1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What if...

Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i like how this thread is still going. rich, i still vote for the 7.3L. its my kinda motor… cheers guys.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's be honest, there are many reasons someone would choose a 6.7 and in their situation those reasons make sense. On the flip side, many people choose the 7.3L (and obviously others as well) and in their situation it makes sense as well.

I mentioned this lovely discussion to a guy I know who runs a couple logging crews and they still have four 7.3s of the original 7.3s they bought and run them every week along with 2 6.7s and one 6.2L. He says he likes the newer rigs fine enough but in their situation of working in remote areas and being 50-100miles from the nearest Ford dealer makes any type of issue a real problem for them. They like the 7.3 as chances are anything can easily be fixed and there is plenty of knowledge, plus parts are easy to find and every small town has some garage familiar with the 7.3L. No one will touch the 6.7 yet........yet, maybe someday that will change.

The prospect of having a "water in fuel" issue running diesel from hick town stations or from their own tanks and setting off a sensor on the 6.7L would leave them having to probably literally load the rig on a logging truck and drive it out to a dealer or tow it very carefully so you don't destroy it on the logging roads (think very rough littered with holes, rocks and small slash). He also was without one of the 6.7s for 2 weeks last winter with the DEF heater issue as well.....obviously this is more of a cold weather climate issue for the 6.7L. Evidently DEF freezes at like 17 degrees or something and we call 17 degrees late October.........

Again, 6.7 is a heck of a rig for some, especially those who don't plan on turning a wrench on it, live close to the dealer, can live with their $60K+ vehicle being down for a couple days or longer for parts and/or warranty battles.

As a side note, the loggers like the 6.2L gasser, plenty of power but it is a very thirsty SOB. With a work body on that rig he is happy when he sees 10mpg, he usually gets about 9mpg with that rig.......unloaded he said he can squeak out like 12mpg on the highway without hills or breaking 70mph.

At the end of the day even with the common issues we talk about with the 6.7L we are still talking about a small % of the ones on the road, but that is true of all vehicles and even a single digit % is a boatload of rigs and some people aren't willing to roll the dice with their $60K+.

Good discussion......

Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 AM
yfz 450
Senior User
I was a 7.3 owner up until about 2 weeks ago. It was a good truck but it was sold to acquire a 6.7. I'm sure no one here is gunna like to hear that. I have to say I love the new truck compared to the 7.3. Only time will tell if it holds up but I guess you have to keep a positive attitude. I also had the dreaded 6.0 for a few years sold it with close to 90,000 miles due to all the horror stories I read on here. I have to say though in the 60,000 miles I had that truck I didn't have a single issue it was a great truck. I then got the 7.3 and got it at 35,000 miles just sold it at 47,000 miles and in its 12,000 mile life span it had with me I had to put about $3,000 worth of work into it. I feel as though I did cause some of that work to be had because of a tuner but at the same time I don't think it should have happen the way it did. I am not coming here to bash the 7.3 and hurray the 6.7 but I think they are all a gamble. 6.0 has the worst name In the powerstroke family and I had 0 issues and 7.3 best name in the powerstroke family and I had 3,000 more in issues. I hope the 6.7 follows suite in the 0 issue department but only time will tell. But I must say I have not looked back at the 7.3 since I got in the 6.7. And trust me it's not because I have to justify the money I am spending on it because if it was fully paied off I would feel the same way still

Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I think this is a good time to clarify a couple of my thoughts on this. I don't think the 7.3L Powerstroke and newer motors are flaws in the system, it's all the bells, whistles, and emission crap that hung on it that tips the Christmas tree over. Stinky's engine has been great - it's the sensors, alternator, water pump, oil cooler, and IPR that have all failed. THEN... the modifications to the system was like letting cats out of a box, and I've been trying to herd them all back in since then.

*EDITED* I'm betting this will be true with the 6.0L, the 6.4L, and the 6.7L. The three things that get me are:
  1. The 6.4L and 6.7L need body lifts for engine access, so you are committed down a path of replace when worn - or pay big for many engine repairs.
  2. I think we can agree the emissions hardware introduced in 2007 did nothing to augment the reliability, or reduce cost of ownership of the Powerstroke.
  3. There is a big demand for used 7.3L Superdutys in my region, and a small one for 6.0Ls. What do you suppose will be the demand for a used 6.4L or 6.7L that needs work? What kind of trade-in would you expect there to be - once you are trapped in the "replace as needed" cycle? That's a big freaking Bic lighter... as compared to the Zippo of Powerstrokes (7.3L).

