 Explorer, It don't look too hard but once you get into it, who knows? The Climate control system is basically for the front with seperate controls for the rear, at least that's how it is in my Navigator. The job may require the replacement of the complete HVAC unit under the dashboard and possibly more. I have been waiting for someone else to try it and then I would decide if it's worth the effort.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would not be an easy swap. Having torn apart 2 Excursions, I have seen both systems and they are quite different. I would say it's borderline impossible... Ford is notorius for only putting the wires in their harness for the options installed. IE: if there was not EATC on your EX, there would be no wiring in the dash for it. Ther are 2 or theree big connectors that plug into the back of the EATC unit. I guarantee they are not under the dash on trucks with standard cointrols... and good luck trying to wire them in manually. Probably about 30~40 wires.

However, there was a member on here a while back who was trying to make this swap. He swore it could be done and had started the project. I don't believe we've heard from him in a while. Not sure if it ever worked out.

Good luck

Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 AM
TexasEx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have the manual climate control system and have purchased the electronic climate control system from eBay. It is possible because anything is possible. Electronic systems in automobiles are rather simple because a turn of a **** here or a push of a button there only sends pulses of either positive electronic signals or negative electronic signals. There isn't any data transmission until you get to a 2003 Ex. There is no magic to automotive electronics. In the cases where there are data transmissions in late model Exursions just purchase the appropriate control module and plug it in.....there isn't any programming (ie; seat control module).

I still need to purchase the automatic sensor for my system. I've been pretty lazy lately to do anything towards my conversion but I'll get back into it soon.

I already changed the 2000 standard steering wheel into the latest steering wheel with all of the controls (see profile pic albums). I have also added the OEM reverse sensing system to my 2000 Ex.

What makes re-wiring and conversions easy is that I purchased a 2000 electrical manual and a 2005 electrical manual so I can see where the wire routings were originally and where they have changed.

So...don't be scared to cut and splice a few wires. But if you do....don't blame anyone including myself if something goes wrong. Be smart. Be certain of what you are doing and confident it will work before trying anything. And don't be "put-off" by anyone telling you that you can't do it...that is really what seperates the men....from the boys.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

TexasEX! Thanks for replying. It was you I was referring to, I couldn't remember who was tackling this project.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 AM
TexasEx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah....you guys have got me to tinkering again with this thread topic. I'm going to revisit my electrical books today and order what I need.

Stay tuned in the few weeks. I'll crack this nut for everyone.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:20 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I'd be curious to know too as that is the one thing I miss from my previous car. It's a nice luxury in freezing temps. I have an '04 XLT so is that going to be more plug and play ya think?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jasonodsky
I'd be curious to know too as that is the one thing I miss from my previous car. It's a nice luxury in freezing temps. I have an '04 XLT so is that going to be more plug and play ya think?

I doubt that it will even be close to a plug-n-play installation, It will probably be fairly expensive and labor intensive to get the same results and appearance of an original installation. It may be worth the effort, but, it all depends on how much you value the climate control system over the manual system already in your truck. I would rather just reach over and adjust the manual system when needed. I appreciate the nicer systems but I remember when cars and trucks didn't have heat or a/c as standard equipment and a/c wasn't even an option.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
if i could just get my center **** from falling off on my 2000 ex for the heat temp i would be tickled pink!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
It sure don't take much to make you happy!
If you were close you could stop by and I'd give you one.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 AM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Originally Posted by b-uno
if i could just get my center **** from falling off on my 2000 ex for the heat temp i would be tickled pink!
I have an extra manual control unit I would sell cheap! All ***** intact.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:25 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My experiences with the Automatic climate controls has been bad. It seems as though there is a defect by the manufacturer of the control unit (where u push the buttons to adjust). ABout every 2-3 years, that unit goes bad at a cost of $550 for the part. According to the dealer, it is a widespread problem. When it goes bad, it mimics a vacuum leak and starts randomly changing to defrost from whereever u have it set.

Its great when it works but gets expensive over time.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:17 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i have it in my '96 explorer and never had an issue with it(same basic unit)

i did it the easy way. i just bought a newer limited with it haha

Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 AM
mark996
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After looking in to this, I'm not even going to flirt with the idea any longer. The manual controls work just dandy for me, was just more of a thought than anything.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Good thinking, in my opinion.