Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Best Exhaust and Some Kind of Intake for 7.3IDI

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Exhaust and Some Kind of Intake for 7.3IDI

Ive got an 89 F250 with a 7.3 and im looking to let her breathe a little better. I am looking at new exhaust and wondering if there are any intakes made for the IDI? If not, what works that would get a little more air to it? Right now its just the soup bowl without the hose to the grill so its just coming from the engine bay.

As far as exhaust right now the truck has dual pipes going into a y-pipe and a single muffler with dual exits. Would a larger single pipe systen be better? Im sure the best thing would be to run straight pipes and no muffler but is that gonna make my truck to loud? Like a Banks monster exhaust or something?

Im not looking for huge HP and torque gains but just a little improvemrnt. I know the best thing to do would be to put a sidewinder but i simply cant afford it anywhere in the near future

Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
True duals, 2.25 or so would be good, if NA keep mufflers. The intake side of things isnt half bad, get the "snorkle" and stick back on it, or route it into the cowl so that shes getting cool air.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 AM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Thanks. I pretty much planned on going to true duals but what mufflers are good? Its got a Dynomax muffler on it now which if i recall correctly is Napa's proprietary brand. Nothing wrong with it just looking to drop some back pressure.

Like i said i would love to throw a sidewindwer on it at 10lbs and call it a day but i dont have $2700 to drop on a new one and can never find a used one anywhere near me in the country.

Where would i be able to find that piece of plastic that mounts to the grill? And would gutter pipe work as hose?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just took mine off, but not worth shipping from oregon to virginia. I imagine you could find all you need in a junkyard.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Dynomax Exhaust
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Talking

Just an FYI, we aren't a "house" brand for Napa, we are available in many places.

Originally Posted by VaFordman26
Thanks. I pretty much planned on going to true duals but what mufflers are good? Its got a Dynomax muffler on it now which if i recall correctly is Napa's proprietary brand. Nothing wrong with it just looking to drop some back pressure.

Like i said i would love to throw a sidewindwer on it at 10lbs and call it a day but i dont have $2700 to drop on a new one and can never find a used one anywhere near me in the country.

Where would i be able to find that piece of plastic that mounts to the grill? And would gutter pipe work as hose?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
FWIW the air filter housing isn't the soup bowl, but rather the large obstruction inside the housing under the lid:

Soup Bowl Mod Explained, With Pics

Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
dynomax RV/walker big truck muffler's are what i run.they have a cool design to them.their large length and diameter help keep the noise down and looking in you can see a devoted chamber that i guess is a built in resonator to keep any annoying in cab hum/drone away.with the turbo they are good.you can still have a bit of rumble/exhaust note and keep a lot of whistle.
she's toned down plenty w/ turbo so that the cops wont bother ya even at max gross/wot pulling grades.
for n/a.......oh i dunno.might be too much for a daily worker.probably ok for a dd though.

back before i went w/ turbo i had a custom y pipe built.that looked like a true Y and not a half crooked T.went to 3.5" from that into a free flow muffler (was too loud.got pulled over pulling a grade one day.i got sick of the noise anyway too.)
then did up a home made cowl induction.
that gave her some more nuts.nothing drastic like a turbo,but you could feel the increase easy enough.n/a's with open exhaust = not so good for daily workers pulling grades at wot in 2nd gear....grows old real fast.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
DmanNC
Senior User
When I purchased my truck she had a 4" straight pipe and you couldn't even talk without screaming when I hit the throttle. So I added a MRBP extreme muffler and I love the tone it makes!