Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door jamb sticker.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM
rlacan71
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver door jamb sticker.

Hey guys. Im going to look at this truck tomorrow:

1991 Ford F-150 XLT $3000 116K mi
Changed plugs and wires not too long ago and changed the oil every 3k miles i baby this truck. New tires Futura Scrambler 31x10.50x15
5.0 V8, auto trans, new warn manual hubs. It is 4x4. The interior is in mint condition

The owner sent me a picture of the door jamb sticker

The Trans code from the door jamb sticker says T

In the door jamb decoder that shows as a Ranger 4 speed auto tranny. Why on earth would there be a Ranger 4 speed auto tranny in a 1991 f150?

The axle code from the same sticker says H9 which is 3.55 LS

Typo?

Also , Aside from 30 bucks from Carfax are there any better sites?

Thx,

Rob

Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 PM
rlacan71
Junior User
Bleh NM.

I saw the sticker saying Ranger and jumped the gun before doing my own research, my bad.

Found this :

Ford used the Cruise-O-Matic C-4 transmission for almost 20 years behind six-cylinder and small V-8 engines in literally millions of production cars. This three-speed workhorse was replaced in 1982 by the light-duty C-5 transmission, which was discontinued in 1986. Because of gas mileage mandates from federal requirements, Ford redesigned the C-4 into an overdrive automatic to lower highway driving ratios resulting in better highway MPG ratings. They called this replacement transmission the AOD, meaning automatic overdrive, and it became Ford's first automatic four-speed offering. Because the AOD is basically a retooled C-4, many classic car owners have discovered they can substitute this overdrive transmission into their '60s and '70s production vehicles relatively easily and reap the benefits of a lower final gear ratio and decreased wear and tear on their vintage small-block V-8 engine. The AOD was used originally on '80s and early-'90s Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury products and in the F-series pickups and E-series vans as well. Because Ford used these transmissions in so many production vehicles, the Ford AOD is relatively easy to locate at used parts yards and can be purchased for a reasonable price. The Ford AOD does not need a computer to function properly either. The throttle valve function is mechanically activated and the torque converter lock-up function was contained entirely within the transmission case. Ford later used this transmission as a basis for their newer overdrive versions, the electronic-overdrive AOD-E, which was used beginning in 1993 and in the 4R70W which was used on 1999 and up production cars and trucks.

As for the Carfax thing...anything cheaper and reliable? I saw a few other sites but not sure of their credibility.

Rob

Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 965 Likes on 763 Posts
Yep.. trans code T is an AOD in these trucks. There are at least a couple pieces of somewhat incorrect or incomplete info that article..
The AOD-E was a short lived light duty trans that was never installed in trucks.
There is no TC lockup in an AOD, the trans simply bypasses the center drive shaft connected to the TC clutch and drives 3rd and 4th directly off the case of the TC.
The 4R70w started appearing in F-series trucks as early as '91 or '92.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 PM
rlacan71
Junior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Yep.. trans code T is an AOD in these trucks. There are at least a couple pieces of somewhat incorrect or incomplete info that article..
The AOD-E was a short lived light duty trans that was never installed in trucks.
There is no TC lockup in an AOD, the trans simply bypasses the center drive shaft connected to the TC clutch and drives 3rd and 4th directly off the case of the TC.
The 4R70w started appearing in F-series trucks as early as '91 or '92.
Is the AOD sturdy and reliable? If I like the truck tomorrow and my mechanic gives me the ok when I get him to look it over I'm probably getting this truck unless........

Still one more to look at though, a 1996 f150 4x4 4.9 133k miles with the E40D with a 3.08 non LS gearing for $2,500.00.

Exact same trucks except one is a 91 the other a 96.

Both are 4x4, std cab...8ft bed...both have manual locking hubs....dual gas tanks. The only downsides to the 4.9 is more rust and no ac... as in it was never installed. The 5.0 I am looking at tomorrow has a small patch of rust on front corner panel drivers side. Both have bed liners

Taking driving habits and setting them aside ( since that's 75% of the MPG battle ) how do the 2 trucks compare MPG wise?

Truck 1 a 91 5.0 116k miles AOD tranny with 3.55 LS

Truck 2 a 96 4.9 133k miles E40D tranny with 3.08 non LS

Old 08-29-2014, 11:23 PM
rlacan71
Junior User
Forgot to mention this truck will be a Daily driver and basically an overgrown car.

A few Home Depot trips , moving stuff for myself and friends , 4x4 during the winter and 2 or 3 trips with the bed full of computers to recycle will be its only truck duties.

I told myself that whenever my current car dies I'm going back to a truck. I cant stand being so low to the ground in a car. I like knowing that whenever I want on a whim I can fill up the bed and or just attach a trailer to it. I like 4x4 in the winter.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 965 Likes on 763 Posts
The AOD is plenty strong for what you're going to do, I is well known as being a super slushy shifting transmission and that does lead to premature wear so I'd suggest installing a street level shift kit to firm up those shifts. The E4OD is supposed to be very strong but we see more complaints about it on here than any other trans. The problem is it's 100% computer controlled and any engine or trans sensor issue will cause strange trans behavour.. which is what the PCM is programmed to do. So keeping the vehicle in top running condition is key to a happy experience with this trans.

