6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Yellowstone Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Map Man 1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We didn't have any trouble in the mountains......400 Cummins seemed to handle the terrain with no sweat!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Ken03KBGTvert
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azfly
If you are looking for a place to stay either in a tent, cabin or 5th wheel/ trailer/ coach look into Grizzly RV Park. Great place to stay as we have just returned from there and have stayed there on our past trips.

They have full hook up to include 50 and 30 amp service. Staff is great and will not stay at another park in West Yellowstone. Minutes from the West entrance to Yellowstone. Walking distance from town.

If you are looking for a inexpensive place to eat in West Yellowstone check out the School bus on the East side of the Canyon street. Best tacos in town.....
We are going to be staying there in a couple weeks. It was the only rv park not part of the national parks I could find. Sounds like I picked a winner. Looks good from outer space on google maps

We will only be in Yellowstone for twofull days. I know that's not much but it's all we got, it's part of a two week cross country. Going to do the loop road thing and that 's about it, looks like a ton to see just on that road.

Attractions we will see in two weeks...
Petrified forest (driver by)
Meteor Crater (one day)
Grand Canyon (one day)
Death Valley (one night-no moon the night we are there, should be great for seeing stars like never before)
Sequoia NP (one day biggest tree in world)
Redwood NP (one day tallest trees in world)
Yellowstone NP (two days)
Grand Teton NP (drive by)
And a whole lot of interstate form Knoxville TN over to that side of the country and back.

In-laws are going with us. My wife's dad is a forester, has been his whole life, and he has never seen the BIG trees. Sequoia and Redwood are for him. The other destinations are just something to do on the way over and back. No way I was driving 6000 miles just to see a couple trees

Ken

Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Map Man 1
Senior User
Made it to Grizzly RV Park last nite for a couple days......other than Disney Campground in Florida; this is the nicest one we've camped in.......great people work here and the grounds are clean and neat .....it's just 100 yards from Yellowstone and not expensive....West Yellowstone is a cool town as well! Thanx for the heads up!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 PM
JandC
Junior User
We just came back to Illinois from that area. I would suggest getting off the interstate and taking Route 287 north. You can stay around Jackson Hole (Grand Tetons) and see that first, then continue on up 287 into Yellowstone. We had been up in Seattle so we stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone (5th wheel). The west gate for the park is about 3 blocks from that RV park so we came and went into the park from there. Two days wasn't enough time to spend in the park but we had to start heading south. Anyway, we pulled our 39' fiver all the way through Yellowstone on Rt 287 with no problems and on into Grand Teton National Park. We stayed at Teton Range RV Resort in Moran WY. It was a good location because we would drive to Jackson Hole in about 25 minutes. Problem was it was a run down piece of crap campground and they charged over $200.00 for 2 days! We discovered, too late, two or three closer RV parks to Jackson Hole I wish we would have checked out. Now all this being said, we made reservations in April for this trip which started in June. A lot of those parks around the Tetons and Yellowstone are full this time of year. Good luck and if I can answer any other questions let me know.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,635 Likes on 743 Posts
I usually have horses with me, So I just pull off in the trees in the National Forest areas OUTSIDE of the park. I put a highline up in the trees and camp. No amenities, But who cares.

I then ride into the remote areas of the park. For me, I've seent he main attractions along the roads way too many times and prefer to get off the beaten path into the back country.

This is on the Ashton ID to Flag Ranch road along the South Boundary of the park

This is the trail between Hayden Valley and Old Faithful. About half way in you come to Lake Mary on Mary Mountain.

Hayden Valley

Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Very cool Painted Horse... Love the photos...

Glad Map Man 1 and Ken are having a good time as well.

I just saw yellowstone not quite a month ago... I did the southern main attractions a couple of years ago, including MOAB.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,635 Likes on 743 Posts
Moab, Zions, San Rafael Swell is where I go in the winter and early spring months. Yellowstone is a summer destination. I'm about equal distance between the two,

We enjoy riding the horses with the Buffalo

Of course the Water falls on the Pitchstone Mesa section of the park are stunning

Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Map Man 1
Senior User
We also stayed at the Teton Range Campground......we paid for 4 days in advance and left in 2 days and went to Grizzly Rv in West Yellowstone......leaving today to go tt o Gardiner, Mt for 2 days ,then back to Grizzly RV......great vacation, so far, yesterday we saw 500 buffalo(which are always plentiful) 5 bears(2 cubs) and a moose......the boys would like to see some sheep, but haven't had that happen yet.....all has been fun except for the Teton Campgroud............pretty slow moving through the wilderness, but with this many people i guess that's the best.....some guy ran off the road yesterday and hit a tree and kept us all stalled for a couple hours.....I like Painted Horse's idea of how to view Yellowstone!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Map Man 1
Senior User
Just arrived at the Rocky Mountain Campground in Gardiner, Mt (North Entrance to the Park)......really nice folks at the campground and very clean facilities.....we probably saw 500-600 buffalo and another bear closeup yesterday.......Gardiner and Mammoth Springs are my favorite.......can't really believe we haven't seen very many Elk.....Grant and I did glass 7or8 mountain goats last evening on the way to the northeast entrance....pretty cool!...going rafting today with Flying Pig in Gardiner