1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Uh... just call? One by one? I think the subject starter was shooting for sharing (see if you can say that sans spit). There were a number of people that tried to solicit a fund to help me buy an Infinity, just so I could share all the how-tos here - not on the phone, PMs, or email. I have done screen shots here for stuff like this on AE, and Torque has a whole forum dedicated to operating the App.

Example: Many would like to know how to put the "Starting" PIDs on a screen, and save that for when they have a hard/no-start issue. Let's see... you need ICP, IPR, Battery volts, GP command (I think), RPMs, and Fuel Injector Pulse Width.

Keeping it simpler, the basic BARO, MAP, and EBP trio for the KOEO check would be a huge help to many 7.3L owners.

That might be all you need. Once the reader gets the idea, rock on!

The example you posted wanting to know about is apart of the how to videos Jody put together. Adding or changing anything you want it do, you can. If you can create a formula you can add anything you want to monitor. The Infinity is completely open source in that aspects.

For EX: we have a customer who needed to monitor air bag pressure. He got a pressure sensor and we helped him with the formula so could know the pressures.

Let's keep this rolling!

Thanks y'all.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Diesel 724
As far as asking about what PIDs the 7.3 users use is when you goto select one there is around 200, well half of them display blank results or are irrelevent to my specific truck. It was merely asking suggestions on whats important to monitor and ranges they should be in. Stuff like that.

Remember some of us are new to the diagnostics aspects of vehicles while others could write a book and troubleshoot anything.

Im looking to learn the basics and start in the beginning, and asking people with the same device, software, and vehicle as me.
Jody has preconfigured the most important PIDS on the all digital 12 PID screen. These are based on what he monitors during live tuning. They are the most important to watch.

However, you want to monitor something else you can change it simply by tapping on the PID to make the change.

One thing I love about the Infinity is you can set PID alarms and have it play "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins if you want.

~Diane

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hows the accuracy compared to a manual gauge? Just curious? Because ive seen numbers from that PID that dont seem logical..

Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Hows the accuracy compared to a manual gauge? Just curious? Because ive seen numbers from that PID that dont seem logical..
Which PID?

Old 09-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If you are seeing illogical PID readings, you may have just stumbled onto the first real reason for having a powerful tool like Infinity.

UNLESS - you're one of those that tries to look at Engine Coolant Temperature. The wire to the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor on a manual truck is "diverted" to the Transmission Fluid Temperature sensor on an automatic truck. A person with an automatic and both gauges up might say "But Tugly, the TFT doesn't match the ECT, how can this B?"

The PCM on a manual truck looks at that wire and applies the formula for ECT. The PCM on an automatic truck looks at that wire and applies the formula for TFT. So... everybody with an automatic that tries to look at the Engine Coolant Temperature is in for a shock when they see the readings.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
I was refering to MGP PID and manual boost gauge. Ive seen it go negative when we dont make vacuum, and with a stock turbo and stock almost everything ive also had it max out at 58-60 before too. Which was only once, normally with a max of 26-30.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I was refering to MGP PID and manual boost gauge. Ive seen it go negative when we dont make vacuum, and with a stock turbo and stock almost everything ive also had it max out at 58-60 before too. Which was only once, normally with a max of 26-30.
Ah yes. This happens on all scan tools.

Never have seen this on a 7.3l and you would not want it on the stock turbo. We have only seen this on our 6.0l when the vains on the turbo stuck open.

We've compared the Infinity to Auto-meter gauges and the Ford IDS, they are dead on with each other.

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Distilling your first post down to the pressing questions at the end, the number and types of PID's that can or should be monitored does not depend on the scan tool used to monitor them, provided that the scan tool is capable. Therefore, that question is not really Infinity dependent... so if you are still wondering about what PID's people pick, then maybe start a new thread (or change thread title) to ask just that question.

People who don't have, and don't plan to get an Infinity, might not click on this thread, but might have a lot of input to offer. As you may know, many people have elected to go with the Torque App ($5) and a Bluetooth dongle ($20) and use an old Android phone or tablet to monitor the PIDs important to them, for less than the cost to ship an Infinity.

On the other hand, the Infinity is the same device that is also known as DashDaqXL, marketed by Drew Technologies, and is also known as N-Dash, as developed by e-Motion Products, LLC. If I had an Infinity, and was looking for a more responsive community of similarly situated users of the device, I would expand my search to include those other devices, even if the users happen to own other makes and models of vehicles.

The device software itself, written in Linux as I understand, is so overwhelmingly customizable that it really does take some additional understanding to dig into the interface. That knowledge is not vehicle specific... it is more of a foray into the geekdom of computerspeak. You might find more insight into the device from technophiles tweaking their Toyotas with it.

As for the value added overlay that Jody has supplemented the DashDaqXL with, that will obviously be something to seek from various diesel forums... but customizing your screen displays to present PID data is not. EXCEPT... for accessing the overlays that Justin at DPTuner created. He made one that looks like the green dash dials of the factory gauges, with red pointers. And I think I made another one since then.

