Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help - 911. Ford excursion issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help - 911. Ford excursion issues.

Hey guys. Thanks for your time.
Iv got a 2000 ford excursion xlt with the 5.4 triton with around 215k.

I just dropped over 1000k into this truck. But that is ok I got it for a steal.

Here is the deal.

The truck has set for sometime. 2 plus years.
When I first started the truck - it ran really rough. After a tune up it did get alote better but still had a slight roughness when reving the engine. -This was also present before the tune up.
I recently started doing repairs to the truck to get it road ready again.
Here is a list of things i have changed.
New brake system. Master Cylinder and calipers - break pads.
Plugs - and boots.
Plenum gasket.
Air idle control.
Oil change.
Fuel filter.
Fuel tank was drained some time ago. Fresh fuel.

Ok the first problem I noticed.
When I first got the truck running again - It had a slight hesitation/missfire when revving the truck - as it ran it got better but never fully went away *I figured it was from setting*. The more it ran the better it did seem until yesterday.

The 2nd issue I have noticed. When you put the key to the run position. The truck will not allow any power to electric system (Windows/locks/ stuff like that) It takes almost a min of the key being on and then you here the truck DING DING DING and the power will come on allowing you to use the windows and stuff. Then some time later the truck loses its power again and will not come back with out restarting the truck or turning it off and back to run *Does this running or with the key in run position and engine off or in accl*

Now yesterday - I did the title and tags and insurance. 300$+.... *This is the first time Iv seen it do this
When I first started the truck to pull it out of the shop and put the new plates on it acted fine.
Then on the 2nd start (5 mins later) It wanted to idle high.@ 1500rpms When I gave it gas it wanted to stay at 2000rpm.

(I checked lines and did not see any lose)* NOTE *(After the tune up - I started it everyday for almost 2 weaks and let it run for 30 mins or so)
So I Thought maybe junk got in the AIC and a nice run would help it. The Rpms did finally drop.
Took her to a station put some fuel in her and took off.
It did have a slight misfire when taking off. It seemed to get better for a min but then started noticing delayed shifting....... About 3 miles from the station doing about 70 I noticed a lack of power---- Figured it was from setting and it may clean its self up... Nope got worse - to the point wear any thing more then 1/4 throttle and it would try and die or lose almost all power.
The shifting did get better.
To me it acted like it was losing fuel.
Here is wear it gets weird. There are no check engine lights on.
After driving so long the truck will finally just lose all ability to accelerate and will fight to maintain current rpm/speed. If you pull over and put it in PARK the truck will still not rev what so ever.
If you shut it down she will fire right up and you can rev it all you want. until you take off again *It still has a slight misfire or hesitation* - Once you try to take off it will drive semi ok for maybe 1/2 mile and start losing power again. It slowly loses power *Not all at once* The more you try to drive the worse it gets. To the point you have to pull over and restart.

Im currently at a loss for this. I kept thinking fuel pump but why does the issue get better when I turn the key or and restart the truck-and if I dont put it in park I can rev it all day.

Also Thought maybe a TPS issue but there are no codes.

The temps wear fine.
The overall ride was smooth.
No check engine lights.
No weird noises.
No smoking.
I thought I smelled bad fuel. Not sure.

Also since I got the truck if you rev the engine to different rpms and hold it the speed needle will jump around and stick in different places until you let off the pedal.

I need this truck right now.... Got a sick wife and babys and stuff.

Does anyone got any ideas?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel injectors might be clogged up some from old fuel while sitting those two years. See if it has any DTC codes for the fuel injectors. If so, you might try techron or seafoam and see if that stuff clears them out.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Fuel injectors might be clogged up some from old fuel while sitting those two years. See if it has any DTC codes for the fuel injectors. If so, you might try techron or seafoam and see if that stuff clears them out.
When I changed my plenum gaskets I soaked the injectors in diesel fuel. For around a hour or so.... I also used the spry seafoam and shot it threw the throttle body housing with it running..

