1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.

I see ALOT of threads regaurding the AE, with tons of people gathering to share data, offer help, discussion, and everything else. Well Im one of the guys who went with DP TUNERS INFINITY.

I wanted to start a thread that will hopefully stick around and gather everybody whos using an Infinity to come together.

I got one a year ago, never really used it much except to flash tunes onto my PCM. Well now im wanting to use it to its full potential.

I want everybody to feel free to join in on the discussion and ask any questions you have or offer any advice/knowledge you have.

My question personally right now is, It has many different themes and gauge screens to pick from and PIDS it can monitor.
-What are the best PIDS to select and what ranges do you set?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like this idea, although I don't have any info to help with I do see DP something (DP tuner, Infinity) in my glass ball future!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
I like my Infinity. Just want to learn more about it. Hoping some people with them or know anythingabout them will chime in!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribing.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Am i the only one on this forum with an Infinity? I thought for sure there would be a better turn out than this. People seem interrested but no one with has any insight?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Distilling your first post down to the pressing questions at the end, the number and types of PID's that can or should be monitored does not depend on the scan tool used to monitor them, provided that the scan tool is capable. Therefore, that question is not really Infinity dependent... so if you are still wondering about what PID's people pick, then maybe start a new thread (or change thread title) to ask just that question.

People who don't have, and don't plan to get an Infinity, might not click on this thread, but might have a lot of input to offer. As you may know, many people have elected to go with the Torque App ($5) and a Bluetooth dongle ($20) and use an old Android phone or tablet to monitor the PIDs important to them, for less than the cost to ship an Infinity.

On the other hand, the Infinity is the same device that is also known as DashDaqXL, marketed by Drew Technologies, and is also known as N-Dash, as developed by e-Motion Products, LLC. If I had an Infinity, and was looking for a more responsive community of similarly situated users of the device, I would expand my search to include those other devices, even if the users happen to own other makes and models of vehicles.

The device software itself, written in Linux as I understand, is so overwhelmingly customizable that it really does take some additional understanding to dig into the interface. That knowledge is not vehicle specific... it is more of a foray into the geekdom of computerspeak. You might find more insight into the device from technophiles tweaking their Toyotas with it.

As for the value added overlay that Jody has supplemented the DashDaqXL with, that will obviously be something to seek from various diesel forums... but customizing your screen displays to present PID data is not. EXCEPT... for accessing the overlays that Justin at DPTuner created. He made one that looks like the green dash dials of the factory gauges, with red pointers. And I think I made another one since then.

I don't know if Justin is still at DPTuner. For a while, Pete (Duck Fan) took over his account on FTE. But he might have returned. If he was here, he would normally have weighed in on your thread by now. But maybe Diane will chime in.

Just a rambling bump for you.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Contrarily... There are threads on AE, and there are threads on Torque. I think the Infinity thread is a good idea. I can contribute to the PID knowledge base (since I have seen the Infinity data), and others can contribute/learn how to set those PIDs up, how to log them, and how to play/extract them.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
After talking with Tugly we felt an Infinity thread would be nice where all the owners of them or knowledgible people could come together and open discussion. I have done many google searches merely to find the Infinity mentioned but no real in depth talk.

I also did have other questions not just that one, and didnt feel it appropriate to be bothering Justin or Jody for every little thing that others could help each other with like the AE threads have gone. Perhaps it sounded better on paper and no resources to back it up... not sure.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel 724
I see ALOT of threads regaurding the AE, with tons of people gathering to share data, offer help, discussion, and everything else. Well Im one of the guys who went with DP TUNERS INFINITY.

I wanted to start a thread that will hopefully stick around and gather everybody whos using an Infinity to come together.

I got one a year ago, never really used it much except to flash tunes onto my PCM. Well now im wanting to use it to its full potential.

I want everybody to feel free to join in on the discussion and ask any questions you have or offer any advice/knowledge you have.

My question personally right now is, It has many different themes and gauge screens to pick from and PIDS it can monitor.
Check out the Videos Jody did here

As far as the amount of PIDS available it will depend on the the ECM. Here is a list, but it will depend if you have a 1994.5-1997 or e99-2003. Jody has already Configured PIDS prior to you receiving to get you started. You can customize it as you want to add more.

With the new version Infinity you can set Profiles if you have more then one vehicle you want to use it on. Ex: We have a profile for our 7.3l, 6.0l, 6.7l and 3.5l Ecoboost. Although tuning is only available for 7.3l and 6.0l you can use it for diagnostics on any Ford OBDII model.

Add the CEI hub and you have enhanced your gauge monitoring by adding 4 additional temp sensors and 4 pressure sensors.

I'm sure Justin will chime in when he gets time. I'd watch the videos as they answer most of the other questions asked in other posts.

~Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Diane said, that is completely up to you. However, for convenience, Jody does setup the screen pre-configured with some of the most popular gauges.

I personally monitor:
ICP, IPRDC, TFT, EOT, GEAR, TCCDC, Boost, Battery Voltage, EGT, and Fuel Pressure (EGT and fuel pressure are additional PID's that the 7.3L PCM does not monitor. You must add inputs for them).

Originally Posted by scotttahoe
I like this idea, although I don't have any info to help with I do see DP something (DP tuner, Infinity) in my glass ball future!
Feel free to contact me should you have any questions. I would be happy to help you out.

Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Distilling your first post down to the pressing questions at the end, the number and types of PID's that can or should be monitored does not depend on the scan tool used to monitor them, provided that the scan tool is capable. Therefore, that question is not really Infinity dependent... so if you are still wondering about what PID's people pick, then maybe start a new thread (or change thread title) to ask just that question.

People who don't have, and don't plan to get an Infinity, might not click on this thread, but might have a lot of input to offer. As you may know, many people have elected to go with the Torque App ($5) and a Bluetooth dongle ($20) and use an old Android phone or tablet to monitor the PIDs important to them, for less than the cost to ship an Infinity.

On the other hand, the Infinity is the same device that is also known as DashDaqXL, marketed by Drew Technologies, and is also known as N-Dash, as developed by e-Motion Products, LLC. If I had an Infinity, and was looking for a more responsive community of similarly situated users of the device, I would expand my search to include those other devices, even if the users happen to own other makes and models of vehicles.

The device software itself, written in Linux as I understand, is so overwhelmingly customizable that it really does take some additional understanding to dig into the interface. That knowledge is not vehicle specific... it is more of a foray into the geekdom of computerspeak. You might find more insight into the device from technophiles tweaking their Toyotas with it.

As for the value added overlay that Jody has supplemented the DashDaqXL with, that will obviously be something to seek from various diesel forums... but customizing your screen displays to present PID data is not. EXCEPT... for accessing the overlays that Justin at DPTuner created. He made one that looks like the green dash dials of the factory gauges, with red pointers. And I think I made another one since then.

I don't know if Justin is still at DPTuner. For a while, Pete (Duck Fan) took over his account on FTE. But he might have returned. If he was here, he would normally have weighed in on your thread by now. But maybe Diane will chime in.

Just a rambling bump for you.
I'm still here . Just hard to get on the forums a lot when the phone is busy.

Yes, the theme editing can be done by anyone. However, it does take some time to learn the software and figure it out. I probably spent a good 20-30 hours on our Ford Factory Match theme. That is not including the time Jody spent touching it all up and editing it. It can be done quicker, but I am very picky about making everything match as close as possible, while keeping in mind the end-user and the functionality of the unit.

There is no "instruction manual" for the theme editing software. You really just have to open the bad boy up and try it for yourself. The more you test and use it, the more you will learn. That goes with anything involving these trucks.

For anyone who ever has any questions about the Infinity, don't hesitate to contact me by e-mail, PM, or phone. I'm always here for help and info.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Uh... just call? One by one? I think the subject starter was shooting for sharing (see if you can say that sans spit). There were a number of people that tried to solicit a fund to help me buy an Infinity, just so I could share all the how-tos here - not on the phone, PMs, or email. I have done screen shots here for stuff like this on AE, and Torque has a whole forum dedicated to operating the App.

Example: Many would like to know how to put the "Starting" PIDs on a screen, and save that for when they have a hard/no-start issue. Let's see... you need ICP, IPR, Battery volts, GP command (I think), RPMs, and Fuel Injector Pulse Width.

Keeping it simpler, the basic BARO, MAP, and EBP trio for the KOEO check would be a huge help to many 7.3L owners.

That might be all you need. Once the reader gets the idea, rock on!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Ok so how do i gauge boost? Can that be done, is there a PID or electronic set up for it, or do i have to tap in manually with my AIH delete mod and run a manual gauge? Or what? How?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
As far as asking about what PIDs the 7.3 users use is when you goto select one there is around 200, well half of them display blank results or are irrelevent to my specific truck. It was merely asking suggestions on whats important to monitor and ranges they should be in. Stuff like that.

Remember some of us are new to the diagnostics aspects of vehicles while others could write a book and troubleshoot anything.

Im looking to learn the basics and start in the beginning, and asking people with the same device, software, and vehicle as me.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
There are two PIDs for that one sensor on the OBDII port:

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) is the pressure on the sensor in relation to... er... the porch on the International Space Station. In Miami (sea level), when there is no hurricane, the pressure of the air we breath is 14.7 PSI - and our friends in Denver get shorted in the air department, with about 12.1 PSI. The MAP should show just that - the air pressure of your altitude, and so should the Exhaust Back Pressure, and so should BARO (a sensor in the PCM). If all three of these sensors (all on the OBDII port) agree with each other when the key is on and the engine is off (as in not running), your truck is happier for it.

Boost is the pressure your turbo generates above the atmospheric pressure. Boost is nothing more than the formula MAP minus BARO. Tadaaah.

I don't know if you can "bend" the way your PIDs display like I can in Torque (I know AE can't). Here's an example: There is NO PID for Exhaust Back Pressure above atmosphere like there is for Boost. Torque allows me to grab other values and include them in the gauge, so I can make a gauge that shows EBP minus BARO, giving me Exhaust Back Pressure above atmosphere.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so how do i gauge boost? Can that be done, is there a PID or electronic set up for it, or do i have to tap in manually with my AIH delete mod and run a manual gauge? Or what? How?
On the DashDAQ unit, which you have, the PID for boost is called MGP (Manifold Gauge Pressure). It is basically MAP minus Baro, which should equal out to 0 with KOEO and read true boost when intake pressure goes up.

MGP should have been one of the pre-configured PID's on the screen when you got the unit. If not, click on the gauge you would like to use as a boost gauge. Next, the Gauge Properties screen will pop up. From here, click on the PID name displaying at the top of the screen. This will bring up an entire list of PIDs to select from. Scroll to Manifold Gauge Pressure and select it. Set the high and low limits you would like, and click save. That gauge will now show the PID you selected.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com

Quick Reply: DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.