6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Under hood LED light options

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under hood LED light options

I was wondering what kind of 12v under hood LED lighting options have been installed. I was thinking of using a continuous LED light strip routed zig zag under the hood, or perhaps two or more strips, rather than just a replacement LED bulb.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

Second to last post in this thread is how I did mine. I used a waterproof LED strip across the front of the hood.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14573881

Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't done anything yet. But I'm planning on just using 3, 4' strips that would be wired directly to the hood switch.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
That seems pretty bright

Originally Posted by BlackNM6.0
Second to last post in this thread is how I did mine. I used a waterproof LED strip across the front of the hood.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14573881
Have you noticed any shadow issues? I was thinking of attaching the lights across the under hood supports to neutralize any engine shadowing.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
Smile

I am planning to not need the hood up enough in the dark to worry about LED lights

Old 09-01-2014, 03:59 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DrillbitTailor
I am planning to not need the hood up enough in the dark to worry about LED lights
I've had my 05 since new and have never needed the under hood lite that came with it.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I was trying to figure out why you need so much light for under the hood? Show truck?

I hope I don't need shop lights with this one -- I certainly didn't with the 2011 I had.

The light that came with mine is adequate for the few things I would and could do under the hood at night. Considering I survived 4 years with none in my 2011...

Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Backwoods repairs

Although I have yet to have any issues with my 2011, I figure that the odds may catch up with me like it did with my cousin traveling to Alberta. There's nothing like a road repair with not enough light that can ruin a trip, especially in bad weather.

Just thinking ahead.

I ordered some waterproof LED lights that I will be pting under the hood and another set in the bed.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I will be using a magnetic switch for the bed lights. The lights will illuminate when I open the rear glass door.

The cost is going to be about $30 front/rear.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM
BlackNM6.0
Senior User

Originally Posted by brmccolley
Have you noticed any shadow issues? I was thinking of attaching the lights across the under hood supports to neutralize any engine shadowing.
I really haven't had to use them. Put them in just in case.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by DrillbitTailor
I was thinking the same thing. Very few things you can do under the hood of these trucks no matter how much light you have.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:12 AM
brmccolley
Senior User
Under hood LED lights installed

Despite the detractors above, I've had many occasions with past vehicles of my own and others when i've needed auxiliary lighting to work on a vehicle at inopportune moments.

Overall I'm pleased with the result of this project as well as the installation of an LED light string on the ceiling of my camper shell ( https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14716707 ) although the installation looks a little unfinished under the hood.

Ford Truck Picture by brmccolley | 2112074 | Ford-Trucks

I ended up dovetail tapping into the under hood tilt switch to activate the lights when the hood is opened. The 15' LED light string is held in place with Magdaddy magnets acquired from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Mag-Daddy MD62411-5 Zip Daddy Black Round Fastener, (Pack of 5): Automotive Amazon.com: Mag-Daddy MD62411-5 Zip Daddy Black Round Fastener, (Pack of 5): Automotive

Robot Check Robot Check

Amazon.com: Triangle Bulbs 3528-IP65-White-60L Pure White LED Strip Light, Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip 12V with 300 SMD LED: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Triangle Bulbs 3528-IP65-White-60L Pure White LED Strip Light, Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip 12V with 300 SMD LED: Home Improvement

Ford Truck Picture by brmccolley | 2112076 | Ford-Trucks

I ended up using both the rectangular shaped magnets and the round magnets as they have different strengths at different locations. The round magnets seemed to swivel the plastic loop used to thread the zip tie through for mounting the lights. I used the round magnets for the corners and the rectangular magnets for the straight sections of the light string.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's an endless variety of the portable LED lights these days. Some with magnets that you can stick where you need them. I keep two in the truck.

Why spend the time and money for an under the hood light you would seldom, if ever need?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 AM
brmccolley
Senior User
Just in case...

I guess for the same reason I carry a spare tire, a jack, tools, have four wheel drive and wear my seat belt. Just in case something happens...

Old 10-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brmccolley
I guess for the same reason I carry a spare tire, a jack, tools, have four wheel drive and wear my seat belt. Just in case something happens...

Then let me add that some LED's under the truck next to the exhaust would be good idea. And add a spare EGT sensor to the list. Chances are you will need one sooner or later.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:52 AM
brmccolley
Senior User
I two spare EGT sensors under the rear seat.

I also have a rope light to maneuver in recesses where a flashlight can't reach.

You'd be surprised how many times I've pulled up and used my floor jack and four way lug wrench to change a tire for someone who's fiddling with a bottle jack. I have a reputation with my family to be somewhat of a mobile pit crew. It's always nice to have the right tool for the job at the most inopportune moment.

Speaking of which, excuse me while I run to Costco to get another floor jack...

Quick Reply: Under hood LED light options