6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Possibly ANOTHER engine blown in same ambulance!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Possibly ANOTHER engine blown in same ambulance!

Once again guys, the '11 F350 ambulance that we have at my part time job, has shut down yet again. If you recall, I did a write up on the truck that blew the engine at 17k miles and was replaced by Ford. This 6.7 has been a nightmare. From the date it was received 4/12 until 9/13 the truck was out of service a total of 61 days for shutdowns, no starts and a blown engine that took 26 days to replace. Now the truck has 79k miles on it and was shut down by personnel last week because of a 'knocking" sound in the engine. It has been taken to two dealerships now due to one of them not being able to handle it right now, due to no compression in one of the cylinders. Initially, thought to be a bad injector before the compression check, now at the bigger dealership to have the engine torn down to find out what the problem is. It will be a few days due to two other 6.7s that are torn down in their bays right now. It is at the largest dealership in the southeast now waiting. This truck is jinxed I swear! Yes, it is a C/C ambulance packaged 6.7 as described in the earlier post I did a while back. When the engine was cranked at the first dealership, the tech shut it down immediately due to the sound. The crew reported that they heard the sound and shut the truck down once they got off of the roadway. I will keep you guys updated as I get more info on her.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Wow...this is not good news. You need that unit running. Can you imagine being in the back of that bus needing to get to the hospital and it breaks down? How awful...

Old 08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Just heard from dealer right before 5, new long block approved and on order. Removing the cab tomorrow to remove engine. AND here we go again!!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
That sucks. Guarantee it's emissions related, whether it's the left bank getting too hot from regen or what. After years of trusting Ford, my FIL is starting to switch from Ford to Chevrolet because of all the problems with the 6.0 and 6.4. :/

Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One of our local ambulance crews with a 2011 6.7 had the same issues. I mentioned them back in 11-12. Horrible! Ambulances need to be running and reliable all the time.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Calls for H&S to release a "emergency rescue vehicle edition" for commercial applications with the EPA approval.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:01 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with ruschejj.. emergency vehicles, ambulances especially, should be exempt from the emissions crap..screw the EPA..

If someone in my family died because of an ambulance that failed due to the EPA mandated emission crap, I would SUE the EPA.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
That sucks. Guarantee it's emissions related, whether it's the left bank getting too hot from regen or what.
Must be nice to be so sure of yourself. I, however, lack faith in your clairvoyant superpowers and will therefore wait for the autopsy results Golfmedik will hopefully be able to provide. There are LOTS of things that can fail in an engine, and for the most part the emissions components on these engines have been pretty decent.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Must be nice to be so sure of yourself. I, however, lack faith in your clairvoyant superpowers and will therefore wait for the autopsy results Golfmedik will hopefully be able to provide. There are LOTS of things that can fail in an engine, and for the most part the emissions components on these engines have been pretty decent.
I lack faith in your experience with emergency vehicles that at times idle for HOURS on end, go from a stop still to pedal to the floor, etc. The emissions components have been ok on OUR trucks, because for the most part we don't run ours the same. I worked on my old county's EMS vehicles for the better part of 3 years, it makes me no expert, but I know that we had more problems out of the emission problems then anything else. I agree we should wait for the teardown though.

How long did you own your 6.7 for Tom?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Medic, so is it down in Winder?
They got to replace my blown turbo last June. I'm hoping my H&S tune will keep things from blowing up until I can get the 2016 ..... and get a Lead Foot Deisel Tune on it!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
How long did you own your 6.7 for Tom?
Unfortunately I only had mine for about a year. Long enough for it to need a turbo replacement, but otherwise it was good to me. Hopefully I'll be looking at a new one in about a year, I really miss that truck!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I had the first generation (08) with the DPF and had no problems.

I now have the '13 with no problems.

Lets wait and see what the issue is.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a lot of things that could go wrong. Dropped valve(while only the 11 engines have it as a common issue, any engine can drop a valve), broken glow plug tip(more likely than the valve IMO), injector stuck open, excess fuel-oil dilution, etc.

We won't know until the autopsy. If I had to guess...I'd say glow plug tip. Could be way wrong though.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mebe2k
I agree with ruschejj.. emergency vehicles, ambulances especially, should be exempt from the emissions crap..screw the EPA..

If someone in my family died because of an ambulance that failed due to the EPA mandated emission crap, I would SUE the EPA.
Try dealing with fire engines and trucks with regens .........................

Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
Try dealing with fire engines and trucks with regens .........................
Yeah,one of our newer ladder trucks(2009 or so) has to be taken out of service to regen.Also seems like this truck is out of service for other things as well more then its in service.

On the other hand our new 2014 seagrave pumper does not.It acts more or less like our trucks.Passive regens etc.Not many problems..Yet....Incredibly nice truck though inside and out.

Quick Reply: Possibly ANOTHER engine blown in same ambulance!