Sponsored by:

H.(Hodgepodge)I.D. install

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
H.(Hodgepodge)I.D. install

So I had some extra ballast hanging out I never got a chance to use and thought since I needed to take the front end off to tweak everything and put in my fog lights (that I bought over a year ago and never installed). For some reason I can't seem to get anything to work but haven't been able to really do anything other than plug stuff in and flip the switch. It's been raining the last few days so I haven't been able to work on it for more than a few minutes at a time. This is what I've got thus far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400798924712?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=670351390740&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321145518686?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
And of course the ballast. Nothing lights up, nothing makes noise, and no ladies are flocking to me saying my headlight are dope and I'm "supa fly".

Old 12-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Not to sure on what to do with those 2 loose red and black wires though...

EDIT: I just went and looked and it looks like the ballast are 35w and my bulbs are 55w so I guess that's the issue. I'll be ordering a set of ballast now

Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S2M-HID-Xenon-AC-Digital-Slim-Profile-55W-Latest-Generation-Replacement-Ballasts-/390991896564?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item5b08eedff4

Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you asked about the extra wires.....

I am guessing at this....so do not take it for anything until someone agrees or tells me I am a dumb a$$!

The 2 wires look like piggy back wires. You know to supply power to something else while still plugged in. Could those be the power wires for the ballast?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should use a relay harness. Don't try and run HIDs off the stock light wires.

Chances are those bulbs aren't really 55w and even if they are you'll be fine running them on a 35w ballast.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Technologiq
You should use a relay harness. Don't try and run HIDs off the stock light wires.

Chances are those bulbs aren't really 55w and even if they are you'll be fine running them on a 35w ballast.
Well I have a harness I'm not using, but I wasn't able to get anything to light up with that either. That was the whole reason I swapped to the new connectors, well that and a cleaner install. I can (and love to) soldier and heat shrink wires and make harnesses but have never done things with relays. Everything I've done was building motor swap harnesses for Hondas and Nissans, basically cake work. I pulled every wire in my Datsun 620 and redid the whole truck from motor to tail lights in a weekend. But relays I have no idea how they work. That whole 4 pole thing has me lost. Always has for some reason. I already ordered the new ballast because under $10 might as well rule that out as an issue but how do you recommend I wire it up exactly? Seriously, if there is a reason not to run it off the stock harness and make my own then help me out a little with the relay thing and how I should tap into the headlight switch and not cut up my stock harness and I'm game

Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 PM
David - WI
Senior User
Mine came with Hi/Low HID's... and they suck!

First, they aren't legal in the stock housing; so that's just an excuse to get pulled over late at night when jonny law is trolling for drunk drivers. I don't need the hassle.

Second, they throw less "useful" light than the stock bulbs... even though they appear brighter to oncoming cars, they light up less of the road.

Third, nobody around here carries bulbs for them.

Fourth, the "hi beam" barely lights up any more road than the low beam... the light shines a little bit higher but not any further or brighter.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:41 PM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
From what I can remember, there is one plug that is not used.

Originally Posted by David - WI

First, they aren't legal in the stock housing; so that's just an excuse to get pulled over late at night when jonny law is trolling for drunk drivers. I don't need the hassle.

Second, they throw less "useful" light than the stock bulbs... even though they appear brighter to oncoming cars, they light up less of the road.

Fourth, the "hi beam" barely lights up any more road than the low beam... the light shines a little bit higher but not any further or brighter.
Yes, yes, yes.

And to the 4th point: the "high" doesn't do much because the light was already all over the place to begin with.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:13 AM
David - WI
Senior User
I just ripped out the HID's and all the stock wiring/plugs were intact; so all I really needed was 2 halogen bulbs... but I replaced the old housings and one old connector.

If anybody wants the old HID setup (before it goes in the dumpster) just send me your address. It worked, probably going to want new bulbs... one is blue-ish and one is more yellow-ish (somebody replaced one). (But they SUCK and go off occasionally when you're driving down the road... normally they re-strike if you turn the lights off and back on right away; but they're not for me.)

Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
If somebody takes his setup I'll throw in 2 sets of brand new bulbs to make it a complete set. I didn't use anything of mine and ditched the project.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Technologiq

I whole heartedly agree with this one. USE A RELAY !
Found out the hard way when I installed HID without relay in a car. The initial burst needed to ignite the HID's would throw check engine/transmission lights on my car. It can really mess things up.

My guess is the red wires need to be fed by a relay.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:25 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru

You got a crappy kit. I have been very pleased with my set. Not the one posted. There are good ones and bad ones out there.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:26 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
I just ripped out the HID's and all the stock wiring/plugs were intact; so all I really needed was 2 halogen bulbs... but I replaced the old housings and one old connector.

If anybody wants the old HID setup (before it goes in the dumpster) just send me your address. It worked, probably going to want new bulbs... one is blue-ish and one is more yellow-ish (somebody replaced one). (But they SUCK and go off occasionally when you're driving down the road... normally they re-strike if you turn the lights off and back on right away; but they're not for me.)
That's typical for worn out HID bulbs.
They quit after a while, depending on temperatures it can be anywhere between 30 seconds and never.
They also don't output anymore what they did. I've seen this happen on a factory HID system. New bulbs and all was good again.