6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Failed CA smog

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 PM
SuperDutyDoug
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed CA smog

Hello all,

In addition to narrowing down my possible headgasket issue, I received a notice that it is time to renew my registration here in CA. I had the truck smog certified two years ago with no problem, and two years before that as well.

Here in CA you might be interested to know how they do this check. The first thing is a smoke check. The tester hops in the truck and wings the throttle a couple of times and looks in the rearview mirror. To pass, he must see very little or no smoke. Next he checks under the hood for modifications. Anything he finds must have a CARB certification. There is no tailpipe test; gas vehicles get an actual tailpipe gas analysis.

It has been two years since I've done this, so I took the truck down to a local smog check outfit that came well recommended on the web. I was shocked that the guy told me he could not issue a smog certificate for several reasons. The first thing he came up with was the sticker on the passenger side valve cover. This is a sticker installed by International stating that the engine is certified for use in vehicles over 14,000 lbs in other states, blah, blah. I told him the engine had been in the truck since it left the factory in 2003, but he told me he could not certify it. He also pointed to the two unused connectors in the wiring harness near the EGR valve - these have never been connected to anything. More on this in a minute.

So I left this station and went to the place I had used two years ago. This guy did not worry about the engine sticker, but pointed to the same two connectors. I told him they had always been unused, but he indicated I needed to return with a Ford wiring diagram showing this. He also did not like the Sinister Diesel coolant filter setup, even after I explained it was only a coolant filter. His comment was that the CARB inspectors don't want to see a single extra hose under the hood, and that he could not certify me either.

So I went home and removed the coolant filter setup. I had already flushed my cooling system and installed the Bulletproof external oil cooler + new EGR cooler + CAT rated coolant, so the filter is probably something I don't need anymore. Next I opened my Ford service manual on disc. Luckily I found explicit wiring diagrams and connector views that state the two connectors were not used. These connectors would have plugged into the throttle body plate under the intake elbow, but there never was a throttle body plate installed on the truck. My truck was built before these were used. so the connectors just hang there.

So I will take the truck back this week and should, with documents in hand, be able to get my smog signed off. If anybody else finds they have this same situation, BTW, I am happy to email you these pdf files if you need them.

The upshot is that, at least in CA, you have got to be really careful about anything you change. I am glad I went with a stock replacement turbo and did not enlarge my downpipe this spring, because if those are detected, you are not going to change them out so easily. And even if you are technically "in the right", like I was with the unused connectors, they can stop you in your tracks if they are not fully informed about what is legal.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I tried to register a Polaris Sportsman ATV I had bought out of state. It was entirely stock, but I had to go to two separate DMV inspection locations to get it certified for registration. There again I was subject to inspectors who were not properly informed about the facts. They were looking for stickers and engine numbers that did not exist on this ATVs, but only on motorcycles. I was almost left with an 800 lb paperweight, but I finally got it registered.

Note that I will be selling my nearly new coolant filter setup, because I don't need it. Look for it in the marketplace if you are interested.

Hope this information is useful to some of you in the wacky land of Kalifornia.

Doug

Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dealing with idiots...
Puting makeup on pigs.....
Both have the same results.
I just did mine for the year, $14.00 and my tail lights all work. Just paid for my tags too iirc that was $58.00.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No wonder CA is broke

Old 10-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Just pased emissions here in WA too, but for $15 the truck got a rectal exam with a couple of 2 second skinny peddle to the floor runs. Seems like a bad idea to me, and if they brake it, I'm sure they don't fix it.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW all I can say , the guy I took my truck too never said anything about the external coolant filter he asked Questions about it and was very Interested about how it works , he did seem to look at my scan gauge hooked into the OBD port and asked ( is it a Tune ) I said no I like to Monitor the heat and other sensor Values Never said it pulls codes and deletes them, Cali is looking for More way's to screw the Consumer if you don't believe me in a month or so we will be paying triple for diesel

Old 10-12-2014, 02:14 PM
SuperDutyDoug
Freshman User
I wonder if my experience has anything to do with the fact I am in the south bay area (San Jose). I forgot to mention the first guy who checked the truck was even grumbling about the auxiliary idle controller in the cab. It has a big Ford logo on it, but obviously he had no clue what it was.

