Sponsored by: DP Tuner

towing mods suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM
kx125str99
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing mods suggestions

hey guys i have a 30 foot tow hauler i tow. i have minor mods on the truck like a afe air filter and i also have the diablo sport programmer. was wondering if you guys had any reccomondations to help out with motor and drive train while towing. thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Budget? Burn the tires off while ripping over a mountain pass, or just a bump in speed with lower EGTs up a grade? Once the air gets in, does it find the exit easily? Do you have gauges to even know what your EGTs are?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 PM
kx125str99
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tugly
Budget? Burn the tires off while ripping over a mountain pass, or just a bump in speed with lower EGTs up a grade? Once the air gets in, does it find the exit easily? Do you have gauges to even know what your EGTs are?
budget at the moment yes kid on the way. i have guages just havent installed them yet. planning on having them in by the next week. but can save and buy stuff as i go.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:33 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it easy in the higher hp settings on the DiabloSport. I had one before and it did make the EGT's high. The first things I would do would be:

Set the shift parameters back to the stock setting on the Predator
Install the gauges
4" turbo back exhaust
Air intake heater delete
Intank & prepump mods
A custom chip with some good tow tunes

Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Until you get the gauges in (which should be priority one). You can monitor tyranny temps & Manifold Air Pressure with the DiabloSport.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Install the gauges
4" turbo back exhaust
Air intake heater delete
Intank & prepump mods
A custom chip with some good tow tunes

Translation from mod-speak:
Rich has experience with your tuning unit, and he's sharing advice, based on what he's learned since that time. He's not saying "It would be so cool if you had a different device for tuning", he's saying your device is not kind to the truck - and it's best to neuter some of its "features".

The exhaust is pretty simple - big air in, stock air out doesn't help with boost over 20 PSI. Many of us have had mods done, and a few of us have documented the performance changes with scan tools: 20 PSI boost is the threshold before a bigger exhaust is really "necessary", but it never hurts with towing.

Intake Air Heater Delete can be found with a search on the forum. This is free and takes maybe 10 minutes, if you include the time it takes to fetch the tools and a beverage - and clean up. You won't see anything on the gauges that says "Wahoo... look at that!", but it's a sensible mod that eliminates a small amount of flow restriction in the intake.

In-tank and pre-pump mods. No kidding around here, this is the real deal. It does zip for performance, but it's huge for reliability - our fuel system sucks air better than it sucks fuel. Research Hutch/harpoon mod, and you'll find ample information.

Oh... and click the "Custom Tunes" link in my signature for more information on tuners and upgrades.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks for the clarification Rich (Tugly). My two fat thumbs & cell phone aren't my best mode of communication....

Not bashing the Diablo (I used too though ), it has some good features. It will read & clear trouble codes, monitor engine performance and ok in the lower hp settings. But the shifting parameters increase the pressure and the Exhaust gas temps can easily go over 1250 in the higher hp settings with your setup. That's why I stresses the gauges as priority one. Plus, if you do gauges first you have the added benefit of seeing how different modifications can positively affect engine performance. Especially when towing a loaded toy hauler.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 PM
kx125str99
Mountain Pass
Forgot to mention I do already have a 4" turbo back straight pipe exhaust. Definitely planning on having the gauges hooked up within the next week or so. What kind of programmers are you guys recommending?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I'm thinking a 6.0 trans cooler and maybe a JW or BTS valve body to help the trans live longer.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kx125str99
What kind of programmers are you guys recommending?

Did you click that "Custom Tunes" link?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
If you're going to switch from the Diablo I would recommend Tony Wildman tunes & the Hydra chip. I've been running his tunes since 2005 and compared to the Diablo the power is better and the EGT's are lower.

Compared to the Diablo tow tunes:

1. the shiftining into OD can be adjusted to 50-60 mph instead of 45 so you are not lugging in low rpm's while towing.

2. switch tunes on the fly - no more pulling over & downloading

3. Automatic downshift from OD to 3rd, and keeps to TC locked down to 35 mph or so. Similar to pressing to OD on/off button. It sure helps slowing the train down.

4. Lower EGT's

It sure is sweet to get tunes sent via e-mail instead of waiting for the chip to go back n forth in the mail.

Here is the link:

www.totaldieselperformance - hydra chip & tunes

Old 09-20-2014, 04:22 PM
kx125str99
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tugly
Did you click that "Custom Tunes" link?
i will check now that i am on a computer and can see signatures

Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 PM
kx125str99
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Franko72
I'm thinking a 6.0 trans cooler and maybe a JW or BTS valve body to help the trans live longer.
do you have a recommendation on a cooler bolt on kit? thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 11:28 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
My recommendation for a cooler bolt on kit is... don't do it. Been there, done that. The 6.0 trans cooler is better in every way and is absolutely worth the extra coin.

That said, some guys have nifty Derale coolers with built in fans on thermostats that do the job as well. Can't argue with success.

I prefer the OEM fit of the 6.0 cooler and that it requires no wiring. But either way extra trans cooling really is mandatory before you tow, IMHO.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by kx125str99
do you have a recommendation on a cooler bolt on kit? thanks
Woodnthings has a solid write up on the 6.0 cooler conversion. Some have used barbed fittings from the local hard ware store as well.

click me

Quick Reply: towing mods suggestions