E250 HEADLIGHT UPGRADE - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E250 HEADLIGHT UPGRADE

Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Senior User

ROADHOGE250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
E250 HEADLIGHT UPGRADE

Installed HELLA 7x6 lined lens conversion for a trip over the Rockies into Wyoming down thru Utah.

Not that we’re driving at night ! I am over the line on not seeing the berm or insides of sharp low speed turns. Ford’s 2 headlamps recessed into the black nose 2008 grill do not light the berm. A disaster, criminal under design.

The Ford lighting experience is mostly transient….cursed then let slide.

Worse, illumination from the Ford wiring/lamp units was variable over 100K miles.

NOT THIS TIME.

HELLA finally appeared on Summit Racing’s catalogue with a hi/low beam conversion upgradeable to 80/100 watts from 55/60w.

Easy replacement: Lamp units side’s sprout 2 ears squeezing into Ford’s housing.

Wiring here turns out hi becomes low, low to hi so wires need switching. The bulb unit seats against Hella’s housing on a brown rim with some tweaking of front and rear tabs, removal of under tabs at the rectangular punchout where the housings small vertical locator fin sits thru.

Bring 2 quality needle nose pliers. One large one small. Have a diode wire twister pins on a small needle nose ? Super. If the spring clip needs bending, the bender…exercising 3D intelligence, holds one side stable with pliers, maybe linemans, then bends the other side.

You watched Jeep Man install round HELLA ? No mention of inspecting the bulb unit’s seating. I would guess there are a few HELLA conversionists wandering around with cockeyed bulb units.

So. What happened ? Around the corner into darkness we have a Blvd runs thru Cow Slough Swamp off the Bass property into the Gulf of Mexico.

I was pleased as Punch. Niagara Falls Dude. The Ford Lighting Tunnel replaced with a broad evenly illuminated road and berm with distant sings glowering back.

EYEYEHAHHAHHAHAH ! LIGHT ROAD BUFFALO FRENCH FARMERS…

Coons and possums danced on the berm.

You know the feeling: “ Aw was this worth the trouble” ?

NOT HERE !

On hi beam with low stalk. Low beam on hi stalk had a fine cutoff with excellent berm lighting.

Yes, 15% plus brighter overall than Ford but focus…wonderful.

There are 450’s peaking over a roof rack spoiler for ultimate berm ID.

We know where we are now.

Two bolts top 2008 grille light ‘bezel’ …the entire large plastic surrounding park and headlamps.. and 2 bottom hiding back of the bumper with one plastic ring pin shaft on the outboard side pulls out.

4 12ga wires for each filament run direct from the battery supplies .25 volts plus to the conversion, over what Ford’s wiring feeds.

I haven’t plugged the desert lighting 12GA relay unit in for a test but have a photo. I’ll get back after testing the relay wiring for Ford anti-mod surprises,

Wiring: http://www.revlimiter.net/mods/pix/moss_relays.gif minus the dioded double connection on left

Relay: HELLA 4RA003 510 26

Housing: Walmart School days pencil box atop battery. Closed with 3M electrical tape shingled over seams. Relays mount on a plastic bar, Bottom box has 4-6 holes melted thru with a propane heated nail held with vice grips. Wire holes closed with 3M 5000 boat caulk or Loctite General Adhesive available at Home Depot and Walmart. Haven’t tried the Loctite on whatever the box is made from. The 3M sticks, cures slowly.

Hella conversion: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-003427811

Look thru Hella’s AUX lighting while there.

Wire gauge/voltage calculator

http://www.powerstream.com/tech.html

Hella advice:

<table width="92%" style="width: 92%; border-collapse: collapse; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes;"><td style="padding: 0.75pt; border: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;">Reduce the voltage drop to the bulbs
</td></tr><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes;"><td valign="top" style="padding: 0.75pt; border: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent;">
By bypassing the standard wiring with relays the voltage to the headlamp can increase, giving improved performance from any bulb. Typically standard wiring is relatively thin and a 1 volt drop is common to the bulbs. When replaced with higher capacity cable and relays this voltage drop can be reduced. A 10% drop in voltage (1.2V) equals 33% drop in light output. Your local Auto Electrician will be able to offer this service. (0800 4 HELLA)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

photo

http://goo.gl/luQga9

Old 09-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Am I alone here that after reading said "WTH is this about?"