It was suggested to get a 2007 6.0L (newest pre-emission truck), bulletproof it, and rock on. If I posted this scenario in the 6.0L forum, it might get some interesting answers... because upgrading a bulletproofed 6.0L to a power level over the 6.7L is not as difficult (or expensive) as on a 7.3L (from what I've been told).

Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The newer the truck, the easier it is to get big HP numbers. I believe the 6.4 can get over 600hp with just an intake, exhaust, and tunes.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
I think this is a good time to clarify a couple of my thoughts on this. I don't think the 7.3L Powerstroke and newer motors are flaws in the system, it's all the bells, whistles, and emission crap that hung on it that tips the Christmas tree over. Stinky's engine has been great - it's the sensors, alternator, water pump, oil cooler, and IPR that have all failed. THEN... the modifications to the system was like letting cats out of a box, and I've been trying to herd them all back in since then.

I'm betting this will be true with the 6.0L, the 6.4L, and the 6.7L. The two things that get me are:
  1. The 6.4L and 6.7L need body lifts for engine access, so you are committed down a path of replace when worn - or pay big for many engine repairs.
  2. I think we can agree the emissions hardware introduced in 2007 did nothing to augment the reliability, or reduce cost of ownership of the Powerstroke.

It was suggested to get a 2007 6.0L (newest pre-emission truck), bulletproof it, and rock on. If I posted this scenario in the 6.0L forum, it might get some interesting answers... because upgrading a bulletproofed 6.0L to a power level over the 6.7L is not as difficult (or expensive) as on a 7.3L (from what I've been told).
Wrong, the 6.0 had emissions junk from the start in 2003, EGR, EGR cooler, catalytic converter. The 6.4's got a DPF on top of all the other stuff the 6.0 had. Then you got DEF in the 6.7's on top of all the other stuff.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Part of the bullet-proofing is getting rid of that stuff. I don't know if this is possible on the 6.4L or 6.7L... particularly when you factor in all the electronics counting on the hardware being there, and the body-lift factor.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Echo Chambers

"It was suggested to get a 2007 6.0L (newest pre-emission truck), bulletproof it, and rock on. If I posted this scenario in the 6.0L forum, it might get some interesting answers..."

Liberals always blame TEA Partiers like me of being narrowminded because we listen to an "echo chamber" of our own beliefs by Sean Hannity and Michael Berry which I do, but I also podcast the Friday morning Domestic and International hours of the Diane Rehm Show and listen to some NPR.

The various Powerstroke forums are like that.

I like that you busted us out of our "7.3 Echo Chamber" by posting your 6.7 vs 7.3 and vice versa threads in those two forums.

So yes, I for one would like to see a 6.0 vs 7.3 thread.

Why can't I learn about the 6.0 by reading by my lonesome on the 6.0 forum?

Well, it was helpful to learn about the 6.7 by comparing it to the base of knowledge (only a little for me) which I already have about the 7.3.

Great threads by you as usual. Great posts by our cousins in the other forum.

I think it is good for us Powerstrokers to have a family get together thread every once in a while.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Part of the bullet-proofing is getting rid of that stuff. I don't know if this is possible on the 6.4L or 6.7L... particularly when you factor in all the electronics counting on the hardware being there, and the body-lift factor.
You don't have to get rid of anything to make a 6.0 just as solid as a 7.3. But you do need to replace some stuff with better quality aftermarket parts.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did an EGR system delete and DPF system delete on an '08 6.4 about a month ago. Tuned to handle the electronic part after. All cab on...

I don't remove the EGR system on a 6.0 It's not needed. If an EGR cooler fails, I replace the cooler with a BPD cooler. I don't do studs in my truck, they don't need them unless you go high power. I tow 18k with bolts, EGR cooler, and stock everything else. A 6.0 doesn't need near the work to bulletproof as some think it does...

Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
That just goes to show the extent of my knowledge of the 6.0L - some old "groupthink" talk.

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
I think it is good for us Powerstrokers to have a family get together thread every once in a while.
More like group therapy. We'd all file into a room with a big pot of coffee, samples of fuel additives, and V10 brochures on a table. "Hi. My name is Rich, and I'm a Powerstroker."

Old 07-18-2014, 02:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the 6.4 can put down more HP than any other diesel ever, with just tune, air, and exhuast.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:32 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys do realize that lifting the cab really ISNT a big deal, any good shop can have your cab off in an hour or less...and then can easily work on your engine. Thats the least of my worries with a newer truck...i can't wait until i can afford a 6.7 in a few years

Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
. . . i can't wait until i can afford a . . .
That feeling will weaken as you get older.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe

Drove our new 6.2 gas truck at work the other day. Just an empty pickup...7.9 mpg

+$8480

I love my paid off 7.3, just sayin...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What if...