I don't know if Justin is still at DPTuner. For a while, Pete (Duck Fan) took over his account on FTE. But he might have returned. If he was here, he would normally have weighed in on your thread by now. But maybe Diane will chime in.

Just a rambling bump for you.
This is mostly correct.

Our Infinity is made by e-motion. We are one of the companies they have partnered with to bring products to different markets. The Infinity is not the exact same unit as the n-dash. The new n-dash can't be bought direct. You have to buy from one of their partners. Each of us have labeled our own name to the product. n-Dash is just what they named it. Each partner has specifically designed software for their specific market and designed to each of our wants and desires. The only products currently available with DrewTech is diagnostic and emissions testing equipment.

Justin has always been here. His job duties are answering technical calls, placing orders, responding to emails. He is our right hand when we need him to help with testing. For a while now our day to day business hasn't allowed him or any of us to to be able to post frequently. There are other ways to reach him and then when you get your answer you can post it here.

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
I appreciate all the DIRECT help from DP Tuner, i know when selecting the Infinity i probably annoyed the crap out of Justin sending back and forth multiple emails asking all kinds of questions. It is nice to be able to hear directly from the people who designed the software thats outstanding customer service.

I didnt want to come directly to DP with 1000 little questions feeling like a bother and a PITA relentlessly asking tons of stupid questions. After seeing the AE threads where many have banned together into discussion and help thats what Tugly and I were going with here. That way anyone could openly ask and get answers and then it could be viewed by anyone possibly answering their questions and all around more resourceful then say, just a one on one private email.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

A small vacuum is OK (-1 or so). It happens, and it's real - under the right circumstances.

As for 58-60, are you sure you have that set to PSI? If so, try Manifold Absolute Pressure instead.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:47 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I appreciate all the DIRECT help from DP Tuner, i know when selecting the Infinity i probably annoyed the crap out of Justin sending back and forth multiple emails asking all kinds of questions. It is nice to be able to hear directly from the people who designed the software thats outstanding customer service.

I didnt want to come directly to DP with 1000 little questions feeling like a bother and a PITA relentlessly asking tons of stupid questions. After seeing the AE threads where many have banned together into discussion and help thats what Tugly and I were going with here. That way anyone could openly ask and get answers and then it could be viewed by anyone possibly answering their questions and all around more resourceful then say, just a one on one private email.
You ABSOLUTELY did not annoy us. Although we are not a large corp we do our very best to help everyone as we receive their questions. The time in which we do it may be a little slower then bigger corps who have people sitting at a switch board performing that one task all day. Yes, we can only help one person at a time. Because we can only help one person at a time with technical questions related to the Infinity I am thrilled you started this thread. Thank you very much!

I'll try my best to help with what I know. For all other questions it may take Justin a little longer to respond. I promise we are deserting you.

Always feel free to post email's in this thread of correspondences from questions you ask about the Infinity. You have my permission.

~Diane

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Rich said, fluctuating down to -1 is okay and normal. Remember that MGP is derived from MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) minus BARO (Barometric Pressure). Any slight fluctuation in those sensors will change the reading. And since we have a decimal place, the slightest of fluctuation at all will be shown.

26-30 is a normal max when having a tune loaded. 60 psi MGP (74.7 psi MAP) is out of range for the MAP sensor. I would look at the wiring going to the sensor to make sure all is well there.

No annoyance here. Happy to help with any information needed.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Well Justin and Diane and Jody.... now that you have all of our attention, thanks to Diesel724's thread initiative and Tugly's inspiration, perhaps you can take this opportunity to present the advantages of the Infinity over some other on board diagnostics data readers, like

• AeroForce Interceptor (single and dual screen versions)
  • ScanGuage II
  • Edge CTS
  • Torque Pro
  • Car Gauge Pro
  • N-Gauge (another eMotion product in round gauge form factor)
  • BullyDog (something or other, help me out with the name here)
  • AutoEnginuity

Let's say the goal is primarily for monitoring the PID's that Diesel724 is wondering about monitoring... the very same PID's that Tugly is monitoring with his $5 Android app.

There's a few readers here who run bone stock, and have no intentions to run a chip or tune. They just want to monitor what's going on, and would rather not have a sea of circles surrounding them like CSIPSD (Joe).

For these folks, a single touch screen device like the Infinity presents an attractive solution... using all the gauge data already built into the truck. The one hurdle is the cost. Were it not for the cost, Tugly wouldn't be running his $5 app. He'd have the Infinity that he ALMOST bought a year or two ago, and this thread would already be 40 pages long with his analysis.

So sell us on the Infinity. You have just now told us that the "partnering" companies have put the N-Dash and DashDaqXL availability on lock down. Those with 7.3L engines are better off getting the Infinity now, not only because of the possibility of adding a tune later, but because the thing is no longer sold as a generic monitor version anymore, and why would a 7.3L customer get one from a Honda tuner? Wouldn't make sense, especially with the demonstrated customer support that you folks provide. So the question isn't about the Infinity versus other identical hardware sold by different partners... the question is about the Infinity, as a monitoring device, versus the bullet list of choices presented above.

