1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F-3 Rat Rod Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:49 PM
KelownaPhil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1948 F-3 Rat Rod Project

I'm new here...
My friend, Randy, and I recently acquired a 1948 F-3 that had been sitting for many years with the intention of turning it into a "Rat" rod. This is going to be a budget project (as much as possible).
We are well underway at this point... We stripped the truck down to the frame, which is in remarkably good condition. The bodywork is also in pretty fair shape, with just some minor rust areas where the metal was double-layered for additional strength.
We also acquired a 2008 Crown Vic. We intend to use the front suspension and engine/transmission in the 'rod'. The rear suspension will be the IRS from a mid-90's Lincoln.
When I figure out how to do it, I'll post some photos of the work in progress.
Also, we'll have an inventory of mechanical parts from the F-3 that will be available if anyone needs anything.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 774 Likes on 381 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Posting pictures is easy. Just click on the mountain icon and either past a link in or drag and drop from your pc.

So, what do you mean by "Rat" rod. Around here we think of someone making an unsafe trash heap when rat rod is mentioned. Safety for the driver and other people on the road are of utmost importance to us here. We also like to see people drive the heck out of them.

Other than that we have all sorts of different styles and modifications.

I see you are from Canada, we have quite a few of our Northern brethren on here.

Now post those pics!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, "rat rod" tends to raise some hackles around here for some. I think it's because they have seen some really marginal, unsafe builds. Most that I've seen have been well done and really unique. You can always call it a "vintage" or "traditional" hot rod.

Anyway. welcome. Can't wait to see some pic's.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:19 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Neighbour, I'm about 250km south and east of you, just on the other side of the border from Christina Lake.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Phil,
Welcome Aboard! The easiest way to post pics is to join the site. It's $20/yr & that get's rid of most of the annoying pop-up advertisements & allows you to post pics directly from your hard drive. You get a little paper clip icon to click.

Good luck up there in Canada! Think hotrod or restomod Phil - sounds so much nicer than ratrod. Post pics when you get a chance.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (Hotrod/Restomod)

Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Think hotrod or restomod Phil - sounds so much nicer than ratrod. Post pics when you get a chance.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (Hotrod/Restomod)
I know what you're trying to say, but what ratrod means to me, (and what I think the word has evolved to mean,) is a patina-finished vehicle or one cobbled up with parts from multiple different vehicles. However, as I understand, it originated from people who wanted a hot rod but didn't have much cash, so they grabbed anything they had, or had to pay very little for, and welded and chopped until it, (kind of,) fit. This usually ended up in a very unsafe car, (think big block on stock model A chassis, steering, and brakes.) This then became popular with the people of slightly more sound mind who wanted that "ratty" look with better build quality and safety. I've seen some "rat-rods" with incredible craftsmanship and ingenuity, and some that scare me to think about being anywhere near while it's driving around.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:43 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the beginning of the Hot Rod era there were no "kits", no ready made aftermarket products to fit just about any combination of parts, and no "rules" other than their own rules. As long as a build is safe for the rest of the road I don't have a problem with what someone else wants to build - even if I might think it is ugly and a waste of good sheet metal

Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
And using an F3 rather than light model A frame is a good start too. Like a house with a good strong foundation.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
However, we should stop filling in the blanks for this fellow on what his plans are and let him tell us his plan. I'm really interested in what this build will entail.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:59 AM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello KelownaPhil,

Welcome aboard. I'm in Kamloops, and my truck bounces between Salmon Arm, and
Oliver, in the South Okanagan, depending on what I'm working on at the time......Nice to see another local.

Bruce

Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM
KelownaPhil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the truck as we received it after sitting in a field for several years.

Just a good wash improved the looks a lot!

This is the donor car, a 2008 Crown Vic. We'll be using the front suspension, engine, trans, and possibly a few other bits and pieces (fuel tank?).

Once we got the truck on the hoist and had a look at the frame we were very happy. It looks very solid! No signs of any damage at all!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Wow, that truck looks amazing for sitting in a field for years.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Very nice place to start!

I visited Kelowna many years ago on business. What an absolutely beautiful valley.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 774 Likes on 381 Posts
Nice looking start. Are you joing to do any body modifications or just put it back on as is.
Were those rims on the truck in the field or did you put those on to move it around?

Hey, now that you have posting pictures down, show us your current progress. We love pictures of parts

Quick Reply: 1948 F-3 Rat Rod Project