1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

heater line insulation

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:57 PM
slekjr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater line insulation

Hi group. I just bought a 2005 E350 12 passenger van. It has new lines to the rear heater and A/C. My son is a Ford tech and we want to build a shield around the lines to protect them. I am wondering if anyone has used great stuff foam around the lines to insulate them first.(it's safe to 240 degrees) If you can keep the air from the lines you shouldn't have condensation problems, and if the lines are insulated I am thinking better heat to the rear. Any advise?
Thanks. I read lots, but I think this may be my first request for help.
Charlie

Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
anything you do ...or try to do...will cause rust....If you REALLY want to do it, then use the foam plumbing type covers ( usually 4 ' lengths @ Homo Depot ....Use plastic ties to secure them and that's it ....I live in a Rust Scene...it is not even salt now it is green slime.....
https://www.krown.com/

Old 09-25-2014, 06:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by blageurt
anything you do ...or try to do...will cause rust....If you REALLY want to do it, then use the foam plumbing type covers ( usually 4 ' lengths @ Homo Depot ....Use plastic ties to secure them and that's it ....I live in a Rust Scene...it is not even salt now it is green slime.....
https://www.krown.com/
^^Yep, this is the way to go!

There is a slightly better product more widely known to the HVAC industry as Armaflex which I've used to wrap my own fabricated rear heater only liquid lines. Here's a link: Armacell: Products This stuff isn't cheap, can be a bit tough to find locally without a bit of searching. Typically any good professional HVAC supply outlet would have it or a truly suitable substitute.

The cheaper stuff at HD or Lowe's is very much up to the job, decent value for its cost and readily available. I recall once buying the 4' lengths for $0.25 each. In fact I still have some of it laying around for various uses, almost none of them related to insulating pipes or tubes.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the lines metal? If so I would not use "foam in a spray can" to insulate them. This "stuff" absorbs water and any metal that is in contact with it will rust. Ask me how I know?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbbski
Are the lines metal? If so I would not use "foam in a spray can" to insulate them. This "stuff" absorbs water and any metal that is in contact with it will rust. Ask me how I know?
Too many have tried using household products on vehicles only to discover sooner or later they're completely NOT compatible. In environments where rusting isn't an issue the spray expanding foam is probably the best solution to sealing and insulating for heat loss/gain. For our vehicles its the beginning of a quick end to things it touches.