1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the Dumbest Thing You’ve Ever Done with Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3

One of our editors here at Ford Truck Enthusiasts used his iPhone to capture the “Built Ford Tough” demonstration you see above.
I don't really see what, if anything, the make/model of truck has to do with this. Would you have ripped on it as hard if it was a Dodge or a Chevy? It sounds to me like you don't like Ford for some reason.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That story about hauling a heavy load of hay reminded me of an experience like that...I don't know what the weight was and don't even recall how many round bales was on the trailer...It was in 1994 and I worked as summer help on a colorado ranch...they loaded the trailer and told me to haul it down the ranch road to the main road...I had to stop at a wire gate and open it.The truck was a late 80's / early 90's "heavy half" kind of chevy truck. I put it in low and set the parking brake. As I got out the truck started skooching on down the road! Only thing I could do was hurry the hell up and open the gate and get back in the truckas it skooched a few inches at a time. My youthfull self learned a little something about heavy trailers, underrated trucks and gravity.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBlueF3
My youthfull self learned a little something about heavy trailers, underrated trucks and gravity.

Funny stuff.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
yeah, that trailer was loaded like the pic in TwigsV10 Avatar pic. The truck was one of those with crappy manual trans that you started out in 1, got er going with real high rpms to about 15-20mph, go to second and it does the ,, wah wah wah wah wahhhh engine lugging thing because the gears are so far apart..did that empty! I think I remember the bales being about 1300 pounds of good mountain timothy/brome grass.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
When I first got my truck the horn didn't work. Messed around with a couple things, checked the horn button and springs under the steering wheel and stuff.. Relay.. grounding... Didn't seem like much could go wrong with a horn, but didn't want to spend any money. Maybe the horn itself is bad? Better check that before trying a new one. There's only one element on the F100. So I removed it from the grill and set it on my bench. Nice substantial lookin thing, hate to replace it with golly knows what.

Had a battery charging up right there on the bench too, so let's hook it up directly as a test. Nope, no sound outta this thing, must be junk. Tried smacking it around a bit. This does work with some mechanical items, Maybe it's stuck down in there. There was also a can of WD40 sitting there. Thinkin' mayybe a bug made a nest in there or, whatever vibrates to make sound got corroded deep inside there, that could happen, let's try that. Gotta be it. Worth a try anyway.

So I sprayed a big ole slug of WD down there and waited. No bugs come out, so we're good there I'm thinkin'. Did some other stuff, and came back to it. Nothin'. Then sprayed another round of WD some more, making sure it swirled down the snail-like horn passage down into the business end. Dang I'm smart! That sure is a lot of WD-40 in there. Hooked it back up and...... nothin'. Dangit.

So I picked it up.. first mistake..- maybe if I bang on it directly here on tha voice coil lookin part, bet that's what's stuck. Smack that I'm thinkin' .... it will get things moving again... Second mistake... I'm peering intently right into the throat of this thing from about a foot away. What the heck is wrong with this thing?!

And then, time sort of slowed down, it goes CA-CHUK!!!, really super duper loud, and echoes do through the neighborhood, actin' like it's getting ready to do something, and starts a gurgling sound and "well it's fixed now" but knew I was gonna get sprayed, - well when that thing finally went off, was right in my face like the queen frigging Mary at a hockey game and all that WD40 shot outta there like a fire hose, scared the crap outta me, tho I started laughing probably while blasted realizing what an idiot I was. Still works real good today, tho don't mess with it no more.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
That sounds like something that could happen to me. LOL!
I have a 63 F100 Unibody with a non working horn! Hasn't worked since I got it...Always figured it to be a relay, but never really looked into it. Ever figure out what was actually causing it to not work and then suddenly go off? Corrosion deep in side?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Anything I say can and will be used against me..........