A 3.08 geared truck will make overdrive useless unless you're dong more than 60mph, the truck will get around fine with the I6 pushing it but it won't be a hotrod. The 3.55 geared truck will drive more naturally and the LS diff will work better in the snow once you put some weight in the bed, the open diff truck will be totally useless in snow unless it's in 4wd.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM
rlacan71
Junior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
The AOD is plenty strong for what you're going to do, I is well known as being a super slushy shifting transmission and that does lead to premature wear so I'd suggest installing a street level shift kit to firm up those shifts. The E4OD is supposed to be very strong but we see more complaints about it on here than any other trans. The problem is it's 100% computer controlled and any engine or trans sensor issue will cause strange trans behavour.. which is what the PCM is programmed to do. So keeping the vehicle in top running condition is key to a happy experience with this trans.

A 3.08 geared truck will make overdrive useless unless you're dong more than 60mph, the truck will get around fine with the I6 pushing it but it won't be a hotrod. The 3.55 geared truck will drive more naturally and the LS diff will work better in the snow once you put some weight in the bed, the open diff truck will be totally useless in snow unless it's in 4wd.
Thanks for the heads up on the 3.08. If this truck tomorrow doesn't pan out I'm gonna check into that 96. I love the idea of it having a bulletproof 4.9 with only 133k miles and its 500 cheaper. The only thing throwing me off was that it has been posted for over 2 months. I brought that up when I spoke to him and he said people were turned off since it had no AC.

I am really looking forward to seeing this truck tomorrow. If its 1/2 as nice as the pictures look and my mechanic gives me a thumbs up I'm all over it. My lil ****box Nissan Sentra has served me well but being 3 inches off of the ground bothers the **** out of me. The only drawback to this truck is its a regular cab. Was hoping to find something extended or 4 door for my daughter who is 5. I'm sure she will be fine in the front seat of this truck in a booster as there is no airbag, but still.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One 1/4" nut spacer in the "kickdown" cable of the trans will immediately help the slushy shifting.
One thing you need to know about these transmissions, is that they like to shift into 2nd gear while still being slightly engaged in overdrive. If you're towing or driving aggressively, all you need to do I'd shift into drive, BEFORE, flooring the gas pedal. These are very good transmissions, as long as you remember a few things. The transmission will take a lot of grief when in drive.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:30 PM
rlacan71
Junior User
Bleh The owner of the 91 stopped replying to my emails / texts when it came time to show the truck to my mechanic.

Down to the 96 with the 4.9 now. I sold 2 more knives from my collection now my total budget is 3600.

First plan was to get either the 91 or 96 that ive been talking about and selling my car. then I was thinking of maybe even keeping the car as well.

Just now though I saw a 1999 ranger 4x4 ext cab XLT one owner with a 3.0 L Vulcan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6 179k miles. Did a Autocheck and everything looks good.

Almost thinking on seeing if the dealer will give me 500 for my beater car.....drop 2k cash and finance the final 1k ...help my credit out a little. Leaving me 1000 to put back in bank and for pop up repairs / upgrades....

That's if it passes my once over and my mechanics.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:47 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rlacan71
Bleh NM.

I saw the sticker saying Ranger and jumped the gun before doing my own research, my bad.

Found this :

Ford used the Cruise-O-Matic C-4 transmission for almost 20 years behind six-cylinder and small V-8 engines in literally millions of production cars. This three-speed workhorse was replaced in 1982 by the light-duty C-5 transmission, which was discontinued in 1986. Because of gas mileage mandates from federal requirements, Ford redesigned the C-4 into an overdrive automatic to lower highway driving ratios resulting in better highway MPG ratings. They called this replacement transmission the AOD, meaning automatic overdrive, and it became Ford's first automatic four-speed offering. Because the AOD is basically a retooled C-4, many classic car owners have discovered they can substitute this overdrive transmission into their '60s and '70s production vehicles relatively easily and reap the benefits of a lower final gear ratio and decreased wear and tear on their vintage small-block V-8 engine. The AOD was used originally on '80s and early-'90s Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury products and in the F-series pickups and E-series vans as well. Because Ford used these transmissions in so many production vehicles, the Ford AOD is relatively easy to locate at used parts yards and can be purchased for a reasonable price. The Ford AOD does not need a computer to function properly either. The throttle valve function is mechanically activated and the torque converter lock-up function was contained entirely within the transmission case. Ford later used this transmission as a basis for their newer overdrive versions, the electronic-overdrive AOD-E, which was used beginning in 1993 and in the 4R70W which was used on 1999 and up production cars and trucks.

As for the Carfax thing...anything cheaper and reliable? I saw a few other sites but not sure of their credibility.

Rob
Kind of off-topic but the C4/C5 was not the basis for the AOD. The AOD/AOD-E/4R70W/4R75W are based of the old Ravigneaux gearset, same as a Borg-Warner, FMX or MX.

Also, setting up the throttle cable should be done "By The Book", not an arbitrary crude shim job if you want it to last.

Ray

Last edited by raystankewitz; 09-09-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added throttle cable info