Sponsored by:

Is a diesel ideal for long commutes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
BrianDye
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in the market for a new (to me) vehicle for awhile now, waiting a bit longer to build my credit up a bit more, and I have some questions about diesels.

I grew up around my uncle and grandpa driving lifted F2/350 diesels, and as a kid, fell in love with them. I've never owned one, nor do I know much more than the basics about them.

I want to buy a truck and lift it, and it would be my DD for at least a year, but possibly longer.

95% of my drive is my work commute which is about 35 all-highway miles, and occasionally trips into town.

Some friends tell me to go for it, and I'll never want to get rid of it, and other friends are saying itl be the biggest mistake to buy a diesel as a DD.

As for climate, (since some seem to have problems starting in the winter) our summers range from 70 degrees-100ish, and Winters get down to -30 at times. I would be parked right in front of my garage so running a cord for a block heater would be no problem.

If it matters, I'm looking for 4 doors and preferably the long bed. Might even consider an Excursion but the people that have the ones I like know what they have, lol.

Do you guys have any regrets buying your diesels vs a gasser? I'm leaning towards the 7.3 also, but wouldn't mind a newer body style with the 6.4 but I hear some horror stories about them.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:33 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
i have had diesels trucks as daily drivers for the past 26 years.
with the cost of fuel these days though, i have been using the car a lot more, because it get the same mileage. so it costs less to drive the car.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have just about the best possible ford diesel combination for mileage A 2000 7.3 2wd xl with a 6speed with only 110k miles It averages 20mpg

And I walk right past it every morning to get in a 2000 v6 auto short bed GMC Sierra with over 230k miles. It's quieter, rides better, gets essentially the same mileage but on far far cheaper fuel and oil changes and will not be irreplaceable when I wear it out merely transporting my butt from A to B and back each day

Buying a diesel to commute isn't necicarily a bad idea. But having to buy a 3/4 ton > just for the privilege kinda is.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Buy what you want. If you want a diesel buy a diesel.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianDye

As for climate, (since some seem to have problems starting in the winter) our summers range from 70 degrees-100ish, and Winters get down to -30 at times. I would be parked right in front of my garage so running a cord for a block heater would be no problem.
iv never owned a gas engine that starts so easy when cold as my diesels.
those glow plugs are a very,very nice thing.

i can't help ya with your debate though.im far,far,far too cheap to ever desire driving a truck (of gas or diesel) around empty,let alone a lifted one on large rubber for fun.it's so easy to say when you prefer driving a car anyway though.good luck to ya.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ideal no, manageable yes.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
A diesel would be ideal for a long commute. Something like a TDI or old Rabbit diesel, though, not a truck.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
^^^^Truth^^^^

Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
35 miles is a long commute?
Thats barely enough to get the block up to operating temp on a 3/4 ton truck.
You can do it if you want, but might be wasting some money.
Diesel are ideal for long trips, like multiple hours, and towing. If you aren't doing either, your probably throwing money away on it.
A 4 door 4x4 diesel will maybe get 20 MPG, put a lift and bigger tires on, and say hello to 16 MPG tops, highway.

What about a gas truck, and with the money saved, but a little commuter car?
Just drive the truck when you have extra cash to burn?

Gas engines start way easier than diesel, unless they aren't running right.

It sounds like there is more "want" than "need" here, so if you want one, by all means go for it.
What about a cheaper IDI 6.9 or 7.3 truck? Sometimes you can find good deals on them, I even seen them with recently rebuilt engines for cheap.

Or does this need to be a coal rolling mall crawler?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Ya'll know we are just talking to ourselves at this point, the OP hasn't been on in over two weeks.

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
A diesel would be ideal for a long commute. Something like a TDI or old Rabbit diesel, though, not a truck.
Personally I think an IDI/E4OD in something like a 69 Torino would make an awesome commuter.

I got these crazy ideas, how about a mutt combination of a F250HD4WD/IDI/E4OD and a 1970-71 Ranchero with the Torino GT grill. Not tall, but not low, F250HD to use the D50TTB in order to carry the weight, have 4WD, IFS, and not too tall, with the right mods a TTB can get pretty low. Go really crazy and put a CC dually rear axle in it and tub it with a 5th wheel hitch.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
35 miles is a long commute?
Thats barely enough to get the block up to operating temp on a 3/4 ton truck.
You can do it if you want, but might be wasting some money.
Diesel are ideal for long trips, like multiple hours, and towing. If you aren't doing either, your probably throwing money away on it.
A 4 door 4x4 diesel will maybe get 20 MPG, put a lift and bigger tires on, and say hello to 16 MPG tops, highway.

What about a gas truck, and with the money saved, but a little commuter car?
Just drive the truck when you have extra cash to burn?

Gas engines start way easier than diesel, unless they aren't running right.

It sounds like there is more "want" than "need" here, so if you want one, by all means go for it.
What about a cheaper IDI 6.9 or 7.3 truck? Sometimes you can find good deals on them, I even seen them with recently rebuilt engines for cheap.

Or does this need to be a coal rolling mall crawler?
WTF are you talking about parkland? It doesn't take 35 miles to warm up the engine...

Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
agreed. my diesels will be at operating temps in 5 miles or less.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
WTF are you talking about parkland? It doesn't take 35 miles to warm up the engine...
OK not 35 to warm up, but it takes multiple miles just to get to operating temperature.
This was my major point, is that if you spend half the trip warming up, that's not really ideal.
Depending on where you live, and time of year, it could take less.
My diesels have taken about 5 miles to warm up in summer, and about 15 when it's really cold.
Obviously they still run fine, for a 1 mile trip, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone to do on a daily basis.
I've seen the oil on some trucks that run short trips, it looks like greyish brown foamy garbage, the moisture collects in there, and never burns out.

The OP says winter can be -30, that is pretty cold. That means a lot of idling to warm up, and wear and tear.

Can you own a diesel and drive 35 miles a day? Sure you can, many do.
Is it going to save any money? Most likely not.
Maybe if you live somewhere thats hot all year.

I drive 100 miles with mine, otherwise I usually take my car, which is better on gas and warms up faster, and burns cheaper fuel.

I just want the OP to realize, that when some guys post up here that they get 20 MPG, (or whatever) on trips, he is unlikely to see that, with shorter trips. Thus becoming less economical.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
And also, a stock 6.4, with emissions system intact, I wouldn't consider for a commute like that, at all. When mine had the DPF, and it was -30, it was regen time every time I drove away after warming up, almost every time. Maybe the 5% gov't mandated biodiesel at play, who knows, but it wasn't a good thing, and mileage took a crap when cold because of that.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
The warm up thing I as true for spark engines as it is for compression engines.

Quick Reply: Is a diesel ideal for long commutes?