To get the ball rolling on this aspect of the Infinity discussion, the Infinity has the CEI-HUB. This allows the Infinity screen to present gauge data that is not available through the data link, including the all important EGT and Fuel Pressure. Try that with Torque App! One has to have a separate gauge.

HOWEVER, the Aeroforce Interceptor can accommodate external sending units, up to four with the dual version. So can the Edge CTS and the Bullydog something or other. Why is the Infinity a better choice, for mo money?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Well Justin and Diane and Jody.... now that you have all of our attention, thanks to Diesel724's thread initiative and Tugly's inspiration, perhaps you can take this opportunity to present the advantages of the Infinity over some other on board diagnostics data readers, like

• ScanGuage II
  • Edge CTS
  • Torque Pro
  • Car Gauge Pro
  • AutoEnginuity

Let's say the goal is primarily for monitoring the PID's that Diesel724 is wondering about monitoring... the very same PID's that Tugly is monitoring with his $5 Android app.

There's a few readers here who run bone stock, and have no intentions to run a chip or tune. They just want to monitor what's going on, and would rather not have a sea of circles surrounding them like CSIPSD (Joe).

For these folks, a single touch screen device like the Infinity presents an attractive solution... using all the gauge data already built into the truck. The one hurdle is the cost. Were it not for the cost, Tugly wouldn't be running his $5 app. He'd have the Infinity that he ALMOST bought a year or two ago, and this thread would already be 40 pages long with his analysis.

So sell us on the Infinity. You have just now told us that the "partnering" companies have put the N-Dash and DashDaqXL availability on lock down. Those with 7.3L engines are better off getting the Infinity now, not only because of the possibility of adding a tune later, but because the thing is no longer sold as a generic monitor version anymore, and why would a 7.3L customer get one from a Honda tuner? Wouldn't make sense, especially with the demonstrated customer support that you folks provide. So the question isn't about the Infinity versus other identical hardware sold by different partners... the question is about the Infinity, as a monitoring device, versus the bullet list of choices presented above.

To get the ball rolling on this aspect of the Infinity discussion, the Infinity has the CEI-HUB. This allows the Infinity screen to present gauge data that is not available through the data link, including the all important EGT and Fuel Pressure. Try that with Torque App! One has to have a separate gauge.

HOWEVER, the Aeroforce Interceptor can accommodate external sending units, up to four with the dual version. So can the Edge CTS and the Bullydog something or other. Why is the Infinity a better choice, for mo money?
I'll have Justin post the comparisons.

As for the direction this thread was going I feel this gets us way off course and deserves to be in a different discussion. I believe the OP started this thread to offer community help using the Infinity like the AE threads.

I'll post more once I get back from picking up my kids from school. Unless Justin beats me to it.

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

• ScanGuage II
  • Edge CTS
  • Torque Pro
  • Car Gauge Pro
  • AutoEnginuity

I agree with Diane that this is going to throw this thread way off, as it was not intended for comparison purposes. However, here are some features of the Infinity...

-Screen size (4.3")
-Number of pids (depends on vehicle: usually 200-350)
-Number of pids on the screen at one time and read
-Audible and visual notifications
-Open source screen layouts and alerts
-Datalog speed and start buffer (25-68 readings per second depending on what is being logged)(log starts 15-30 seconds before pushing button so nothing is missed)
-Removable memory card (included with purchase of Infinity)
-Datalogs can be viewed on Mac, Windows, Android, & Apple
-Custom tune support
-Email tune support for Mac etc
-Cei hub (8 additional sensors, dual EGT, and chip switching)
-Custom formulas (ex. E99 and OBS trans temp)
-Screen sleep to prevent boot up
-Auto dim/brightness
-Multiple mounting solutions
-Enhanced Ford and GM
-GM Volt
-Ford UDS
-Chrysler
-Generic OBD
-2 external analog inputs with serial cable
-Multiple vehicle profiles (7.3, 6.0, 6.7, EcoBoost)
-Metric support
-Custom startup screen
-Custom splash screen
-0-60 times
-Quarter and 1/8 mile
-Log setup for screen signals and global signals
-Check/clear codes
-KOER, buzz, glow plug, KOEO, cyl bal
-Log to CSV, Leitronix, LogWorks

As far as the other products you mentioned, I would not know all of their features since I have not used them, with the exception of the Edge CTS and the nGauge. So those are really the only ones I can give feedback on. The major differences I saw with the CTS vs. the Infinity are:

-CTS cannot datalog to an external memory card so the entire unit has to be removed from the truck.
-CTS logging rate is very slow.
-CTS only picks up less than 20 PID's on a 7.3L.
-No custom tuning on a CTS.
-No custom formulas on CTS.

I am sure there are many other major differences, but it has been about 3 years since I ran the CTS.

The nGauge is a product I currently test and use. It is still in beta as far as what we want done on it, so it cannot be compared yet. It does have some cool features similar to the Infinity, but it is not as powerful or in depth as the Infinity when it comes to PID availability and diagnostics. More features will likely be added as this thing becomes available.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com

Quick Reply: DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.