New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

Ford 4X4 Guy, again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Dialed-In
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 4X4 Guy, again...

Hey all, well it's been a long time since I've called myself a Ford man. Although that sweet Ford V8 sound had always been calling on me, just took a little longer to answer this time. I've been lurking around on here for a few weeks and since I just became a Ford Man again (by way of my new-to-me F-150) I thought I'd better become an actual member.
So hello all, it's good to be listening to the sweet sound of a Ford V8 again.

In the past I've owned a 79 F-150 Reg. Cab S/B 4x4 351M, 4Spd. a 89 F-150 Reg. Cab S/B 4x4 5.0L, 5Spd. and a 74 Bronco that was a street legal wheel to wheel off-road racer. Then I some how became seduced over to the dark side, that's right Jeeps.

However that evil Jeep spell has finally been broken and it will only be a matter of time before my new to me 96 F-150 Reg. Cab S/B 4x4 5.0L, 5Spd. is set-up and wheeling ready to kick some Jeep behind. I plan on wheeling it through lots of deep, deep snow and some rocky trails too.
So stay tuned it's gonna be one hell of a ride as I attempt to put those pesky little Jeeps in there place with some 'Power by Ford'.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site. I've owned quite a few Fords in my day too 83 T-Bird (first car), 86 Lincoln, 89 Bronco, 92 Mustang(still have) along with 2 Grand Cherokees. One's a ZJ with 4" of lift Rubicon Express

I'm down to only 4 vehicles right now, I'm not sure what happens they keep following me home...lol

Got my eyes peeled for a TJ..lol

Old 12-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Dialed-In
Freshman User
Hey 1ATony I know what you mean about vehicles following you home the last time I owned a Ford 4x4 I actually had three of them at once. Just a few years ago I was up to #4 Jeeps at once (92 YJ, 92 XJ, 97 TJ & 05 LJ), but now I just have the LJ left to sell.
If you're looking to buy a TJ try and find one with the factory rear Dana 44 because the Dana 35 is an unreliable rear-end when mixed with larger tires and rugged back country trails.

Cheers D

Old 12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Welcome from a fellow BC'er. Where abouts do you hang out?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Dialed-In
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Zip
Welcome from a fellow BC'er. Where abouts do you hang out?
Not far from you Zip, just a little to the east in Penticton B.C. Do you have a 4x4 Ford or a 2WD? If it's a 4x4 we have a lot of great trails that are fun to run just like Whipsaw is in your area.

Cheers D

Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Yep that's fairly close. All my stuff is 4x4. 79 Bronco, 75 F100 and of course the white beast 03 F350.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Dialed-In
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Zip
Yep that's fairly close. All my stuff is 4x4. 79 Bronco, 75 F100 and of course the white beast 03 F350.
That's great Zip, you've corralled a nice stock of Fords for yourself. Perhaps we could get together and go wheeling once my ride is trail ready (hopefully by Jan.1st) either in your neck of the woods or mine.
I will be out your way in the spring as my local 4x4 club is the caretakers of the Loadstone Lake campsite (off of the Whipsaw Trail) and we have a planned clean-up and painting party set to re-new that site once all the snow melts in late spring/early summer.

I'll get in touch with you in the New Year, once my ride is ready to play.

Cheers & Merry Christmas D.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
The only one that is mobile at the moment is my 03. I don't think I would take that anywhere as it is the 5th wheel puller. My Bronco is broken at the moment. A stupid small thing that is a pain to fix. My 75 is stored down at the wreckers. That would probably be my best choice to do something with.

Have not done any off road stuff for years. We just got a couple sleds so that will hopefully keep us busy over the winter.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Dialed-In
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Zip
The only one that is mobile at the moment is my 03. I don't think I would take that anywhere as it is the 5th wheel puller. My Bronco is broken at the moment. A stupid small thing that is a pain to fix. My 75 is stored down at the wreckers. That would probably be my best choice to do something with.

Have not done any off road stuff for years. We just got a couple sleds so that will hopefully keep us busy over the winter.
Yes probably not a good idea to take the big rig wheeling as my little short box probably wouldn't be enough to pull it out if it were to get stuck LOL. With respect to your Bronco, it's funny how it's the little things that give us the biggest troubles when it comes to keeping our rides running well.
The sleds must be awesome in your area, with all those remote mountains to play in and with excellent powder too.

My 4x4 buddies and I are sometimes looked at as crazy people for trying to use out 4x4's as snow machines. However it is quite amazing where you can take a properly set-up 4x4; by keeping the weight down and running really large tires at very low pressures (that's the secret to success) a 4x4 Truck/SUV can travel on top of several metres of powder w/o getting stuck.

Well I hope you get the Bronco sorted out w/o to much grief and if you ever want to get out and play with any of your 4x4 toys you know who to contact.

Cheers D