1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do BG transmission service ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Paul_inCT
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone do BG transmission service ?

I,m currently planning to change the fluids on my 2007 F350 CC V10 before winter. It has about 34000 miles on it and has done some plowing.
I started calling around looking for a dealer that does the heated tranny flush. So far no luck . The dealer closest to me (with a good rep) does offer a tranny service with BG additive. Is this worth while or just snake oil? Btw the non heated tranny service is $229.

Thanks
Paul

Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 AM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I believe my manual says to change the ext. filter every 30k. Being only 4k over the recommended interval I sure as heck would not pay 229. The ext filter is about $30 from ford and only takes a 22mm socket to change. There is a drain plug in the trans pan to drain out and replace the fluid but at that low of mileage I wouldn't pay for a flush. The majority of owners ( not members on here). Likely never change the filter let alone the fluid. IMO a flush this soon in the service life of the trans is not needed. But I understand being proactive as well.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is no way I'd use any type of chemical flush in one of my transmissions.

Changing the fluid at this time is a good idea, but I do not believe in using chemical cleaners. If you can't find a heated flush machine I recommend changing the external filter and changing the 8 or so quarts that will come out of the pan when you drain it. The internal filter never needs to be changed.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Just my opinion, but you should never put anything into the 5R110W transmission except for the Ford specified Mercon SP or LV fluid.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:51 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny reading some of the replys of what to and what not to put in our tranny's. I did the flush and bg additive at 30k and again at 60k. The first was a local shop and when I posted here what they added I got bad replys. At 60k I had it done at the local dealer and guess what they recommended adding? you got it! BG additive. They said you will never have a problem with the correct fluid and this additive and if you do BG will cover $2500 of your bill. So I am running BG additive since 30k and have 78k on her now and pull a trailer and plow snow.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:23 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Only do flushes with the right oil. Ford would have an additive if it was needed. Everyone is always trying to sell additives for everything because people fall for the hype and it is money in their pocket. It would probably be easier to throw dollars in the toilet than to add useless foreign fluids to a vehicle.
All the additives you will ever need are already in the proper formulation of oil for the specified transmissions.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Paul_inCT
Cross-Country
Thanks for the replies so far..
I was thinking that doing a filter change and fluid drain would be good enough. I just didn't want to skimp and run into "Pay me now or Pay me 3x later!"
I didn't price the part/oil yet! I wasn't too excited when they told $229 for something that isn't much harder than changing engine oil.
Being Proactive.......
When did you you think a flush is appropriate 60K

Old 11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Paul_inCT
Thanks for the replies so far..
I was thinking that doing a filter change and fluid drain would be good enough. I just didn't want to skimp and run into "Pay me now or Pay me 3x later!"
I didn't price the part/oil yet! I wasn't too excited when they told $229 for something that isn't much harder than changing engine oil.
Being Proactive.......
When did you you think a flush is appropriate 60K
What does the manual say?

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Paul_inCT
Cross-Country
Manual Says to "change fluid and external filter" every 30,000. Never mentions a flush at all.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

If you change the external filter and drain the pan every 30k you don't need to flush it.

And NEVER flush it unless it is a heated machine. If it isn't heated it won't flush, but it will waste all your new fluid.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Paul_inCT
Cross-Country
Good to know ...Thanks everyone for replying. This board is awesome

Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by redford
Just my opinion, but you should never put anything into the 5R110W transmission except for the Ford specified Mercon SP or LV fluid.
What if Ford recommends BG additive? The 2 dealers I have been to both carry it and recommend it. When transmission service is done on schedule it comes with a warranty. Pretty darn good if you ask me, a company that stands behind their product.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Ford doesn't recommend BG flushes. You are confusing independent businesses, namely the dealers, with Ford Motor Company.

No dealer is owned by Ford and they pretty much can do what they want. If they invested a bunch of money in a BG machine, of course they are going to recommend it. But that doesn't mean Ford recommends it.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Ford doesn't recommend BG flushes. You are confusing independent businesses, namely the dealers, with Ford Motor Company.

No dealer is owned by Ford and they pretty much can do what they want. If they invested a bunch of money in a BG machine, of course they are going to recommend it. But that doesn't mean Ford recommends it.
I didn't think so and I don't know of any additives they make other than maybe for the limited slip rear end which is for a special type rear end. BG will fade away, then someone with more hype will emerge like; trans-eze, H&H, Gary Graber, shift-o-magic, trans man, l&k oil, trans medic, ultimate oil, Ben's no-slip, band man, clutch stuff, etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:09 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky

Does'nt mean they don't. Who knows for sure? Why do so many dealers carry the product? Another thread about this product stated most of the dealers in Mass use it.

Do we all do exactly what "ford" recommends?

I'd rather take my chances with a flush and use 1 quart of BG additive mixed into 17gts of fluid that comes with a warranty then change 1/2 of my fluid and filter and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Anyone do BG transmission service ?