I got the feeling that the CARB inspectors prowl around looking to catch smog inspectors who miss anything. The smog check outfits seemed spooked - they would probably prefer to let you pass and take your money if you think about it.

Doug

Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It use to take longer to pull into the Bay than the Inspection

Old 10-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Well I just straight piped my 2012 6.7 and got custom SCT tunes. After I sell my old DPF I think I will be ahead moneywise. I think your biggest problem is where you live. California is a good place to visit. But I couldn't imagine trying to live there.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:02 PM
pnj442
Senior User
When getting a smog check in CA, I had to prove to the smogger that my Edge Insight was a monitor and not a tuner. I had to download and print the manual for the unit to show him. Also had to replace the EGR cooler as it was deleted in another state.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyDoug
I wonder if my experience has anything to do with the fact I am in the south bay area (San Jose). I forgot to mention the first guy who checked the truck was even grumbling about the auxiliary idle controller in the cab. It has a big Ford logo on it, but obviously he had no clue what it was.

I got the feeling that the CARB inspectors prowl around looking to catch smog inspectors who miss anything. The smog check outfits seemed spooked - they would probably prefer to let you pass and take your money if you think about it.

Doug
What I marked in RED is the key to the whole issue.

Sean

Old 10-13-2014, 05:24 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
subscribing,,,,,,

Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had my 05 smogged at both an independant and a Ford dealer. No problems. The indy was curious about the coolant filter but just for his own knowledge.
Riverside, Ca.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 AM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
If the smog station put the responsibility on YOU to find out what the two unused FACTORY pigtails are for, DEMAND A REFUND AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE! Any smog shop/mechanic should have access to online service manuals (alldata, helm, mitchell, etc) so that THEY can look it up if need be. I consider it a lazy mechanic that raises a red flag and asks me questions about a FACTORY set up on my vehicle (smog or any work for that matter). Lazy merchants do not get the honor of my business. If the customer knows more about the vehicle than the tech, one should go elsewhere.

And why in Ca would anyone roll into a smog shop with their monitor still plugged in? I unhook mine from the OBDII port and just stuff the connector under the dash for an hour every 2 years for inspection. I also have my bypass coolant and oil filters permanently mounted underneath the truck on the frame rails with plain black hoses...they have never mentioned them (ez to change too). In Ca make it as easy as possible for the techs to pass you.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Well I just straight piped my 2012 6.7 and got custom SCT tunes. After I sell my old DPF I think I will be ahead moneywise. I think your biggest problem is where you live. California is a good place to visit. But I couldn't imagine trying to live there.
Well, rather than pipe up with something useful to say, you had to spout off some bs. I couldn't imagine living in the middle of nowhere myself lol.

OP, the trick is to keep going to the same folks you have been. Once they familiarize your face, you will usually be good to go. See my friend is a smog guy here in CA and they ALL and I mean ALL smog guys watch out for the undercovers. Sometimes they are very obvious other times you couldn't tell. That is who they are looking out for. I've been going to my smog guy (not my friend) for 10 years, he knows me well. We know each other because of fishing. Not saying you have to butter them up, but it helps that they remember who you are so they don't have to give too much of a crap about every little detail.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:05 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by loubell
If the smog station put the responsibility on YOU to find out what the two unused FACTORY pigtails are for, DEMAND A REFUND AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE! Any smog shop/mechanic should have access to online service manuals (alldata, helm, mitchell, etc) so that THEY can look it up if need be. I consider it a lazy mechanic that raises a red flag and asks me questions about a FACTORY set up on my vehicle (smog or any work for that matter). Lazy merchants do not get the honor of my business. If the customer knows more about the vehicle than the tech, one should go elsewhere.

And why in Ca would anyone roll into a smog shop with their monitor still plugged in? I unhook mine from the OBDII port and just stuff the connector under the dash for an hour every 2 years for inspection. I also have my bypass coolant and oil filters permanently mounted underneath the truck on the frame rails with plain black hoses...they have never mentioned them (ez to change too). In Ca make it as easy as possible for the techs to pass you.
I've never taken my ScanGauge out and have never had a problem once again at Ford or Indie. Take your vehicle to a shop with qualified and half way intelligent techs.

Quick Reply: Failed CA smog