Thanks Magnus - I may try it again.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
This truck came to me originally for a repair job. The brakes wear bad.(It was towed over to my place)and After I did the repair work the truck set for a mth or so because the owner could not afford to pay me for the repairs. When he finally did get the money he came over and I wanted to show him the brakes works and every step I took to make them right - When I tried to start the truck it would start but die right after starting. I told him Idk what was wrong with the truck but I would look in to it. He kept saying something about his x putting something in the fuel tank *Sugar or such* I wounder If maybe she did put something in the tank and its killed the pump?

From the way it was acting I figured the air idle control was sticking - I pulled it and cleaned it and it started right up and ran fine. Then it was park until he could pay me. Well I ended up buying it from him when he went to prison. I gave his family a 1000$. and thats how we got wear we are today.

Sorry if this is to much info - I think to much is better then not enf. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Could the delay in electric problem be caused by a Vehicle security module or GEM?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 PM
stpete
Senior User
In my F150 I had some weird issues like your key-on delay. It was a module in the steering column. It controlled pretty much everything on the column. Sometimes I'd flip on the turn signal and it wouldn't work until I flipped on the wipers. Just generally strange functionality. I never had a key-on fail, but the guys at the dealer said I would eventually. The part was like $50, so I replaced it. Might be worth investigating. I would occasionally start into rough running conditions. In my case it would clear up after a while. But, that stopped happening when I got the new starter module (I think it was called). Some people on the F150 forums said the module just needed cleaning, but I replaced it. Only had the truck for a few more months after I replaced the module, so not sure it wouldn't go into rough running if I let it sit for a while.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I wish the Techies would come along already....

Idk -I gotta get this fixed. I can deal with the windows and stuff but Its gotta run right.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Where are you located? Update your profile I would try the seafoam first to be honest.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
How is the alternator and battery? Have they been load tested?
Have you cleaned the MAF sensor? PCV changed?
What about the elbow hose from the pcv to the throttle body? sometimes these crack and will cause lean issues.
What is your fuel pressure like when it is running normally and with other symptoms? You can check it off the schrader valve on the fuel rail.
I agree with the seafoam run it through the tank and the brake booster.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Where are you located? Update your profile I would try the seafoam first to be honest.
Im located in muskogee ok.
I will update my profile in a bit.
I did run the spry seafoam threw the throttle body once before. Ill drop some in the tank and give it a try. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
How is the alternator and battery? Have they been load tested?
Have you cleaned the MAF sensor? PCV changed?
What about the elbow hose from the pcv to the throttle body? sometimes these crack and will cause lean issues.
What is your fuel pressure like when it is running normally and with other symptoms? You can check it off the schrader valve on the fuel rail.
I agree with the seafoam run it through the tank and the brake booster.
I have no load tested the battery - I did check for voltage and had 13+

I will try and clean the MAF sensor.
I have put on a new PCV valve.
As far as the elbow goes - I did check this but will check again.
I will check fuel pressure in the morning and will update.

I have already ran seafoam threw the throttle body and brake booster.

Thanks Will update asap.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Seafoam through the throttle body will likely not clean your injectors. You have to run it through the fuel.

And what does the OBD2 reader say about any codes?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Ok just ran my code reader - I had only one code show up in pending codes - P0122

Sounds like this could be some of the issue - High idle and hesitation when when taking off.

The throttle position sensor (TPS) responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the ECM.

Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the ECM receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

Read more: P0122 Ford Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Low Input OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Ill also check fuel pressure in a bit. Any more advice.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Sounds like you're on to something. Keep us posted.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I changed the TPS. The High idle issue went away.
Still has a hesitation when you rev... I made it around the block before it started losing acceleration - Started losing power.

Guess I gotta get a fuel pressure tester gauge.... Will update asap. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Please help - 911. Ford excursion issues.