Let's see, 1400 pounds of tongue weight on a bumper designed for 500 pounds, first big bump I hit resulted in the bumper and the trailer tongue dragging on the pavement.........only 1/2 mile to go, so just keep going. (It was an awesome display of sparks, from what I was told)

Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Yeah, it was just rusted or corroded, stuck horn elementI guess. Try it. (Not a foot from your face) Get some WD40 or. PB blaster or something like that way down in there, and try banging or rapping on the horn with the handle of a screwdriver or something, maybe while somebody presses the horn button at the same time. Maybe the power ON part isn't necessary but did work, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flainn
I don't really see what, if anything, the make/model of truck has to do with this. Would you have ripped on it as hard if it was a Dodge or a Chevy? It sounds to me like you don't like Ford for some reason.

I think the inference that the super duty was stronger than the plane since it knocked it out of air service...

or at least that's how I read it YRMV

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Joe Bloomingdale
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this was as bone headed as it gets, on Mothers Day last year in her own driveway I managed to back into my Mom's car. I thought it was further down the driveway and never even hit the brakes. Not a scratch on my truck( hitch took most of the shot) but $ 1,600 damage to hers.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WyoBlueF3
yeah, that trailer was loaded like the pic in TwigsV10 Avatar pic. The truck was one of those with crappy manual trans that you started out in 1, got er going with real high rpms to about 15-20mph, go to second and it does the ,, wah wah wah wah wahhhh engine lugging thing because the gears are so far apart..did that empty! I think I remember the bales being about 1300 pounds of good mountain timothy/brome grass.
Dad had one of these light 3/4 ton Chevys and I wouldn't dream of trying to pull that kinda lode with it! It wouldn't just be stupid it'd be insane, if you did ever get up to highway speed stopping isn't going to happen any time soon. My 06 f350 v10 moves the trailer vs the trailer moving the truck.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 AM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
My memory started working on that episode and it came back to me that it was so squatted in the back that the front tires had minimal steering...All's I did was get it down the little two track ranch road, through a couple wire gates and over to a stack yard where a tractor/loader was used to unload and stack it.
The same boss that had me drive that load down the hill then had me drive a little tractor with the siccle bar mower/cutter attached back to the main ranch (20 miled on blacktop road). Right after assigning that duty to me, he hopped in his truck and took off. I then noticed the siccle bar was down. As luck would have it, there was no tools to unbolt it and raise it for transport. No cell phones back then. It was either drive like that or walk... I drove it and made it without any mishaps. That was a long drive though, at about 15 mph and constantly worrying about that bar sticking out 8 feet . Ahhh, the good ol days!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Traildust
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had just finished changing the oil and filter plus a new fuel filter. For some unknown reason and still to this day I don't know why, I just screwed the fuel cap down by hand and not even tight. I decide that a couple of koeo cycles to get fuel bowl primed was a good idea. So I am setting there behind the wheel listening to the fuel pump run and wondering wth when my wife walks by and casually ask about all the water draining out from under the truck. That darned thing can really make a mess.
Bill

Old 05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Towing this 100 miles

Like this

Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ufvj217
Towing this 100 miles....
I thought I hadn't done anything stupid with my truck yet...but your post reminded me of something stupid I did do with my truck. My Nissan broke down on me about 10 miles from home on my way to work. So got a ride home to pick up the 350 and rented tow dolly to go pick it up. I loaded it up no problem. As I was in a hurry and was burning up vacation hours at work taking care of it I forgot two important things....

1. Forgot to take the Nissan out of gear. Luckily as I pulled away from the side of the road I did a u-turn to head home and had the feeling I better pull over to make sure I released the parking brake. As I've left it set on the 350 for 10 miles I doubt I would have noticed it being set on my tiny little Nissan. My wife jumped out to check for me and informed me that I left it in gear. I don't know what kind of damage that would have caused, even if I was following the 55 mph limit recommended by Nissan when towing with the rear wheels on the ground. 55 mph....1st gear...yeah...

2. When I got home I went to unhook and realized I never hooked up the safety chains to the Nissan and the tire straps were all that was holding it, which is normally what does hold it...but what if something had come loose. I learned that day that when it comes to towing, double check everything even if you are in a hurry.

Now I'm kind of paranoid and always triple check the hookups on my utility trailer before I pull away from the house.

Quick Reply: What’s the Dumbest Thing You’ve Ever Done with Your Truck?