Sponsored by:

Rotors - Help a newbie out

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Captn B
I am getting a slight bit of pulsation, but only if I am at highway speeds and tap the brakes very lightly. Otherwise, I don't feel any. I had it at a shop for inspection and they wouldn't let it pass with the current rotors.

I feel they were looking for an excuse to not do the work as they don't normally work on this big if a vehicle. I won't be going back to them.

I believe the rotors are good for quite a bit longer and had them on the to do list, but figured I might as well just knock them out now.

Interesting, so stay away from drilled rotors huh? That's the first I have heard that mentioned.

Welcome to FTE - the excursion forum is fabulous.. LOTS of info you might not know on here..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...llllppppp.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...k-hp-pads.html

Use the search then select advanced.. enter. "drilled rotor" IN quotes.. then un-select all the forums and just select excursion... grab a drink and spend a few days reading...

Hundreds more threads... (2nd post in each contains drilled rotor message)

Old 09-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Captn B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Welcome to FTE - the excursion forum is fabulous.. LOTS of info you might not know on here..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...llllppppp.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...k-hp-pads.html

Use the search then select advanced.. enter. "drilled rotor" IN quotes.. then un-select all the forums and just select excursion... grab a drink and spend a few days reading...

Hundreds more threads... (2nd post in each contains drilled rotor message)
Thank you!

Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive an F250 Super Duty, but the info is valid for Excursion- when I did my brakes, I ordered AC Delco "police duty" rotors from Amazon. I think they call them "performance duty" or something similar now. They are drilled and slotted. With them, I used Motorcraft Extreme Duty pads.

That said, I work this truck hard. It isn't uncommon for the bed to be piled cab-high with firewood while towing a car trailer with 3-foot sides piled with firewood. I've also towed heavy equipment on a heavier trailer. What I'm getting at is this- I don't buy into the bias on the Internet about the problems with running drilled rotors. My setup has worked well without any brake fade or heat issues. When the day comes that I have to do a rotor/pad change on another SD or Ex, I will be going with this same setup again. It does the job and does it well- without the added expense of all the fancy stuff I've read on these forums. For what some people here have spent on one fancy rotor, I was able to do both rotors and pads, and the performance and wear have been excellent.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
TheCurtster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Captn B
Wow! I was just quoted $560.20 for 4 new motorcraft rotors from the local Ford dealer
i've bought lots of parts from Amazon.com, and if you have their Prime membership, shipping is free. Here's something that might work… Less than $300 for rotors and pads.

Amazon.com: Power Stop K1906 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop K1906 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive

Might hafta do this myself!

Curt

Old 09-17-2014, 05:16 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A few months ago I went with a set of these Callahan slotted/drilled rotors and pads for about $120 for the whole front end.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-Performance-Callahan-Drilled-Slotted-SPORT-Brake-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-4WD-/300660465395?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AExcursion&hash=item4600c29ef3&vxp=mtr
They had good reviews and I figured it was worth a try after comparing the price to Stop Tech. So far, several thousand miles later of hauling down 37" tires on and off-road and I am VERY happy with them. They have great stopping power and I have never felt any fade, even when coming down long mountain passes at a decent grade. Plenty of dips into water and mud with no ill effects.

I had read a ton of people complain about cross drilled rotors and there seems to be a lot of negative words from people who have never run them. I've been very happy so far but I guess I'll be able to report better in another 20k miles.

Out back I have standard Napa grade pads and rotors. No comments either way on those. They work.

I've also been running cheap eBay Chinese COPs (ALL 10!) since I bought the truck a year ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. People on here skewer you for even thinking about running non Motorcraft parts.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
hey them are only 5 lug!

Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
hey them are only 5 lug!
I had the right size drill bit to add 3 more. No problems.