Sponsored by: Moser

EcoBoost with Heavy Duty Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Atlee
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EcoBoost with Heavy Duty Package

Anyone here have the ECO BOOST coupled with the Max Tow Pkg AND Heavy Duty Pkg in a long bed Extended Cab?

That's what I'm looking at right now. It will be used to pull a travel trailer most of the time. Currently, the TT is relatively small, 24 ft with a 4990 max GVWR.

The possibility exists I may trade up to something larger in TT size should we decide to winter over in Florida.

I know for certain this combo isn't designed for great mileage. However, I'd like to get some idea of the mileage before buying.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The ecoboost....or as we refer to it as the EGOboost...is a stout hard pulling motor. It will have no problem towing that TT you have. Honestly unless you are planning to buy a trailer to push the limit of the truck...you really don't need the max tow option. 3.31's would tow up to about 9600 lbs. It will give you better fuel milage when not towing.

I tow a boat that is about 4200 lbs. and it tows it without issue and with plenty of power to spare! Sometimes I am impressed with how quickly it gets up to speed even with that boat being towed. I have the max tow option and got that option solely for getting the maximum towing capability. (11,200 lbs.) I didn't want to be limited to towing 9,600 lbs. because to me that would be too small of a trailer.

If you are looking into the max tow option that will be with 3.73 gearing ( and a host of other upgrades to the cooling and hitch)

So fuel milage is a VERY subjective subject that is not across the board the same for everyone. I personally usually get around 20-22 mpg on the freeway back and forth to work daily on my stretch of the road. I do go through hills and one steep grade. (this is doing 65 on cruise control) Your milage WILL vary just like everyone else's. Honestly we can spew milage numbers at you all day long...and in the end your driving habits (meaning your right foot) will prevail.

Max payload option is great but you will only be able to get that in certain trim levels and it comes with the 17" rims. I believe it also comes with the max tow option...which again is with the 3.73 gearing. There will not be much of a milage difference between 3.55 gearing and 3.73 gearing.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Majority of people with Max Tow get about 17 mpg highway empty. I'm one of them so I pay pretty close attention when I see threads discussing it. Any other gear ratio delivers much better results. 3.31 gears are great balance of performance if you don't need Max Tow.

If you do need (not just want) Max Tow on a frequent basis then seriously look at a F250.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Atlee
Senior User
I want the Max Tow & HD Pkg to keep the option of moving to a larger trailer should we want to winter over in Florida.

I understand I'll have more than enough truck for my current trailer. I don't want wake up in two years wishing I had more truck than I have now.

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Welcome to the forum!

The ecoboost....or as we refer to it as the EGOboost...is a stout hard pulling motor. It will have no problem towing that TT you have. Honestly unless you are planning to buy a trailer to push the limit of the truck...you really don't need the max tow option. 3.31's would tow up to about 9600 lbs. It will give you better fuel milage when not towing.

I tow a boat that is about 4200 lbs. and it tows it without issue and with plenty of power to spare! Sometimes I am impressed with how quickly it gets up to speed even with that boat being towed. I have the max tow option and got that option solely for getting the maximum towing capability. (11,200 lbs.) I didn't want to be limited to towing 9,600 lbs. because to me that would be too small of a trailer.

If you are looking into the max tow option that will be with 3.73 gearing ( and a host of other upgrades to the cooling and hitch)

So fuel milage is a VERY subjective subject that is not across the board the same for everyone. I personally usually get around 20-22 mpg on the freeway back and forth to work daily on my stretch of the road. I do go through hills and one steep grade. (this is doing 65 on cruise control) Your milage WILL vary just like everyone else's. Honestly we can spew milage numbers at you all day long...and in the end your driving habits (meaning your right foot) will prevail.

Max payload option is great but you will only be able to get that in certain trim levels and it comes with the 17" rims. I believe it also comes with the max tow option...which again is with the 3.73 gearing. There will not be much of a milage difference between 3.55 gearing and 3.73 gearing.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Atlee
Senior User
I don't want a gas powered F250 & I don't want the extra cost of a diesel. From every thing I've read, I should get near diesel performance w/ the eco boost.

If I had to guess, 70 to 80 per cent of my miles will be towing.

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Majority of people with Max Tow get about 17 mpg highway empty. I'm one of them so I pay pretty close attention when I see threads discussing it. Any other gear ratio delivers much better results. 3.31 gears are great balance of performance if you don't need Max Tow.

If you do need (not just want) Max Tow on a frequent basis then seriously look at a F250.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you park it a lot or are you constantly moving around with the trailer?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Atlee
Senior User
We tend to pretty much tend to stay on the move. On our recent 7900 mile trip the longest we stayed in any one place was 6 days in LA. And even here, we were in 1 place 2 nights, and in another place 4 nights. Two days/3 nights might be the average.

During the fall college football season, we spend 2 nights boondocking near the campus, within walking distance to the stadium.

Do you park it a lot or are you constantly moving around with the trailer?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Well in the end it all depends on the weight of the trailer you will be purchasing. I was in the same predicament as you are a few years back. I wanted the F250 but ended up with the F150. There are still parts of me wishing I had still gone with the F250 mainly because of some of the trailers we were looking at.

Now we have looked and are set on this one 5th wheel but the pin weight is just a bit too much. It's frustrating. One of the other things that could come into play is that if you are towing in altitude with steep grades, the 6.7 PSD will have a much better engine braking than the ecoboost.