I mean I get its about some sort of new headlight system but what about before/after photos? Installation, effect or difference/improvement over previous set up?

Perhaps it's the out-sized font that confuses me?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Am I alone here that after reading said "WTH is this about?"

I mean I get its about some sort of new headlight system but what about before/after photos? Installation, effect or difference/improvement over previous set up?

Perhaps it's the out-sized font that confuses me?
I'm with ya, JWA. I'd be interested in reading about a headlight upgrade, but it's hard when presented as poetry or creative writing that is too cryptic to actually understand. I was lost with Jeep Man and Cow Slough Swamp references. The link to the picture works. Looks like a headlight.

George
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
I'm with ya, JWA. I'd be interested in reading about a headlight upgrade, but it's hard when presented as poetry or creative writing that is too cryptic to actually understand. I was lost with Jeep Man and Cow Slough Swamp references. The link to the picture works. Looks like a headlight.

George

Perhaps this was intended for another forum wherein obscure references et al would be more in context?

Beats the hellouta me!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Senior User

E250 HEADLIGHT UPGRADE

Next post, I'll check with you for approval. Jeep Man is on Utube. The paste in from Word left Utube out. Could be a round unit has more centering than a variable sized unit...as with the 'ears' snugging the 7x6" into Ford's housing. The first photo, of the Hella conversion unit in place displays lensing for berm illumination.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Thanks for the clarification. No approval needed. But most of us don't have a half hour to read a post, click on all the links in order, etc. Coons, possums, and cow slough also on Youtube? My headlights work OK for what I need although I am naturally curious about interesting modifications...

Niagara Falls....slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch...

Thanks and take care,
George
Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 PM
New User

dubyaohohdee is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am not one to talk, but the OP only has 3 posts and just registered. It definitely reads weird. Some sort of Ad bot or something probably.

Yep: Spam for sure. http://www.motorsforum.com/ford_truc...hts-33770-.htm
Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Senior User

Niagara Falls generates electricity, Plato generates Pizza.

So why are coons and possums dancing on the berm ?

Packing the now spare OEM headlamps, I see berm lines on the OEM lens but only for one berm side unless one lamp installs upside down. Just back from Ford parts and no, I do not see a left unit/right unit listing.

Go look.

Perspective here is an E250 owner needs seeing only one berm side, the right side when in fact there are 2 sides to everything.

Search Google for: Bass Cow Slough Gulf of Mexico

It's a swamp...DARK !

If an E250 owner has $100...and what E250 owner doesn't ? Buy a set now before daylight shortens with the onset of winter. You guys have noticed this ? No better upgrade for a bill.

The post covers the grnd.

In forums, generally, any creativity brings your response whether kidding or critically serious like Custer or the Alamo. That the writing covers important information or tech developments is irrelevant.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Elder User

tx2sturgis has a very good reputation on FTE.tx2sturgis has a very good reputation on FTE.tx2sturgis has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up let there be light

Wow.

Ok...I added Rigid LED lighting to my e250 and also dropped in a couple upgraded 6054 halogen lamps. (non-composites on my cargo van)

On low beam everything is about what the factory gave me...but I use a relay to trigger the Rigid D2's on when the high beams come on and let me tell you guys....thats some 747 landing light bright!

WhooHoo!

No cow dung here.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Postmaster

It's all good.

Surprise bonus is that these headlight tips will also work on E150's and E350's.

Weekend is here!
George
Old 09-21-2014, 02:58 PM
New User

Mach5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
One of my "to-dos" is to upgrade the rather paltry lighting on my 99 E-350.