I do like the fact of not having to worry about water in my fuel like I would have with the diesel, or having to add emulsifiers to the fuel, or buy urea, etc.

My suggestion is go window shopping for a trailer or 5th wheel that you two would be happy with and that in turn will basically spell out what truck you will need to pull that load. Give yourself some leeway If you both like a 5th wheel or trailer that is in the 11,000 lb. range or better then that is F250/350 territory for full time travelers such as yourself.

I am also on another forum that has some full-time campers and they have a F150 ecoboost with a 5th wheel that I want to have Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8289WS. They tow it all over the country and love it. That 5th wheel is 9,800 lbs with full tanks and loaded to the cargo weight limit of 1557 lbs.

The 2015 F150's are less weight with the same motor.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Atlee
Senior User
No more looking. Pulled the trigger on a 2014 F150 4x4 Scab, 163" WB, 3.5L EB, Sterling Gray Metallic. XLT Equip Grp 301A. Max Trailer Tow Pkg, Heavy Duty Payload Pkg today.

My 2005 F150 XLT 4x4 Scab w/ 6.5' box & 5.4L had a payload capacity of 1474#. The new truck has a payload capacity of 2250#. That extra 800# is going to come in handy.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Very nice Atlee, that sounds like it will fit the bill just fine. Make sure to post pics!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Atlee
Senior User
Currently I pull a 24' long Skyline Koala. It's GVWR is only 4990. However, With the stuff i carry in my truck bed, 2 Honda EU2000i gennys & 13.5 gallons of gas (we do a lot of boondocking at football weekends) plus a air compressor during my cross country jaunt including the deserts of the southwest I was running out of cargo capacity.

This new truck should take care of that problem. Also, I'm hoping my trip to Yellowstone next summer will do better with the EB, as opposed to my old 5.4 with 4 speed.

I pick it up Monday. They just got it today from PA.

Originally Posted by Tom
Very nice Atlee, that sounds like it will fit the bill just fine. Make sure to post pics!

Old 08-17-2014, 09:14 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on that, when I bought my max tow king ranch I had been waffling back and forth between a max tow 150 and a gas 250. I'm from Idaho but I work 20+ days a month 320 miles or so from home in Oregon. If I had known that I would be towing / hauling things short distances here in Oregon this much along with towing things back and forth from Idaho to Oregon or vice versa I would have bought the 250 and might have even sprung for the diesel. I did end up putting airbags on to keep me level when loaded which helped immensely. I've only overloaded myself once and that was with a pallet of tile. According to ford my payload is 1800lbs and the time was probably 2k or more. I pumped the bags up and it handled it just fine. I've towed 10k lbs several times here in town and back and forth between Oregon and Idaho and once again the truck handled it like a champ. In hindsight my advice to you is what I told my friend who is looking at a max tow/hd payload f150. If you're really need that much payload and towing on a regular basis just get a super duty.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Atlee
No more looking. Pulled the trigger on a 2014 F150 4x4 Scab, 163" WB, 3.5L EB, Sterling Gray Metallic. XLT Equip Grp 301A. Max Trailer Tow Pkg, Heavy Duty Payload Pkg today.

My 2005 F150 XLT 4x4 Scab w/ 6.5' box & 5.4L had a payload capacity of 1474#. The new truck has a payload capacity of 2250#. That extra 800# is going to come in handy.
Congrats Atlee!I am sutra you will really enjoy that truck!

Old 08-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Atlee
Senior User
Trouble with the SD is I didn't want the 6.2 V8 and I couldn't afford the diesel premium. And speaking of the diesel, I'm not a big fan of the EGR stuff and that DEF pollution stuff.

But at this point, it is a moot point. For better or worse, I'm out of the market now.

Originally Posted by bigblueknight
+1 on that, when I bought my max tow king ranch I had been waffling back and forth between a max tow 150 and a gas 250. I'm from Idaho but I work 20+ days a month 320 miles or so from home in Oregon. If I had known that I would be towing / hauling things short distances here in Oregon this much along with towing things back and forth from Idaho to Oregon or vice versa I would have bought the 250 and might have even sprung for the diesel. I did end up putting airbags on to keep me level when loaded which helped immensely. I've only overloaded myself once and that was with a pallet of tile. According to ford my payload is 1800lbs and the time was probably 2k or more. I pumped the bags up and it handled it just fine. I've towed 10k lbs several times here in town and back and forth between Oregon and Idaho and once again the truck handled it like a champ. In hindsight my advice to you is what I told my friend who is looking at a max tow/hd payload f150. If you're really need that much payload and towing on a regular basis just get a super duty.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:16 PM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlee
Trouble with the SD is I didn't want the 6.2 V8 and I couldn't afford the diesel premium. And speaking of the diesel, I'm not a big fan of the EGR stuff and that DEF pollution stuff.

But at this point, it is a moot point. For better or worse, I'm out of the market now.
I wasn't a big fan of the 6.2 mileage I was reading about here on fte but my ecoboost isn't much better in town. Just like you I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price of the diesel option. Congratulations on the new truck! hope to see some photos on here soon. When I bought mine I wanted the hd payload package but when I found out I could only get a blue jeans two tone lariat with a black interior I opted for the kr

Quick Reply: EcoBoost with Heavy Duty Package